Survey: How many interviews to get hired? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

New Teachers

Survey: How many interviews to get hired?

>

k6is4me

Survey: How many interviews to get hired?
Old 09-29-2008, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a certified K-6 teacher in Western North Carolina as of December 2007. I am a career changer, as well. In November '07, I began substituting while looking for a job. From January '08 to Sept, I have been to 13 interviews and I am still jobless. I started an informal survey at the school I sub at most often. The general consensus there is 0-3 interviews before they landed their first job. Another friend said the average was 18 interviews. I have another friend who has been graduated for 2 and a half years, now and still has no job. She is much younger than me (okay, maybe only by 8 years), and has had 2 short interim jobs (aka long-term sub assignment). So... How many interviews did it take to land your first teaching job, all you new teachers? Also, please let me know if you were already an assistant or in the school system some other way. I'm coming up on a year, and really getting discouraged, down-hearted, and depressed. I have friends at church that constantly ask if I got a job, yet. Many who are also retired teachers. I have another friend who is still in school, who is about 8 years older than me and just got a p/t asst. job in a school close to her house. I'm so jealous. But, she keeps me confident and buoyed up. I know I'm good and I know I'll get a job. I'm just tired of waiting for when. So, how many more interviews will it take? How many did it take you guys? I guess I've been kind of desperate to just get my foot in the door, because I've interviewed for middle schools, pre-k, interim, part-time, assistants, you name it. Should I quit that route and only apply for full-time permanent regular classroom openings? There are no more openings right now. Maybe a few will pop up in November/December........

k6is4me is offline   Reply With Quote

rainbow fish

It depends
Old 09-30-2008, 03:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

As much as anyone hates to hear it. It's all about connections. You almost have to know people. If you don't, sub around so people know who you are and how you are with children. Just like you would like to test drive a car first and not just online order one, the school wants to pick someone they know can do the job, not someone they think can do it. With that in mind you may have a long or short time depending on who you know with job openings.
rainbow fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Evergreen

Old 09-30-2008, 06:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Where I am, it's definitely who you know. You either get in because of subbing or because you know someone. The most frustrating is that the school district says you need to have a minimum of 3 years full time teaching experience (not subbing) to be considered....yet this year they hired someone who's only experience was student teaching because her uncle is on the school board. Then her best friend and college roommate (also just student teaching experience) was given a long term sub. It's infuriating how it's all about being family/friends of the right person determines who is hired, not who has the most experience.
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote

lizzyteacher

Don't give up!
Old 09-30-2008, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It's all about who you know where I am too and it makes me so mad!!

Nothing opened up for me the first year out of college, so I just went to Korea and taught English for a year. I couldn't believe the awesome people I taught with that came there for the same reason...they'd been out of college for a few years and still no job. And they were some of the greatest teachers I've met- I would kill for my kids to have them!!

Do you want/need to stay around that area? If not, apply all over and something's bound to pop up!
lizzyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

k6is4me

Can't relocate
Old 09-30-2008, 11:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm married (12 years) to a husband who works 3rd shift and commutes 45 minutes to work 3-4 nights a week. I'm also willing to commute 45 minutes to get to work. Two of my three children are in school. I would hate to move an hour and a half away just to get a job and then my husband would still be commuting his 45 minutes. He has been at his job for 18 years and they don't offer transfers. Also, we just bought our first house 3 years ago and really don't want to move, so I think relocating is not an option. It seems too extreme for my family's circumstances. However, a 5-week interim just popped up. It is an hour away. Should I go for it, anyway? What's 15 extra minutes, right? It COULD, maybe go longer than 5 weeks. I don't mind finishing out the school year there if I can transfer to my own county at the end of the school year. Even still, 5 weeks isn't too bad in my opinion. What do you guys think?

rainbow fish

If . . .
Old 09-30-2008, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

the pay is more than the cost of gas, go for it. It would be a little more experience. I don't know how much you already have but I don't think it could hurt.
rainbow fish is offline   Reply With Quote

k6is4me

Hunh?
Old 10-01-2008, 08:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm not sure what you mean by 'go for it?' Which part of my post are you referring to?

hovenweep

It is about connections, but there is hope
Old 10-06-2008, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am not a "connected' kind of person. I am shy, keep a small circle of friends, and prefer nights in. I am NOT the type to shmooze with administrators, send copious letters of interest, etc. I envy those who are comfortable with all that. I got a job on my 4th interview, with people who had never met me before. I did have excellent references and prepared very well for the interview. You just have to keep at it. I think a lot of it has to do with where you live, too.
hovenweep is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. Hos

Old 10-07-2008, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I totally understand your frustration. I moved right before student teaching, finished student teaching and subbed in one district, then moved across the country this summer! (DH is military) So I had no connections obviously and we arrived late August when many positions had been filled. I tried something different at every interview I went to. I got offered a job on my 5th interview and I start Monday.

