Help

The VENT

I'm resigning tomorrow

>

hikinghiker

I'm resigning tomorrow
Old 12-05-2019, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

...and I am terrified of my principals reaction, not to mention my team and the fact that the Principal is totally going to imply something negative over email. Every time a staff member resigns (which has already happened twice this year) we get a note at the bottom of an email saying something snarky about them leaving. I know I'm going to be on the next email.

I'm going to continue teaching until the end of December and I will be (hopefully) starting a job at my new school the day we come back from winter break.

I just couldn't take it anymore at my current school. Classrooms are WAY too small to be developmentally appropriate (I have 25 kindergartens in a 20' by 30' room) and our school day is insane too. Kids come in at 7:45 and dismissal ends at 3:30. My co-teacher (who acts like a supervisor) said snacks aren't allowed, so these kids go long hours without eating. There's no play time allowed, no relaxing or de-stressing time, and every minute is accounted for. The kids only have 30 minutes of recess a day (including lunch recess) and any extra recess has to be scheduled and sent to admin in advance. It's so not appropriate for kindergarten and it kills me all the time when I see how exhausted they are, even with me trying to sneak in extra playtime in the class. Their test scores are great, but at what cost?

There's so much extra work for my school too. 10 grades into the grade book a week (in kinder!!!), exceedingly detailed lesson plans prepared two weeks in advance and submitted online, required hard grade book in addition to digital grade book which means I have to record 20 grades, dismissal duty every single day, morning duty every other week, and meetings schedules twice a week during our preps, plus after school meetings twice a week, one required after school club that we have to run, and the two committees everyone is required to be on. Not to mention the random extra paperwork they throw at us every so often.

The school isn't a good fit for me. But I'm still so afraid to turn in that letter. I know the principal is going to be really rude and snarky, and I feel bad for my grade level, even though I don't like my chair. I know the best thing to do is give it to my principal in person...but I really don't want to and bridges are going to be burned anyways. It's a charter too, so I won't really see them again, since the job I'm taking is in the public district. I'm torn between emailing it to her and HR, and seeing her in person.

Right now I'm feeling an odd mix between anxiety and hope

Thanks for listening to my anxiety vent!

hikinghiker is online now   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Play
Old 12-05-2019, 08:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

30 minutes recess and no extra play

Ridiculous. I'm glad you're resigning and I hope you let admin know why. That's crazy!
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

UniversalDes

First of all
Old 12-05-2019, 09:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Your principal is insane and sounds like the one I left two years ago. It is a big step to say "no more" but you must do this for your mental and physical health. Secondly, that admin has no idea of how the kindergarten brain develops and I would even go as far to say it's emotional and physical abuse. Kinders need to move and the grade requirements are ridiculous. Just reading your story is one of the reasons why my dissertation research focuses on this type of administrative behavior.

You are doing the right thing! Your admin is nuts!
UniversalDes is offline   Reply With Quote

justdc5

Old 12-06-2019, 03:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you do not want to deal with your principal's reaction, just send your resignation to HR. You already know how they are going to react. Good luck at your new achool.
justdc5 is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Leaving Your School
Old 12-06-2019, 03:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It sounds like a good decision to leave your school. Hopefully things go better than you anticipate after you notify your principal. I would do it by email after you have given written notification to HR.

travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Yogateech

Email
Old 12-06-2019, 04:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You mention your principal being snarky in the email.

Beat him to it. Email the staff your regrets about moving.
Yogateech is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

No guilt!
Old 12-06-2019, 04:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
The school isn't a good fit for me. But I'm still so afraid to turn in that letter. I know the principal is going to be really rude and snarky...
Please try not to worry about it. You already have another job, so it doesn't matter one whit what this principal says!!

You are right to leave that school, too! It's not an appropriate situation for young children, and I wouldn't be comfortable participating in it either.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

musiclover

Ignore them
Old 12-06-2019, 04:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I retired at the 11th hour, simply because my former P was not nice. Ever.

I told her on the last day of work for the teachers before summer break. i tried to tell her in person, but she was always 'busy' or chatting up some of her 'friends.'

