Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Homemade gifts for secretary, etc.

>

checkerjane

Homemade gifts for secretary, etc.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:44 AM

I always get a little something for the secretary, janitors, librarian, etc for my kiddo to give to them. I’ve done Bath and Body Works buy 3, get 3 for the last 5 years, so I decided something different this year, lol.

I’m semi-crafty, heavy on the semi , so I was thinking about the corn bags or rice bags . I’ve had a couple of them given to me over the years by students, and use them often.

I also found a thing on Pinterest where you put an orange, cinnamon sticks, cranberries and some other things in a gift bag. They have a cute little printable tag giving directions (you add water and warm it on on the stove).

Thoughts? Other suggestions?

checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Gifts to make
Old 12-07-2019, 10:57 AM

Have you ever made a tie blanket with fleece fabric? It is very easy. No sewing involved. They are warm and fuzzy and nice to have around for covering up while sitting in the living room. Plus they are inexpensive to make. You tube has videos with instructions.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 12-07-2019, 11:00 AM

I love rice bags! My sister made me a few that are really nice—they look almost like 3 beanbags stitched together (3 sections rather than one big rectangle—that way the filling can’t fall all to one side, the seams keep it fairly spread evenly) I use them all the time and think it’s a great gift!
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 12-07-2019, 01:33 PM

If you give them the rice bags you may want to consider two things— using flax seeds instead and making an outer cover that can be removed to be laundered. Also, of utmost importance is to use 100% cotton and thread. You don’t want them to ignite in the microwave!
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 12-07-2019, 06:24 PM

good tips, catwoman!

I also pinned how to make the Stove Simmer mix a few years ago...keep forgetting to do it.

I've made the twisty turbies for drying your hair out of towels before. I've also made washcloth mitts out of old towels. I have pinned the directions for making Swiffer dusters out of felt that can be cleaned and reused. I really need to get my sewing machined tuned up and have an expert tell me what I keep doing to muck it up so I can get back to making stuff!

a few years ago I made cloth napkins---should be pictures on here somewhere...I made about 8 or 12 (out of fabrics I picked up for CHEAP at Goodwill) and paired with a couple wooden spoons.

once I made dish scrubbies out of netting (ick--WONT be doing that again!) and paired with Dawn dish soap that I got on super-sale.

I LOVE to make gifts and LOVE getting (and therefore giving) useful presents!

tia is offline   Reply With Quote