Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Gifts for admin?

>

SoCalTeach

Gifts for admin?
Old 12-07-2019, 01:00 PM

Buying gifts for admin... principal, APs (two of which have nothing to do with me)? Iíve bought all in the past and continually do NOT receive any type of thank you. Is it worth it to continue buying for them? Will it look bad if I donít?

SoCalTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-07-2019, 01:05 PM

It honestly would never occur to me to buy gifts for admin. Is this something that everyone at your school does? If you've always done something in the past I might do a card just so it's not as noticeable (if they honestly even remember you gave them gifts in the past), but I wouldn't worry at all about not getting a gift.

When I first started at my current school I got little things for my teammates, like less than $5 each. Honestly it seemed to make them more uncomfortable than anything because they hadn't gotten me anything. I didn't care about that at all, and like I said it was hardly any money, but I never did it again because it didn't really come off as I intended.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 12-07-2019, 01:08 PM

I think gifting should flow downward, not up. I'm not buying gifts for anyone who makes more than I do, lol.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

No
Old 12-07-2019, 01:12 PM

You do not have to buy gifts for your principal. Employees are never obligated to give a gift to someone with power over them and that includes principals. Sometimes its even against rules to give bosses gifts. So stop this unnecessary gift giving and dont worry about it. You are doing the right thing.
MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 12-07-2019, 01:14 PM

Iím doing nothing for admin or secretaries this year. Iím probably not even doing anything for my ďteamĒ (and I use that term loosely as one has actually tried to sabotage me). I have one team mate I genuinely like and thatís it.

I refuse to spend money on people who are making my job harder this year.

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 12-07-2019, 01:21 PM

At the beginning of the year someone collects to a fund that provides principal gift, new baby gifts, etc. I always figured that was enough.

But, then one year I realized that some people also gave individual gifts. How did I figure it out? Principal did not want to write individual thank you notes. So she put one thank you on the bulletin board in the teacher's room (along with a list of the gifts and the givers).

Did the note inspire me to give a gift the next year? Absolutely not. And I think she angered some of the givers and they stopped giving.

The person at the school I gave a gift to is the custodian who cleaned my room.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 12-07-2019, 01:24 PM

I too believe that giving flows up. I do give admin and office staff Christmas cards with sincere, brief notes inside.

I know it sounds petty, but both my admins have no kids or pets, their parents are youngish and live independently. Yet they have NEVER in 3 years done so much as Krispy Kreme at staff meetings or something for Teacher Appreciation Week. No lie- each year we're invited to come pick something off the "treat cart" for Teacher Appreciation Week. It's all vendor samples from trophy vendors, pen vendors, etc., along with stray school/office supplies that I have seen in our Title I supply closet.

Our office staff all do their job well, but are socially awkward/rude most of the time.
bookgeek59 is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Admin gifts
Old 12-07-2019, 01:28 PM

I always did just because I wanted to and I wanted to show that I appreciated them as administrators. I have heard horror stories of some and am still very grateful that except for one very brief period I was extremely fortunate to work with people who were on your side. I taught for over 30 years so that's saying a lot.

For years the gift I gave each of them was an extremely easy but delicious chocolate bundt cake. Now that I volunteer I still bake the cakes except for last year when my kitchen was being renovated.

I think something like a cake or a plate of cookies would be a very nice gift if that is something you enjoy doing.

I just read bookgeek59's post. In that situation I would not have gone to the trouble either. However our administrators are just the opposite. They frequently provide snacks for staff meetings and lunches a couple of times a year.
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Nope
Old 12-07-2019, 01:37 PM

Why do you purchase gifts for people who continually don't thank you?
travelingfar is online now   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 12-07-2019, 02:38 PM

Etiquette rules say do not gift your supervisor.

If you feel the need to do something bring in a plate of cookies for everyone

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

Admin gifts
Old 12-07-2019, 02:59 PM

Our ďSunshine ClubĒ worked on gifts for principal, secretary and custodial staff. I only gave my assistant a gift. I barely had time when I taught to shop for my family and do all the decorating at home. I never felt the need.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

maui

Old 12-07-2019, 03:30 PM

Just curious- do you buy them gifts because everyone else does???? Never in a million years would I think of buying my principal oneó- he is not a likeable person- so that makes it easy for me. I have given here and there small gifts to the secretaries before. However at my friendís school they have a gift giving culture-they do gifts to their own grade level peers, office staff,administrators, parent volunteers and custodians. Personally I would never give a gift to anybody that I wouldnít care for.
maui is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I never did
Old 12-07-2019, 03:45 PM