I ended up telling her on the phone - when she called me - and I don't regret one minute of my decision.

It is not up to you to worry about what this person, or others, think. Let your conscience be clear if you have done a good job, and I know you have. Hold your head high and go to the new school happy and relieved. It won't take you long to forget this drama.

If you need support, just send me a message!
musiclover is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 12-06-2019, 06:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

A 20' x 30' room for 25 kindergarten children? Yikes! I'm not sure if your city's fire marshal would like that. It's up to you to decide if you'd like to contact that person before you leave.

You're making the right decision. Good luck to you.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 12-06-2019, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Good for you! Email the P, and yes, email the staff and let them know you're leaving before your nasty P can do it!

Don't you wish you could take the kids with you? It's so wrong for them to be treated this way.

Last edited by dutchgirl; 12-06-2019 at 10:14 AM..
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Resigning
Old 12-06-2019, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Eleanor Roosevelt said “no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.”

Do NOT let this cretin of a principal make you feel one teeny bit of angst over resigning. The place sounds dismal and developmentally inappropriate.

I like the other poster’s idea of sending an all staff message at the same time you email your P. “I have resigned my position effective XX. Moving on to a better fit. I will miss you.” And yes, I would use the phrase “better fit”.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

You are
Old 12-06-2019, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

The canary in the coal mine. I'm not surprised the school you're leaving is a charter school. I've heard similar horror stories from other teachers I know who once worked in charters. Your story is exactly why we PUBLIC school teachers need to stand together and support our DISTRICT schools and VOTE.

I wish you much success at your new school.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

Update
Old 12-06-2019, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Thank you so much for your support. I'm glad to know that this isn't the norm! I emailed in my resignation today at 3:30, so I could leave right after. I also deleted my school email off my computer and phone so I won't be tempted to check emails this weekend.

I can do this!

Munchkins

Congratulations!
Old 12-06-2019, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I’m thrilled for you! It is such a good move for you! Keep us posted!
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

Good for you!
Old 12-06-2019, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

You did the right thing! Great idea to delete email off your devices. Hoping you feel free. Have a wonderful weekend!!!
KetchupChips is online now   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Thought...
Old 12-07-2019, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I hope everything will go well with your resignation.

It seems to me your school should have resignation outtake interviews to find out from employees why they are leaving...but then, that would be too simple and eye opening for those in charge.

Let us know how things go next week. I am keeping my fingers crossed that your present employer with accept your leaving with no ugly stares and cold shoulder.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

Is this a public school?
Old 12-07-2019, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

In our state there are mandated number of minutes each day for physical activities and every public school must document that they are meeting these standards. Thirty minutes is not even close to enough time. This schedule for K students is so inappropriate and developmentally incorrect I can't even begin to list the ways.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Congrats on getting out of there
Old 12-07-2019, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

and deleting their email. I think it was smart to just email your decision. Snarky comments are made by "snarky people." Everyone knows that, I think. Best wishes in your new endeavors!
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

stephenPE

Old 12-08-2019, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I gotta know this. Is it a public school and what state. I feel so sorry for those children in kindergarten. That is absolutely insane. I have always said that teaching K was a super hero skill. What you were doing was beyond that. If my child was in there I would have been in the principal's office all the time and then up to the school board and Supt.
stephenPE is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

Update
Old 12-08-2019, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Night before Monday and I'm getting REALLY nervous to come to school tomorrow. Also, I forgot we have a staff meeting tomorrow so that's going to be sooooo awkward, especially because I'm pretty sure we're getting a Christmas bonus which we get every year. Now sure if I'll get one and if I should take it if I do.

Munchkins

Chin up!
Old 12-09-2019, 02:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Just keep your chin up and keep smiling. You have so much to look forward to! If you are given the bonus, just take it and say thank you. You deserve it!
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Old 12-10-2019, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

My whole school only gets 15 minutes of recess a day.
Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 12-10-2019, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

If you get offered the bonus, take it! You earned it.

They are losing their very best teacher
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote