Help

New Teachers

Freaking out!

>

Teacherdeena

Freaking out!
Old 08-03-2010, 09:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my first year teaching and I am starting to freak out! I am getting very little sleep at night because I am worried that my class will be out of control, they won't learn anything from me, and their parents will hate me! I know it's just nerves but please tell me that someone else has felt this way before starting their first year of teaching.

D

Teacherdeena is offline   Reply With Quote

mrs.bear

Old 08-03-2010, 09:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You just described EXACTLY how I felt before I started my first year. I was hired 4 days before the school year, so I didn't have a lot of time to prepare, but also not a lot of time to worry about all that. You will do great! Just remember that you were hired for a reason!
mrs.bear is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherdeena

Thank you!
Old 08-03-2010, 09:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm glad to know that this has happened to someone else and that they are still teaching I have had most of the summer to prepare but have only gotten to work on my classroom this week as the cleaning schedule was way off! The previous teacher left a huge mess and lots of stuff for me to sort through. I think that this has really added to my anxiety. Thanks for your kind words.

sweetmilker

Fear of the Unknown...
Old 08-04-2010, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

They always say you fear the unknown, so become familiar with as much as possible before you start. Become familiar with your students (if possible at an open house or send letters out), understand exactly how you want to discipline, learn your schedule inside and out, map our your curriculum, etc. When I first started teaching, it really helped me to be extremely organized because I felt like I had more control. And remember, if you're worried about your kids being out of control, start off the school year STRICT! You can always loosen up as the year progresses, but it's very hard to toughen up. You'll do GREAT!!!
sweetmilker is offline   Reply With Quote

Froggiefun

Freaking out too!
Old 08-04-2010, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

So glad you posted and there were some replies! I am also a new teacher this year - just hired last week. I won't be able to get in to the classroom until the 10th, so I have all this time to be nervous about the unknown, as someone mentioned. It is so nice to know that I am not alone! What I want to know is: what is the most important thing to work on first so that I am managing my time the best in preparing? Do I figure out all my routines first so that classroom management is the focus? Or do I start putting together a monthly plan for acadmics? Yearly plan? I really don't know where to start... help!

Froggiefun is offline   Reply With Quote

lcolema

Also freaking!
Old 08-04-2010, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This is my first year as well and I don't sleep very much either! haha I think everyone fills that way! I'm going to be at an inner city school so I'm also worried about how my kids will act. The best advice I've been given is to develop your routines and rules about how you want kids to act in your classroom and make sure you discuss them on the first day. I've went so far as to write a "script" of stuff to talk about! I'm sure we'll be fine but can't help to be nervous!! Good luck!
lcolema is offline   Reply With Quote

missmas

i always feel like that
Old 08-05-2010, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

but it goes away. You know that if those things were true you wouldnt have a job.
Chances are that you will have a great year .
Relax and go for it!
missmas is offline   Reply With Quote

ImNewAtThis:)

Same boat!!
Old 08-05-2010, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This is my first year teaching as well... School starts in less then 20 days and I still dont know what grade I am teaching.. They are trying to hire another teacher and that would decided the grade I get.... I dont have a classroom yet.. I rent a very small apartment from another teacher and I have a corner of stuff just piling up because I dont any have place to put it.. PLUS The school secritary and the principal (They were married) Got a job at another school so now I am the summer school secritary until school starts... I dont know who the new principal is going to be... I dont know if anyone knows.... I could have a class as large as 18 or as small at 6 (I work in a Christian School) Ohh but dont worry everyone says.... yeah right.. So I am freaking out with you all... haha well all you can do it smile right it happens..... ok vent over....
ImNewAtThis:) is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherdeena

Thanks again!
Old 08-05-2010, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks for the support and kind words. You are all awesome! Good luck to my fellow new teachers!

doodle730

Take a deep breath...
Old 08-05-2010, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

You'll get through this! I'll be starting my fourth year of teaching this year, but I very clearly remember the jitters I had right before kicking off my first year. Sitting in my room waiting for the kids to arrive, I really thought I might throw up!

