Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Morning care

>

REEzy

Morning care
Old 03-21-2018, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi. New to the group... This is my first year working in morning care (that is in the process of getting licensed) with 3&4 year olds. I can have up to 20 children, and I am by myself from 8-830. Manipulatives and other toys are very limited. So Iíve been bringing in coloring and learn-to-draw type pages. Iím looking for suggestions to keep them seated and quiet with minimal cleanup. At 830, the 4yos go to their classroom and the Morning care room becomes the pk3 classroom. Thanks in advance.

REEzy is offline   Reply With Quote

RealisticPreK

Old 03-21-2018, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

So are you in the pk3 classroom for the rest of the day?

Are you sure you are allowed TWENTY kids at that age? My state only allows a maximum of 10 children in that age range.

I would read to them for 15 minutes, for sure. Try public library books like Eric Kimmel's Anansi and the Moss Covered Rock. Another is Anansi and the Talking Melon. Read Peter Rabbit, and Thumbelina, and look for books with great pictures.

I like fairytales like The Gingerbread Man, the Little Red Hen (by Galdone), The 3 Billy Goats Gruff (Galdone), Goldilocks and the 3 Bears, The 3 Little Pigs (I change the ending so that the 1st and 2nd pigs run away just in time). Also The 12 Dancing Princesses, books like that. Ask the librarian where all the fairy tales are shelved.

As you read, have the book turned toward the children, with you reading it sideways. Read with expression and use different voices.

You might like to go to websites like:
this reading mama.com

and print out her large colored letters (found on page 11 in each of the letter boxes at this site: https://thisreadingmama.com/free-abc-printable-packs/) You do have to click on each letter, scroll down and click again, and then go to page 11 to find each letter.) I laminated my letters and then put them in a 3 ring binder from Dollar Tree and left them on the floor for kids to view. I also play a $15 CD I got from Heidi Songs, her letters and sounds one. In the beginning I would flash each letter as the song played, to get them used to the letters.

But if you are not staying to teach in the pk3 room, you might not want to do all that. I would definitely read to them, though.

Good luck!
RealisticPreK is offline   Reply With Quote

REEzy

Very helpful response
Old 03-21-2018, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for your response. I will definitely do. The room I work in is used for morning care, 1/2 session of prek 3, and then aftercare.
REEzy is offline   Reply With Quote