Help

New Teachers

Colors question

>

LMNTRY2

Colors question
Old 08-04-2007, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm working on my discipline board right now.

I'm using library pockets with student names and making different colored tickets our of construction paper to go inside. Students will move tickets for rule breaking, etc.

Here's my question:
For those of you that use colors in your discipline system, which colors work best? Start out on yellow, move to red for first warning, blue for 2nd and brown for final?...you get the idea.

This probably sounds so trivial, but I'm typing it up in my parent letter and I can't decide how I want to do my colors, lol.

Thanks...as always!

LMNTRY2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Belly

Old 08-04-2007, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My colors go from green to yellow to red to blue because that is the order of colors on the pocket chart I bought. Actually the kids names start in a baggie and we call that orange. The colors make no sense, but after a week of school they know them.
Belly is offline   Reply With Quote

kindergirl

keep on shining...
Old 08-04-2007, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

this is the heading for my discipline system. I use library pockets too- starting with a stick with gold glitter, then a green card, a yellow card, and finally a red card. Everyone starts the day shining bright- after a warning, the stick is pulled (but child knows that green is great too) then green will be pulled and the yellow means a caution (like the yellow on a stop light), when the red card is left there are no more chances. For students who have either a stick or green card all week will get a special treat on Fun Friday. Usually by Thanksgiving, I don't have to use this system b/c they know that I mean business with behavior. My reminder to parents- children are just like us, they have bad/off days and not every day will be a "shining day". Good luck
kindergirl is offline   Reply With Quote

ckwong

library pockets
Old 08-04-2007, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Stupid question, where do you get the library pockets?
ckwong is offline   Reply With Quote

illinoisteach

where to get library pockets
Old 08-04-2007, 09:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You can get some really cute library pockets at Oriental Trading- or the plain library pockets (50 for $4.64) at http://edushop.edu4kids.com/catalog/...oducts_id=2694
Another link I found with a variety of library pocket is:
http://www.zteacher.com/search.asp?d...ary%20Supplies
There are so many uses for these! I love them.

illinoisteach is offline   Reply With Quote

denisealice

colors
Old 08-05-2007, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My cards - we start with green (keep going - everything's great)
yellow (time to think!) orange (1 checkmark) blue (time out 2 checkmarks) red (dead meat - I mean serious consequence).
I use a pocket folder premade and available at most teacher stores - about a $15.00 investment and I've used mine for 15 years now - and I use premade cards in my colors and precut to fit the pocket folder. I usually get 2 years out of a package of cards.
denisealice is offline   Reply With Quote

LMNTRY2

Old 08-05-2007, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

For my cards, I was just going to laminate different colored construction paper, cut to fit the pocket and use that. Do you think that will work?

Also, it seems like I saw someone make their own library pockets somehow... ??

denisealice

cards
Old 08-05-2007, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It will work fine to laminate the construction paper....I'd make extras of each color to keep handy should a card get lost (as they sometimes do).
When I started teaching (when dinosaurs roamed) I made everything by hand but honestly I have found that while I still make many things I pick and choose where my time is best used. You can make library pockets but I think you will find it a lot of work - I would purchase them if it were me.

Take care!

Zee

colors
Old 08-05-2007, 08:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I made pockets my first year, but they didn't last and it was not worth my time. The pockets I use are actual library pockets that I got from our librarian. I cut them to fit the area I was putting them in and they held up great.

Our colors go green (Great day!), yellow (warning), red (5 minute think walk), blue (15 minute think walk--all of recess), orange (think sheet and note/call home), purple (think sheet, note/call home, principal). Sometimes kids go to the principal before they get through all the colors depending on the situation.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote

Kim27

Card System
Old 08-05-2007, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I LOVE the card system. I do green, blue, yellow, red. I got my chart from my local teacher store. Here is the link to what it looks like http://www.instaoffice.com/Pacon-Col...C20360.0.7.htm
I write the numbers 1-35 on the clear plastic pocket. Each number represents a student in my class. I have never had more than 27 in a class. The chart comes with cards too. The students do not write on the cards so then I can reuse them from year to year. Each student has a monthly calendar in his/her Take Home Folder. At the end of the day, I have the students take out a crayon and color the box whatever color he/she had that day. If students were on green then they could get ready to go. If they were not on green then they had to show me their calendar, turn their card back to green, and then get ready to go. This has worked very well in my classroom.