Here's some advice:
  • Try to keep yourself as relaxed as possible! I know that's easy to say, but keeping yourself in control will help your students stay in control.
  • Plan how you want your classroom to run. Start teaching the students your procedures and rules from day 1, and don't let up! I usually practice procedures for several weeks (of course, when my regular schedule allows it). Even if the students are tired of practicing, keep it up! I've read that it takes 21 days for a behavior to become a habit.
  • I, too, was very nervous about interacting with parents. I would have preferred to keep to myself all year, but forced myself to interact with them. Get a list of phone numbers and call each parent to introduce yourself, if you can't meet them in person. Make a point to send home "good" notes, or make "good" phone calls. That way, parents won't immediately get defensive if you have to report bad behavior to them.
  • FAKE IT 'TIL YOU MAKE IT! I felt like such an actress my first year (heck, I still feel like that sometimes!). If you're not feeling confident, fake it!
  • Read The First Days of School by Harry Wong. It's a phenomenal book. I read it every year before school starts, and I love it more every time. It's got very practical strategies and guidelines.
  • Keep looking around on PT. This place has been a saving grace for me. Best of luck to you!

doodle730 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcmor7

Newbie, too
Old 08-05-2010, 10:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Ditto. At times, I feel like I'm going to hyperventilate....where is that brown paper bag when I need it?
mcmor7 is offline   Reply With Quote

msscorpio82

I Totally Understand
Old 08-06-2010, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I was just hired today and school starts Monday. I have to go decor my room with no ideas and prepare for back to school night which is Sunday. I have had this headache for the last 36hours, I believe. Please share any ideas to help me prepare for this 5th grade class. I have already gotten word that they "will try me"
msscorpio82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Brina26

Congratulations
Old 08-06-2010, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

to all the new teachers!!!! You all will do fine, stay postive and focused. I agree that the book "The First Days of School" by Harry Wong is a great start. He's book is great.
Brina26 is offline   Reply With Quote

lv26

Right there with ya!
Old 08-09-2010, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I think after a wonderful summer relaxing, its actually kicking in that I WILL BE IN CHARGE OF A CLASSROOM!!! Now i feel like there is so much to do and not a lot of time.... but really where do I start?!?! School starts on Sept 7th and cant go in the school until Aug 23rd for new teacher orientation..... *How do i know what supplies need without seeing my classroom? *How do I prepare lessons without knowing the curriculum? *How can I contact parents and students without a class list?

Its all just overwhelming, I know I will be fine and it'll all sort itself out, but as mentioned before... the fear of the unknown is killing me!!

Best of luck to you all!!
lv26 is offline   Reply With Quote

becky2624

It Was Bad
Old 08-09-2010, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My first year teaching I was SO nervous that I couldn't eat in the morning. I forced myself to drink a slim fast for the nutrients. I knew I would need the energy! Thankfully, that only lasted a few weeks. However, I still get nervous and it's my 5th year!
becky2624 is offline   Reply With Quote

Girly10

Old 08-10-2010, 05:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

It is my first year too. I was hired in June and was told that I cannot work in my room until August 16th (school starts on the 1st) by the principal. I have went into my classroom three times (I had the custodians unlock the door) to take measurements for things and see what the previous teacher left behind for me. I have been extremely overwhelmed and nervous about this upcoming year. Yes I know many things, but there are so many things unknown right now too. The fear of the unknown is definitely causing insomnia. I have been trying to plan the layout of my classroom, bulletin boards, working on first week plans, and documents for parents (handbook, star of the week, etc.) in hopes that it would help ease the stress later. I do not think I will feel better until my classroom is set up and I can plan our daily schedule. I do not feel I can plan curriculum until I know how much time I have to teach for each subject. My suggestion to all of you in the same position is to find a few other teachers in the school that you can go to and ask questions. I have been talking to and e-mailing a few teachers in my school to which I was given contact information, it has been a huge help so far.

