Help

BusyBoard

Christmas Elf and tree?

>

Munchkins

Christmas Elf and tree?
Old 12-04-2019, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do those if you in private school put up a Christmas tree in your rooms or have an elf on the shelf? I don’t have either, and feel a bit like a grinch.

I try to keep December as calm as possible, sticking to our routines as much as possible. I am doing all of the religious activities and fun schoolwide activities, but am keeping my focus in my room on the religious aspects of Christmas, and sticking to our curriculums. .

Just wondering if I’m the only one! My partner goes all out- I feel like I’m trying to teach next door to Santa’s workshop!

Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-04-2019, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't put any decorations out at school.

We do a door decorating thing every year, and sometimes mine has a holiday flavor - but I try to keep it low key, also. Things are crazy enough without schools going all in for the holiday. I am with you. Let the celebrations happen at home.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 12-04-2019, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a ten inch tree, tiny nutcracker and tiny elf. The elf stays still. Itís enough to be festive but not overbearing.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Christmas
Old 12-04-2019, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes to the Christmas Tree - along with tinsels and wreaths around the room

It's maybe a little different here because it's actually also summer holidays, so schools out! So it's fine by me if the Christmas decorations put kids in a bit of a party mood- we only have 3 days left!

So of my co-teachers decorate and some don't. To each their own
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 12-04-2019, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Before I retired, I put up tree because I liked the extra light, but never did the elf on the shelf.

Song of Joy is online now   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Speaking of Santa's Workshop...
Old 12-05-2019, 02:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

A fifth-grade teacher (with some courage--this was in a public school) created an entire unit based on Santa's Workshop. Students had to identify the various jobs required... write job descriptions, decide which job they would like and why... the kids really got into it!

I can't speak with any authority regarding private schools and what's allowed/encouraged. I do think, however, that we can't ignore what's going on outside of school. At least acknowledge it, maybe with some creativity, leverage it.

Depending on the grade you teach, maybe decorate a simple tree with one of those paper chains... each student makes a link representing the individual but the chain shows how we are all connected and can create... beauty? opportunity? team?

If you feel like a grinch (in my day it was Scrooge) you've probably answered your own question.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2019, 02:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I teach 5 year olds, so it’s hard to keep them from going bonkers. The school emphasizes the virtue of generosity this month, and we are celebrating Advent with advent wreaths and Jesse trees. We are doing number grid puzzles of Christmas items and art projects related to the birth of Jesus. We also have the Christmas concert, we carol at this assisted living facility next door, and leave out a shoe tonight to be filled by st. Nicholas tonight. (6th grade tradition) And we will spend a day in our pjs watching the Polar Express, drinking hot chocolate, and eating cookies. I think that’s enough.

I just don’t want to add a tree or an Elf on the Shelf. I think we’re ok. I do have curriculum to teach! Just a tad Grinchy.

Last edited by Munchkins; 12-05-2019 at 03:55 AM..

PrivateEyes

Nah
Old 12-05-2019, 04:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

First of all, I HATE HATE HATE the elf on the shelf.
A. It's a made up stunt to make money.
B. Its a lot of work for the parents/teachers
C. I just think it's dumb.

So, no no no no no on the elf, ever.

And I agree that there's enough going on with Christmas that you don't need to decorate your room. I do a tree out of books in the library, because I do displays anyway, but that's it. Even my bulletin board is wintery themed, not Christmas.

Plus, anything you've put up has to be taken down before winter break. Who wants to do that instead of going home and starting a well deserved rest?
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-05-2019, 06:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
I feel like Iím trying to teach next door to Santaís workshop!
I have to laugh at this because this week, I am teaching with Santa's workshop right outside my door.

Music. PTA covered the walls, ceiling, and tables with holiday decorations and are having an Elves' workshop for kids. This is great - except I can't tell you how many parents have come to approve their children's purchases. The concept is that students can buy their own secret presents for family members. Having parents come in, carry the kids money, and tell them what they can and can't buy, just doesn't seem to benefit the intention of the store. You want to do that, take your kid to Walmart or the Dollar Store and shop away.

It hasn't been as hard as I originally thought - just the while getting to my classroom as everyone who comes has to go through this hallway.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

Yup!
Old 12-05-2019, 09:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have a tiny tree that I put near my desk. I also hang some lights up and have an elf.

It's motivating for me and, while the kids might be a little bit crazier, it's also a special time of the year for them. I teach kinder and they love reading next to the tree and writing about our elf. I also use our elf to incorporate fun activities, like writing about his activities, reading books the elf brought them, etc.

I teach at a charter though, not a private school. I try not to mention the real reason of Christmas and I also frequently read stories about other winter celebrations. Right before break we do a holiday around the world activity too.

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 12-08-2019, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I put up my 5ft, skinny Christmas tree in a back corner of my room. It has colored lights and garland with a fake snow blanket as a skirt. It took 10 min to assemble. Our weekly art lessons have a Christmas theme and get hung up in the hallways. I keep things business as usual in the classroom.
But, it's January where I shine when it comes to winter decorations. The students will come back to white and icicle lights and snowflakes hanging from the ceiling. It really brightens up our Jan and Feb when it is cold and dark outside.
all41 is online now   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Little tree
Old 12-08-2019, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I found out that the tree my partner offered me was a small tabletop one, and we had room for that, and it looks nice.

I like giving ownership of the room to the kids, so I had them make pattern paper link chains during math. During literacy we worked on elf glyphs for listening skills and used these to decorate our room.

I still donít think I need to go out and buy a bunch of decorations, and Iím not a fan of the Elf on the Shelf, but halving their handiwork up is festive. Thanks again!