Kim27 is offline   Reply With Quote

LMNTRY2

Kim27
Old 08-05-2007, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I really like your system.

Couple of questions...

If you wrote their names with a dry/wet erase marker on the clear pocket, would you be able to wipe it off?

Do the students take their calendar home everyday so their parents can look at it? Do you have them sign or initial anything?

Oh, and that "How is your day?" sign...does that come with it?

It's great that this comes with the cards, too! How many different colors are there? I need to go back and look at that link. Maybe I'll be able to tell. I'd very interested in using this. I wonder how long it will take to ship!! School starts THIS WED.!!!

LMNTRY2

behavioral pocket chart
Old 08-05-2007, 09:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

http://www.monstermarketplace.com/Bu...282a29143.html

it's cheaper at this link!

denisealice

pocket chart
Old 08-05-2007, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

It seems that Kim and I use the same chart. I just use white avery type labels for the names and at the end of the year I just pull them off and use a little "goo-gone" to get any excess sticky stuff off.

Another source for the chart is Lakeshore Learning - and they've had all their stuff on sale (20% I believe). They have a great website.

Kim27

Card System
Old 08-05-2007, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I think you could use a Sharpie permanent marker on it too and it should come off with hairspray or Expo cleaner. I would test one area first to make sure it would work. You could also write their name on paper, put it inside the pocket and then put the cards behind their names. I staple their calendar into their Take Home Folders. The parents do not initial it each day. I just use it as a visual so that they know how their child did in school that day. Yes, the sign comes with it along with four colors green, yellow, blue, and pink (I use it as red). I bought mine at a teachers store. You could check in your town and see if you could find someone that carries it.
Kim27 is offline   Reply With Quote

lainaks

Card system
Old 08-11-2007, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I am using a card system with my class also. I bought a poster board and glued the library pockets to it. Then I laminated different colors of paper to use for the cards. In my system everyone is starting on green, if they misbehave they will turn their card to orange which is a warning. Misbehave again and they will go to red which is lunch detention and sit down and think sheet. Misbehave again and they will go to blue and the parents will be notified.

I also added a Golden star yellow card. This is for students that are going above and beyond expectations, they can move their card up from green to yellow. I have also bought a chart where the golden stars will be recorded, and after 5 stars, the student gets a prize from the treasure box.

I wanted to find a way to reward students for their good behavior instead of just focusing on the negative!
lainaks is offline   Reply With Quote

world citizen

Stop Light
Old 08-11-2007, 08:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Instead of using the cards, I decided to use a traffic light. It doesn't give the students as many color options are most of you have described but I tend to give students a few verbal warnings depending on what they are doing before making them change colors. I am going to laminate a traffic light I found at a teacher store then put clothes pins with the children's names on them on the light. They will start on green at the beginning of the day and record their color at the end of the day on their weekly homework/schedule sheet so that their parents will see how they are doing. Similar to the pockets but with clothes pins instead, we'll see how it works
world citizen is offline   Reply With Quote

mkruck

Old 08-20-2007, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I use the color system but I go from green-yellow-red-black but I take it one step farther and use clothes pins. and instead of changing colors right away they put up a pin to hold their colors together and "remind them of their behavior" then if they did something again they would take the pin off and flip to the next and once they get to red they sit in a chair that sucks out their bad behavior. (as they have to sit for set amount of time to think about what got them there) When I am telling the students about it I take paper towel to touch the chair b/c it has all the germs on it and its not a good thing. I feel this just gives the kids more chances-for those who need the extra reminders and it makes it more positive also b/c kids aren't constantly on red after two reminders!
mkruck is offline   Reply With Quote