Our social committee handled it. They received gifts from the staff at our holiday party. I did personally gift the secretaries and my custodian, and sometimes, as a grade level
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 12-07-2019, 05:37 PM

We do a money tree every year for our P. The counselor comes around with a checklist of everyone’s name. I have a really hard time giving to someone who makes a little more than 2x what I make and who doesn’t do anything for us and who makes my job harder than it already is, but I do because...you know...the checklist.
checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 12-07-2019, 05:53 PM

I don't give gifts at work. I give gifts to whom I choose, and it's not at work.

Seriously? A money tree? I want one for me!

Quote:
I have a really hard time giving to someone who makes a little more than 2x what I make and who doesn’t do anything for us and who makes my job harder than it already is, but I do because...you know...the checklist.
Stop it! Screw the checklist! It's wrong in so many ways. You work hard for your money, you choose where you want to donate. Tell the counselor you already spent your donation budget.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 12-07-2019, 06:14 PM

NO WAY... I even like my admins, but NO. I think they would find it awkward and inappropriate. And I know I would.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 12-07-2019, 06:18 PM

this is an interesting thread! if you don't really like someone....or you have other good reasons, yep, don't gift!

I have always liked (well...there have been a couple of bummers---but most of them) my admins---and they have been good leaders and nice and caring people and giving, as well, so I usually do give a gift---which depends on how well I know the person and his/her likes.

this year's P is getting the same as all my "helper teachers"--a bottle of BBW soap with a note that says "Washing you a Merry Christmas!"--so nothing big. (I give gifts to my work friends--anyone I text personal stuff and hang out with, and I also gift every staff member that works with my kids---well, that pulls them.)
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 12-07-2019, 06:53 PM

There are some Ps who make a list, check it twice. Gonna find out who gave something and who didn't.
JanetL is online now   Reply With Quote

4leaves

Years ago
Old 12-07-2019, 07:00 PM

I gave a gift to my principal at a school I had worked at since September. It was smoked salmon. I received no acknowledgment or thank you. It turned out to be the coldest principal I have ever worked for, but who does that?
4leaves is offline   Reply With Quote

ASAM

Checkerjane
Old 12-07-2019, 07:01 PM

A money tree? As in a tree of cash? For someone who makes admin salary? This is shocking to me. I think this would make any admin I have ever had very uncomfortable.
On a side note, years ago the nurse would come around each year and stand there as you made your contribution to United Way. It was very awkward and eventually stopped. Now it's all online but you really felt compelled to give.
ASAM is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Asam
Old 12-07-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
A money tree? As in a tree of cash? For someone who makes admin salary? This is shocking to me. I think this would make any admin I have ever had very uncomfortable.
Yup. Every year. The counselor collects the money and when the P is at the music program, she (counselor) goes into Pís office and puts it on her desk. Iím seriously thinking about not giving this year. Iíve always thought it was dumb, and now that the P is on my s**t list, Iím thinking a hard pass.
checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

bandmom

Old 12-08-2019, 04:30 AM

I work in a Catholic school and we have students on scholarship. We collect money and donate it to the scholarship fund in the names of our principal and assistant principal.
bandmom is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Gifts
Old 12-08-2019, 06:09 AM

Bandmom, I think that is the most touching and thoughtful gift.

When I was working
Admin- would get gift card to their fave restaurant
Custodians- would get a money tree
(Each grade/hall would collect for just his/her person.)

Administration usually gave each staff/teacher an ornament.
LaFish is online now   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Other school
Old 12-08-2019, 06:40 AM

My 2nd principal loved Christmas. She hosted a Christmas dinner for the entire faculty/staff at her home. Everything was made from scratch- the meal and the gifts. Guests were only ask to bring their favorite bottle to share with others. We collected cash to buy her a gift card to favorite craft store and something for her home. Everyone (including those that attended the party or those that could not) received 3 crafted gifts. I remember a wreath, candle holder, and a little musical box.
As soon as I posted by other comments I thought about my other wonderful school!
LaFish is online now   Reply With Quote

Vet3Teacher

Old 12-09-2019, 02:15 PM

I'm not buying anything. The admin and I aren't that close. I'm sure other people will, but I'm not.

Admin is doing secret santa though...so who knows if we are each others...
Vet3Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote