Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

need advice on bed

>

mom23kids

need advice on bed
Old 11-30-2019, 10:49 AM

My dd is buying a mattress today.. My question is what kind is good and more importantly what goes under it?? A box spring or a metal frame? I'm trying to keep in mind that it needs to be as movable as possible because when her lease is over, she'll need to move to the next place (hopefully not my garage)

mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 11-30-2019, 11:02 AM

When my kids moved into their apts I ordered them the bed in a box type from Amazon ( got the Olee hybrid springs and gel memory foam, 13 inch) and the metal platform frame and a non slip pad to go under mattress. Delivered to their new place. Easy peasy since mattress shopping and delivery in big cities was going to be a nightmare. About $375 total each kid. Queen size mattress. ( 2 years ago)
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 11-30-2019, 11:26 AM

I spent hours shopping for a bed yesterday. The brand name ones are so pricey and you can't compare from store to store because they all have their own name.

I decided I'm going with a top quality no name mattress & box spring. It's about half the price, so if it sucks in 5 years I won't mind replacing it. Our favorite mattress was our first one that was a no name. I've tried all the big brands and spent $$$$ on mattress hate after a year.

I had not realized the metal frame is so popular. I am not going with it. I know Mattress Firm is have a buy a mattress size, pay for size smaller and get free metal adjustable frame through Sunday. (Was still 50% more than my off brand choice.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 11-30-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I had not realized the metal frame is so popular.
I did not either but for apt livivg, especially college kids and just graduated ones who might move yearly for a while, they take less room, fold up, and are easier to move from place to place than a traditional box spring. Just renting a uhaul in big college cities ( where my twins each live) when everyone basically moves at the same time is hassle enough, haha!
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 11-30-2019, 11:44 AM

right Twinmom.. we need something easy to move in a year from now or rather 8 months.. She took a sublease which ends in august. I think I'll recommend she go with t he metal frame. Thanks

mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Smurfette

Old 11-30-2019, 12:47 PM

Check out amazon. I bought a memory foam mattress and an all metal frame that also serves in place of a box spring. I have it in the spare bedroom-it seems perfectly comfortable to me. Also, check out the height of the metal frame because some are specifically tall enough to allow storage underneath (thinking of Rubbermaid style containers.)
Smurfette is offline   Reply With Quote

elspeech

Old 11-30-2019, 02:59 PM

Since it is only short term, could she just go with an air mattress - cheap and easily movable until she is older and settled into a more permanent situation?
elspeech is online now   Reply With Quote