Help

The VENT

Oh that rumors are true...

>

MissAgnes

Oh that rumors are true...
Old 12-02-2019, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just heard that one of my most problematic students is moving to a new school. He's on a zone exemption, and lives about 15 minutes away. Actually, he lives ACROSS THE STREET from another school.
He's chronically absent - like 30 absences this year, 20 tardies. Mom is crazy and mean. He's a huge bully, disrespectful, and rude.
On one hand, I feel bad for him because he's a product of his environment. He is super bright, and has a ton of potential, but his behavior and lack of attendance are stack against him.
On the other hand, it will totally change the dynamics of my classroom, since he is the main instigator of problems.

MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 12-02-2019, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I hope it's true and he's taken out of your life and the lives of your students.

We had a student like that here, at the high school level. He had severe anger issues, started fights, would throw furniture at people, was rude, abrasive, and had repeatedly implied that he didn't care about the feelings of others. While long term subbing at this school, I had him in one class per day and it happened to be my largest class; I dreaded seeing him.

When he stopped showing up regularly, I raised the issue at a meeting and was told that he may have possibly moved away, and they would have to check. Beyond that, the topic was dropped. He was gone for about two months, and the whole dynamic in my class, and in the school overall (it is a small school), changed significantly without him there. Lots of problematic classes had their issues basically evaporate because they were all stirred up by this one kid. At meetings, I was basically the only one bringing up his chronic absences and I'm sorry to say that I only brought it up out of duty; I was actually enjoying my job without him making my biggest class more hectic than it should've been. If you asked me honestly, I'd tell you that I was glad he was gone.

When he came back in the end, nobody was particularly thrilled about it. Now that I look back on it, this was just another case of a student who should have been suspended but wasn't because having him there netted the school funding.

... Dunno why I rambled like this, but just know that you're not alone in feeling that way. Good luck to you. Hopefully he's safe etc. etc. and just not in your hair anymore so you can work without dealing with all that drama every day.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 12-02-2019, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've been in your shoes more than once. The rumors were true in both cases for me, I hope they are for you as well. It's crazy how ONE kid can change the dynamics of everything - recess, cafeteria, specials, and most importantly your classroom.
checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 12-02-2019, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had that kid once - except he was twins. Thankfully never In the same class. The other ones teacher and I went out for drinks the day it was confirmed they’d moved and presented at another school.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 12-03-2019, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In my area when exceptions are made regarding school boundaries, they are always granted with the proviso that attendance be regular. With that number of absences and tardies, the student would be dropped and need to attend the neighborhood school.

TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

I wish.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our district does what the parents want. We tried very, very hard to get this kid's exemption pulled LAST year for the same reason. I had one year when a student missed 90 days of school. That's half of the year. They still wouldn't pull the exemption.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote