Special Education

This parent is killing me.

>

Spedteach29

Spedteach29

This parent is killing me.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I previously taught prek sped and had a student with me for 3 years. He has ADHD but is extremely gifted academically. This year I transitioned to primary sped so I have him on my caseload as a kinder student. This parent was always super difficult and nothing ever pleases her, but itís gotten so much worse this year. This kid needs reminders to focus and attend, but other than that has no behavioral issues or learning difficulties. She constantly emails demanding a 1:1, demanding a daily sheet so she knows what heís doing all day (which weíve done), upset if someone doesnít remind him to put his hat on before he walks outside, upset if he falls in the gym and gets a bump that no one was protecting him.

Ahhhhh. Iím so over it.

His iep meeting is next week and I just know it will be a battle. At what point do you stop accomodating the parent when the student doesnít need it?

teabreak

Data
Old 12-07-2019, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would say itís all in the data for this parent. If you have the data to show the child is fine academically, then it really canít be disputed.

As for the reminders, again data. Show mom how many times Jr. is reminded to attend to task and the results of that. Also remind mom that kinders are forgetful and kinders fall down. This is normal development. If she is that worried, then perhaps learning at home would be better in those areas, but Jr. wonít progress as quickly socially if he is isolated.

You could also offer Velcro to keep the hat on the head and bubble wrap for playground time
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

IEP mom
Old 12-07-2019, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Parents have two conflicting jobs - protecting their kids and helping them grow.

It sounds like she's stuck in the "protecting" part, and having a hard time letting him grow. Try to be ultra reassuring that many of the things he's doing (like falling, or forgetting his hat) are common to all kids his age! Make sure she knows she's still a good mom if she lets him learn the hard way that when you forget your hat, you feel cold.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-07-2019, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When is his reevaluation? Will your P/sped director back you up?

It sounds to me like the child shouldn't even be on an IEP. I would probably move up the reevaluation and do as much testing as you possibly can- formal cognitive, formal academic, social/emotional, etc. That way you have tons of data to share and parent can't say there's other data they need to see. Even if there is an official ADHD diagnosis, there has to be an educational impact in order to get an IEP for it. Otherwise it's a 504 and could be not your problem . Having hard data to prove he doesn't qualify for an IEP is going to be a lot easier than "denying" accommodations/services that parents want as part of an existing IEP.

If your admin is supportive, I'd pull them into the meeting and like the pp said, make sure you are prepared with data to show what the child does and doesn't need. I'm sure your admin doesn't want to pay for a 1:1, so that should be denied pretty quickly. And I'd try to get parents to sign consent for a reeval- "It sounds like there are a lot of questions about what this student really needs to be successful. How about we reevaluate and make sure we have all of the information necessary to best understand his needs?"
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote