Help

New Teachers

What are your rules and consequences?

>

LMNTRY2

What are your rules and consequences?
Old 07-14-2007, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know some of you are waiting to let the students "help" decide on rules, but as a first year, I'm not doing it that way, lol.

Those of you who already have your rules in place, please share. I read that you limit them to 5. I have a list of 5 already, but wanted to see what's important to some of you.

Also,
Please share how you handle your warnings and the consequences that accompany them.

I'm just eager to see how alike/different some of our ideas are.

Thanks! =)

LMNTRY2 is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndGradeRocks

I have 4 rules
Old 07-15-2007, 04:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I only have four and they make up the acronym BUGS to fit with my frog themed classroom:

Be on time - this covers everything from getting to school and in class on time to not dawdling in the hallway when you are supposed to be somewhere - like a pullout. It also covers being ready/prepared so time is not wasted while looking for a pencil or returning to the classroom because they forgot their science folder.

Use nice language - this includes Please, Thank you, Yes Ma'am/Sir, I'm sorry, etc. No name calling either.

Give everyone and everything respect - this includes keeping your hands, feet, and other body parts to yourself, using equipment properly. It also includes raising your hand, waiting your turn, not talking when someone else is talking, not laughing at someone when they make a mistake, etc.

Stay on task - this includes doing what you are supposed to be doing when you are supposed to be doing it, getting your work done, not disturbing others, etc.

Like you I am not having the kids "help" come up with the rules but they will be involved in determining what the rules mean and how they look in places other than the classroom - bus, lunchroom, specials, playground, hallways, etc.

I have not decided on consequences yet. I'm leaning toward a point system where they can earn points toward a non-material reward of their choosing - having lunch with a friend in another class, reading a book to a kindergarten or first grade class, extra computer time, extra library time, things like that. I'm still working on how to handle repeat offenders. I think they will need something more than just not earning a point.

I will be interested to read the other replies you get!
2ndGradeRocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Mzip

This is what I'm thinking.....
Old 07-15-2007, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is from my letter I am sending to the parents. I just cut and pasted it to here so the formatting is off. In my room, I will only have the rule posted but I thought I should have the explanation in the letter so parents know exactly what is expected of their child. I tried to keep my consequences so I wouldn't have to take away recess. I feel this is their only time to get rid of extra energy and doesn't really help you in the classroom. I found last year in a long term sub job that taking recess didn't really help with the kids I had the most problems with. They didn't care about recess and I usually had more problems after recess if they didn't get it. I don't think it was just b/c I was the sub either because I was in the classroom as the Student teacher before their teacher went out on maternity leave.

expectations
1. Respect Everyone:
What does this mean?
This means I will say “please” and “thank you”
I will answer questions “Yes, ma’am/sir” or No, ma’am/sir”. If I have a question, I will raise my hand and wait patiently to be called on. I will be kind to everyone in our class and remember that they have feelings. I will follow directions the first time they are given.

2. Respect Property
What does this mean?
I will treat all property with respect. If I see something on the floor, I will pick it up and put it away. If I get something out, I will make sure it gets put away. I will not take anything that does not belong to me without getting permission from the owner first.

3. Respect Myself
What does this mean?
I will always try my hardest. I will believe that I can do anything I try to do.

Mrs. Z's Consequences

1. Verbal Warning
What does this mean?
If I am not meeting an expectation, Mrs. Z will give me a verbal warning to think about my behavior.
2. Conference with Mrs. Z
What does this mean?
If I choose to continue my behavior, I will have a conference with Mrs. Z to discuss the behavior, as well as a way to improve the behavior and a consequence if the behavior continues.
3. Reflection Log Entry:
What does this mean?
If I choose continue my behavior, Mrs. Z will ask me to complete a reflection log entry (see attached copy) and I will receive the pre-determined consequence. The reflection log must me signed by my parents and returned to Mrs. Z on the next day of school.

4. Phone Call or Conference with Parents
What does this mean?
If I choose to continue my behavior, Mrs. Z will make a phone call home to discuss behavior with parents.

**Students with violent or destructive behavior will be sent directly to the principal’s office**
Mzip is offline   Reply With Quote

LMNTRY2

Old 07-15-2007, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

2ndGradeRocks: I love how your incorporated your theme BUGS! I wish I could come up with something to fit STARS.

I was typing up my parent letter and that's when I decided to get some idea in here about what rules/consequences seem fair and the most effective.

Mzip: One of my consequences was actually the removal of recess time. I agree with you that they really need to get that energy out or you may just have further problems in the day. I like the idea of the reflection log. I'm thinking about modifying my letter, but mine is more cut and dry, with the explanations you provide. I'd like to come up with something else besides the recess punishment.

I've been worried about my parent letter as well. I want to make sure I get more opinions about it, so I'm going to start another thread and post it there. Please check it out if you have time.

2ndGradeRocks

LMNTRY2 how about this?
Old 07-15-2007, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

S - Stay on task - Do what you are supposed to do when you are
supposed to do it.
T - Talk Politely - Please, thank you, yes ma'am/sir, no ma'am/sir,
I'm sorry, no name-calling,etc.
A - Always do your best -
R - Respect everyone and everything - Be nice, raise your hand, put
things away, don't mess with others' things, use
equipment/materials properly, etc.
S - Silence is golden - Use appropriate voice levels, don't talk when
someone else is talking, etc.

LMNTRY2

Omg!!!!!
Old 07-15-2007, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Love it, love it, love it!!!

I think every rule you added pretty much fit the five I had picked out! I am going to use this FOR SURE! It will go perfectly! I appreciate you coming up with that for me! Did mention...I LOVE IT!!! =)

For "A" I think I'm going to use:
Always keep hands, feet, and objects to self.

This is one that I wanted to be sure to include. Does that sound ok?

Last edited by LMNTRY2; 07-15-2007 at 01:14 PM..

kinderteachnc

Losing Recess Consequence
Old 07-15-2007, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Here in NC we cannot take away recess since there is a law that says the students have to have 150 min. a week of activity. We get around that by making the student or students walk around the playground or back and forth depending on your playground situation. They are still getting exercise and buring some energy but they are also watching everyone else play and they are walking laps. Depending on the rule broken and the amount of times it was broke, we will do 5 min. or 5 laps etc. You can gear it to whatever you deem appropriate to your school and class. To get out of the lap line they have to tell someone what they did wrong and about trying to fix it for the next time.
kinderteachnc is offline   Reply With Quote

LMNTRY2

Old 07-15-2007, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I really like that idea!

2ndGradeRocks

Stars and Recess
Old 07-16-2007, 02:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

LMNTRY2 - that sounds better for A than what I had suggested. I included that in my BUGS ("Give everyone/everything respect")because of the letters I had to work with!

kinderteachnc - I'm in NC, too.

Every school I've been at - ST, observations, etc - has used laps as punishment. LMNTRY2 - one thing to think about - if you have more than one child doing laps, don't let them walk together. If they are buddies they will spend the time chatting and gossiping, eliminating the feel of it being a punishment!

Mzip

laps....
Old 07-16-2007, 05:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I think you'll just have to get to know your kids. One of mine used to love to walk laps if he lost recess. To him, he had poor social skills, that was better than recess!

kindergirl

These are great ideas!!
Old 07-16-2007, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I love the BUGS & STARS- I am going to use the "STAR" idea... This is what I love about this board- it doesn't matter how long you have taught, there are always new ideas out there!

I am a NC teacher too
kindergirl is offline   Reply With Quote

flor2398

trying something new
Old 07-16-2007, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

For the last two years I have had the same 4 rules:
Respect other people and their belongings
Always do your best
Be an active listener (we discuss what it means to listen actively)
Follow directions the first time

I have found that any problems can usually be covered by these 4 rules. However, I just finished taking a Love and Logic class last semester, and I plan on implementing the following:

"Do not cause a problem for yourself or anyone else"

the consequences?
"if you are causing a problem, I will ask you to fix it. If you cannot or will not fix the problem, I will do something."

Both the rule and the consequence are open ended--I love it! The students have to be responsible and aware of how their actions affect themselves and others. It gives them a chance to fix their own behaviors and the open-endedness of "I will do something" lets me tailor the consequences to the situation. I can choose an appropriate consequence for the problem (ex. changing the student's seat, having them apologize to someone, staying in/doing laps at recess, calling home, conferencing with the principal, etc.) I am really excited to give this a try.
flor2398 is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndGradeRocks

Flor...
Old 07-16-2007, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

That sounds like a great concept. I like the open-endedness of it as well. Please keep us posted on how it's going.

I Luv SpEd

T.E.A.M. Theme
Old 07-16-2007, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My class theme is team (together everyone achieves more). 6th grade special ed (resource math). I would love to use the letters t.e.a.m. for my rules. Any suggestions.
Thanks
I Luv SpEd is offline   Reply With Quote

illinoisteach

Love this board
Old 07-17-2007, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Can I just repeat that I LOVE THIS BOARD! I am also doing a "Hollywood" Theme and the STARS rules are awesome! Just reading the various posts has jumpstarted my planning so much! Now I'm trying to think of something for TEAM. Hmmm..... How about:

T- Treat yourself and others with respect at all times
E- Engage in learning (being an active listener, stay on task, etc.)
A- Always do your best and never settle for less
M- Manage your materials- always come prepared

I assumed that your students come to your room just for Math?? That is why I included the "always come prepared". Also, if these don't work, maybe you could post the rules that are important to you and the amazingly creative minds on this board could fit them into the T.E.A.M acronym.
illinoisteach is offline   Reply With Quote

lwruble

New Teacher
Old 07-17-2007, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

To "2nd GradeRocks",
You have some great ideas. I am a first year 3rd grade teacher and trying to decide what disipline plan to use to begin my year. Any suggestions? Also, I have heard that it is much easier not to use many extrinsic awards but during my student teaching, rewards of any kind rarely worked. I had a hard time student teaching regarding disipline and I was wondering how to go about handling this. I do not want to try and do too much my first year. By that, I mean that I want to keep things simple. I thought I would send you a message to see if you had any ideas. Thanks!