I wish everyone the best of the luck and a fun school year!
Girly10 is offline   Reply With Quote

jteach

I'm nervous, too!
Old 08-10-2010, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I've been a teacher for many years, but had to take last year off (pesky breast cancer surgeries, chemo, radiation, etc) Believe me when I say, I may be 51, confident in my abilities, and so happy to go back, but I know I'll be scrutinized.(She doesn't look the same, Do you think she's well enough, Does she still have that energy , BLAH,BLAH,BLAH!)

Ladies, We've all been there, whether it's your first job, a new grade level, a different, district, a medical leave. We all come through it, too! Remember why you're here, on this website...You want to succeed!! Let your love of the craft and the kids always shine through and you will be great at this most wonderful profession!

That's why I tell you that I have the jitters, too. So you know that it's completely normal. Good luck to everyone!!! Janice
jteach is offline   Reply With Quote

teach2010-11

Old 08-12-2010, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

This is my first year teaching and I am also freaking out a bit. I am just worried about everything. I am already worried about test scores at the end of the year and school hasn't even started. I am worried I don't know the content fully of what I am teaching. I am just nervous...but then I get really EXCITED!!! Then I get nervous again! Over all I do hope these feelings go away soon!
teach2010-11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Latrice725

Old 08-14-2010, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

you will be fine!
Latrice725 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr.L

Yearly
Old 08-28-2010, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I get nervous at the start of every year...I am starting year 10 and still get nervous before school starts. This year, even more so; I have been moved to 4th grade and have not taught that since my first year. I looked back at my old 4th grade plans and boy, I have changed as a teacher so now I have to start all over. I have been working with older kids the past 9 years so I am a little apprehensive in my ability to reach the youngers...I am sure it will all work out in the long run.
Mr.L is offline   Reply With Quote

kujo

I have been teaching 34 years and....
Old 08-28-2010, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I still get very nervous and can't sleep the week before school starts. It helps me some to work in my classroom and take ownership of my space etc. at least my dreams straighten up some once I feel comfy in my room. Start out with your expectations and be strict for the first month or so. I envy the first year teachers and love to see them start in the school. They have sooo many new ideas and lots of energy and it takes me back when I first started teaching. Honestly, I can say that I love teaching as much now as I did then and treasure everyday in the classroom with the children. For the challenging students, that you are worrying about, just remember, they need you most of all and that is why you are a teacher. And if things get tough, tomorrow will bring another day , just go a day at a time and you will be fine. Have a wonderful year to all of you new teachers. Teachers are a gift from God, don't ever forget that, no matter what type of day you have. Your friends at Proteacher will always be available to help you out.
kujo is offline   Reply With Quote

audriana

I feel like that every single year!
Old 08-28-2010, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Take a deep breath and know you are ready. Enjoy!
audriana is offline   Reply With Quote

Keeks22

You'll be ok!
Old 08-30-2010, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

This is my third year and it gets a little bit easier each time. Just keep your chin up- keep confident. Remember to keep a sense of humor and laugh about things when the day is over. You won't be able to control everything but you can control the way you react, so just keep yourself together and you'll be fine. It's a lot of fun and a fast ride, enjoy it! You can do it!
Keeks22 is offline   Reply With Quote

LitPhreak

Sunday Nights
Old 08-31-2010, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Hey there! This is my second year teaching, but I still feel the same way. I found that Sunday nights were the worst for me. I just could not (and cannot still) sleep soundly on Sunday nights. I finally gave up freaking out abuot not being able to sleep and just started to expect it. My mind runs wild with what will happen in that upcoming week.

A favored college professor told me that if you get through your first year without going to the hospital or jail, it was a successful year. Obviously that was tongue-and-cheek, but the sentiment is there. Just keep going, just keep going! It will get easier!
LitPhreak is offline   Reply With Quote

carlota

Believe in yourself
Old 09-10-2010, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Every new school year I have felt somewhat like you. But learning to trust yourself will get u through. If you prepare yourself everyday u will b in control of yourself. At times groups can seem to b out of control...this is normal remember that kids are meant to b...kids. I know that in spite of some lack of sleep nights u will do a great job with the kids this year and the many to come.
carlota is offline   Reply With Quote