Have you been taking a portfolio with you to interviews? I didn't to my first 4, because mine is electronic. For this last one I printed off a few ideas I had about questions I was sure they would ask (classroom management, guided reading groups etc.) I also put in a few pictures from student teaching, my letters of recommendation, and test scores. Yes it is all in their system, but they probably don't look at it before they interview me.

Don't lose hope!
Mrs. Hos is offline   Reply With Quote

bethygurl8

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Hi K6,

I grew up in western NC and I have to tell you that the biggest thing with your many interviews is location. People that live in Western NC don't ever leave... therefore, the teachers that have the jobs keep them and its really hard for a beginning teacher.

I am in central NC and I got my job on the second interview. Try for a bigger system even if you have to commute. I feel like 13 interviews is a lot... and I don't know WHERE your friend got "18" as being average.

For now, Sub as much as possible and try to get in good with your principals and assistant principals. Let them know you enjoy working at their school and that you would appreciate them keeping you in mind if they hear about any openings.

Good luck!

bethygurl8 is offline   Reply With Quote

New24th

Interviews
Old 11-16-2008, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I am sadden to see so may posts about connections. I have absolutely no connections where I am at and landed my job on the second interview I went on. I do know that I researched interviewing for teaching positions like crazy on the internet before I started interviewing and sent my resume to every school in my county. Just be persistent and something will come up!
New24th is offline   Reply With Quote

CopierBroke?!

Old 11-19-2008, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

10... and I got a job at the district where my relative works.
CopierBroke?! is offline   Reply With Quote

Thing 1

No connections here
Old 11-19-2008, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I changed careers and was hired before the end of my student teaching (I am a SPED teacher and this was my 2nd ST as I had ST in Gen Ed before) for my first job. I worked in that district for 6 months and was laid off (yes SPED teachers do get laid off). I bounced back up and was hired after 1 interview for my next job which I am working on my 3rd year.
Thing 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

sbc723

Old 12-03-2008, 09:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I had 5 interviews after student teaching and got nothing. Then I subbed for a year and taught summer school on either side of it. Then last spring I spread my net wider and applied to a district that was 45 minutes from where I lived. Low and behold I interviewed and got a job without knowing anyone in the school or the town even. My references were amazing (I love the people who have helped me ) and I went into the interview determined to show them who I was and how I could make my class a great place to be. When I talked to people on the interview panel afterwards they said it was my enthusiasm that got it for me. Good luck, I know how hard it is to wait.
sbc723 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gibby

Interviews
Old 03-02-2009, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I'm one of those lucky people that got hired at her first interview. I did not have any connections, although my principal was from the district I did my student teaching in, though I didn't know that. I only just started applying in August. Sometimes you are more likely to get jobs then, because many districts are trying to fill holes in their staff. You have to be willing to take whatever comes. I started out teaching 5th grade (NOT my first choice) with 33 kids in the classroom, low-income and about 90% ESL/ELL kids. But, I now that I've done this I know I can teach anyone! You don't have to have connections, but it will help if you do. Go out of your way to help teachers. Get your name out there. Best of luck!
Gibby is offline   Reply With Quote
dpat

dpat

Connections and no interview
Old 11-02-2010, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I feel your pain! I am a k-6 certified teacher and taught one year as a classroom teacher then started a family. I have been a stay at home mom for the past 8 years. I kept my license current and took online classes. I have been a very active parent volunteer at many different levels at my kids school. I am currently subbing there and just applied for three long term sub positions that they have open. It has been over two weeks and I have not even gotten a call for an interview. I emailed the secretary and the interview process has already started. I have great references and many connections at the school. What is the problem? I am so discouraged!
heg2j

heg2j

same for me
Old 07-07-2012, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I am in the same boat as you. I graduated in December 2010; I was a substitute teacher for 2 years in many schools (even getting a month long substitute position.) When I didn't get a teaching job last year, I started working as an Educational Assistant hoping it would get me experience and connections. Here it is the second school year after my graduation and I STILL don't have a job. I have had 18 interviews since last June. I don't know what to do. I do my research, I'm very professional, I have good references and I feel like the interviews go great...except I'm NEVER offered a job. I'm very enthusiastic and try to utilize connections but it's not working. There is someone always better than me and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. I've always wanted to be a teacher but why is it so easy for some and impossible for others?