Last edited by lwruble; 07-17-2007 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: forgot to add something
lwruble is offline   Reply With Quote

Cheresa

Old 07-17-2007, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I need to try to put mine into my theme. Camp

C
A
M
P

Any ideas?
Cheresa is offline   Reply With Quote

BirdSong

Mrs. Z...
Old 07-17-2007, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

You mentioned an attached copy of the reflection log. I don't see an attachment.
BirdSong is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndGradeRocks

To lwruble
Old 07-17-2007, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I am studying for a Spanish exam that I have tomorrow. I will post on Wednesday afternoon when I have a bit more time!

BTW - I'm from NC, too!! The piedmont area. Where are you - mountains, piedmont or beach?

lwruble

Old 07-17-2007, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

2nd graderocks- I am from the piedmont area as well. Where in the piedmont area are you from? Thanks for the response. Talk to you soon!
lwruble is offline   Reply With Quote

I Luv SpEd

Thanks a million! This board is awesome!
Old 07-17-2007, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I love the T.E.A.M. rules (very positive). I will type it up tonight and take it to Kinko's (to make a poster).
Thanks, Thanks

Mzip

Birdsong...
Old 07-17-2007, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Sorry, I just cut and pasted that from my letter to my parents. I don't have my reflection log done just yet, I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I want to put on there. I'll post it as soon as I figure it out.

Thanks for noticing because now I have an incentive to get it done!
lovingrd3

lovingrd3

Old 07-17-2007, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I would strongly suggest you involve the kids in creating your classroom rules. Before I started my first year (last school year) I too, thought, "There's no way I'm letting them call the shots and make up the rules!" I thought the kids would take advantage, make up silly rules, etc. And I also thought that because I am "in charge" I should remain that way and design my classroom in such a way. Even though I'm sure you have your reasons for designing your rules the way you'd like, just hear me out and see what you think.

After talking with my teammates, I was strongly encouraged to try making the rules with the kids. To tell you the truth, it was one of the best things I did the first days of school! It helped solidify my belief that the classroom is a community of learners. In fact, I try to involve my kids in as many decisions as possible. It shows that I respect them as a person and that I value what input they have to say.

So one of the first days of school I sat down with the kids and we talked about rules in real life scenarios. Why we need rules, what it would be like if everyone in the world were running around doing whatever they felt...we brainstormed many ideas. Then I brought it closer to home and asked the kids what kinds and why they had rules at home. This continued to our discussion about the need for classroom rules. I made my expectations very clear: we were to have a classroom where we would get along, work together and respect one another. This sets the stage for exactly what you want! I asked the kids to think of ways we could achieve this kind of classroom environment in terms of rules that did not use the word "no" or "do not". We discussed and built off one another's ideas to quickly come up with a very short list of rules. We chose the ones that were most important and the kids felt that 4 rules were enough. Pleasantly surprised, the kids came up with if not the same, then better worded rules than I would have come up with. With some guidance, they did exactly what I would have done in the first place, but now they have ownership in the rules. The rules meant something to them because they had taken the time to establish them.

Hopefully that helps explain what worked for me! I am ready to do it all over again this upcoming school year, too.

cvbear

lovingrd3
Old 07-17-2007, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I liked your explanation. I think this is what I am going to try. Thanks.
cvbear is offline   Reply With Quote

christina4062

Mine are posted on my site.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

http://www.teacherweb.com/mi/central.../mrsbainbridge

The first week we'll decide HOW to follow the rules and make charts that go along with them to post by the rules- but my rules are:

Safety
Take responsibility
Attitude
Respect

STAR.

I have them posted on my site, as well as consequences, rewards, and a procedure handbook!

Christina
christina4062 is offline   Reply With Quote

I Luv SpEd

Beautiful Web-site!
Old 07-17-2007, 11:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I love your theme :0)
Way 2 Go Christina4062

Last edited by I Luv SpEd; 07-17-2007 at 11:32 PM.. Reason: Left off Way 2 Go!

Mzip

Behavior Reflection Log
Old 07-22-2007, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Here is the log I referred to in a previous post. I didn't come up with the wording on my own, another P/T poster sent me a copy and I modified it slightly.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Behavior Reflection Log.doc (29.0 KB, 64 views)