Help

Books, Guided Reading & Literature

Novel idea, need help putting this together

>

NCLATeacher

Novel idea, need help putting this together
Old 03-17-2013, 07:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am starting a new novel and with the CCSS, I want my students to be able to connect their knowledge of figurative language\word choice, mood\tone and development of theme. I am thinking of having students keep a chart of some sort to track this information, but everthing I an coming up with seems, to me at least, too cumbersome for students to easily keep up with. I don't want this to be a "busywork" worksheet, but an actual resource students create and use. Does anyone one have any thoughts or suggestions on how I can put this together? Thank you!

NCLATeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mumstheword

Might be adaptable...
Old 03-22-2013, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

One of the teachers at my old school had her AP Lit class create a poetry notebook to use and keep for college. It was filled with figurative language and rhetoric techniques, along with other examples of literature (Shakespeare, Homer, etc.).

Something like that may be adaptable to what you're doing... or at least they could start one and when other terms come up that are related, they could add them as time passes. HTH
mumstheword is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

Maybe look into
Old 03-31-2013, 06:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thinking Maps. If you just google them, you'll find a lot of information. You can also search this site for information.
maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote

vanvic

When we read a anovel,
Old 03-31-2013, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am thinking of how to word questions like they will on the state tests we have to give. Such as:
Write a paragraph that explains the central idea of paragraph _ and show how the author uses details to support the central idea.

Explain the meaning of the word ___. Include context clues from the book that help you determine its definition.

What is the theme of the ____? Give an example of a sentence from the ____ that develops the ___ís theme.

How does the final sentence contribute to the plot of the story? Use details from the story to support your answer.

vanvic is offline   Reply With Quote

wiseyoungcrow

Just a thought
Old 04-29-2013, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Something that I've seen in the classroom is the use of a reading journal. Fifth grade students use these reading journals in the classroom where I help. This reading journal has various sections for the student to use throughout the year. One section is devoted to stories they read during literature circle, another is dedicated to vocabulary, and another is dedicated to figurative language. There are other sections as well, but this could be an easy way for students to flip to a section in their notebook and be able to see the definitions and examples of figurative language, mood, etc.

wiseyoungcrow is offline   Reply With Quote