Help

The VENT

Friends Who Sell Things

>

MissESL

Friends Who Sell Things
Old 12-04-2019, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I’m not talking about your second grader’s candy fundraiser or your daughter the girl scout’s cookie sales or FB marketplace type things.

I’m talking your friend who does Scentsy, Norwex, Thirty-One, Beach Body, Faster Way, Paparazzi Jewely, Panpered Chef, Tastfeully Simple...on their personal page...
Every hour.
Of every day.
On my feeds.
In my inbox.

I signed up to be your friend. I did NOT sign up to be your customer. I want to support your entrepreneurial endeavors...but I don’t want to keep being assaulted by your spam after I buy something once or just say no thanks. I still want to see the big events and your kids’ pictures, and I still want to keep up with your life. I just don’t want your crazy ads and “but wait there’s more” and “look at these comparison body pics!” anymore. The end.

MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 12-04-2019, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My FB feed is being clogged with people selling crap. It’s ridiculous. Not just selling crap, but trying to get me to jump on board and sell their crap with them. That’s a hard pass thanks.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 12-04-2019, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I understand completely.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Oh no!
Old 12-04-2019, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I thought you were interested in those kitchen gadgets. I sent you a PM with the best deals. Please ignore.

Just kidding ... I hate it too.
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Not a small business
Old 12-04-2019, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What gets me is when people tout these as "small businesses". I guess last Saturday was "Small Business Saturday". I'm sorry, but Pampered Chef and Rodan & Fields are NOT small businesses. Berkshire Hathaway paid $900 million for Pampered Chef back in 2002.

tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

iloveglitter2

Yes!!!
Old 12-04-2019, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes! I made a rule at one point, that is until I broke it, to never buy from friends. I had a friendship go sour because I was not buying much from her Mary Kay store.
iloveglitter2 is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

No Thank You
Old 12-05-2019, 03:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I hide people who sell things on FB. I don't want to see endless sales pitches from representatives of MLM companies.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Angelo

Oh yes
Old 12-05-2019, 04:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It gets exhausting being the target of everybody’s side hustle. Suddenly, every high school friend and distant cousin is into pampered chef or else wants to sell me real estate or be my financial planner or talk to me about my mortgage rate.

I can smell a sales pitch a mile away. But my wife is one of those people who’s “too nice” and has a hard time saying no to people. So when some cousin or old friend pops up on social media and says, “I’m into Scentsy these days? Have you heard of it?” my wife innocently writes back, “Oh... that sounds interesting... good for you.” I’m like, NO! NO! NO! And wife is all, “What? All I said was it sounds interesting. I’m just trying to be polite.” And then I say, “Yeah... wait for it.” Then a minute later the cousin writes back about my wife hosting a Scentsy party at our house and inviting all her friends and how she can get a cut of the sales and maybe even win a trip to Cancun. . My wife is one of those people who’d go to a time share presentation just for the free gift at the end, but it would end up with me having to try to get us out of the Orlando time share she somehow signed up for without realizing what she was agreeing to.

The ones that really bug me are the old acquaintances who propose to “catch up over coffee” when their real purpose is to try to sell me on Amway (or whatever they call that old Ponzi scheme these days) or financial planning or an education savings plan for the kids or a vacation condo or whatever. I get that when people get into certain businesses, they’re immediately told they have to hit up friends and family and “leverage all their contacts” or whatever, but I say have at least some modicum of self-respect, and don’t reach out to me under false pretences.
Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 12-05-2019, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This is a great blog about one woman’s horror story selling Younique. It really highlights the predatory nature of mlms.

https://ellebeaublog.com/2017/02/01/...ing-reeled-in/

Also if you’re interested (I really went down the rabbit hole ) the podcast The Dream shows how multilevel marketing has morphed from the Avon/Tupperware model of the 50s, when they gave women opportunities to get out of the house and make some minor income, into the social media nightmare they have become
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Yup
Old 12-05-2019, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Fair points to all. I did go down the rabbit hole a little bit, myself.

It’s also so prevalent now that I just assume “scam” and keep going.

MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote

70Primrose

Been there
Old 12-05-2019, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

When I first moved to my town I wanted friends so bad. My new town is 1,000 miles away from my home town. I was lost and lonely. I met a lady with kids the same age as mine and she seemed so nice. She just wanted to sell me make-up, Arbonne. She lived in the next town over, maybe 13 miles from me. She told me one day she was coming over to drop off my order. I figured she would come in and chat for a bit. No, she came to the door on her cell phone, handed me the bag and turned around and walked away. Every time she called me it was because she needed something (babysitting) or wanted to sell me something. I quit answering the phone when I saw it was her. It made me a little bitter about friends.
70Primrose is offline   Reply With Quote