New Teacher Check-In! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

New Teachers

New Teacher Check-In!

>

So far, my first year teaching has been...

very difficult 10 32.26%
difficult 8 25.81%
going smoothly 9 29.03%
going very smoothly 1 3.23%
I haven't started yet 3 9.68%
Sign In to participate in this poll. Not a ProTeacher member? Sign up FREE

Staff

Editor

Staff
New Teacher Check-In!
Old 08-29-2014, 10:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We had close to 80 new teachers post on our recent roll call thread. So let's check in! Remind us what grade, subject, and/or specialty you're teaching this year, and let us know how it's going. Let's support each other!

Editor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori84

Old 08-29-2014, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Well, I was supposed to teach 2nd/3rd grade ESL Math and Science, but one day before Meet the Teacher night I was moved to 5th grade Social Studies. So far its going great, but we'll see as the year continues!
Tori84 is offline   Reply With Quote

goldilicious

2nd Grade
Old 08-30-2014, 03:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach 2nd, and we made it through the first week. It was only 3 days, and now we get to enjoy a 3 day weekend! I'm hopeful for a great year!
goldilicious is offline   Reply With Quote

allisee87

Old 08-30-2014, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach 2nd grade in TN. We're about a month in and I'm already starting to feel tired. I'm exhausted from the lack of support from administration.
allisee87 is offline   Reply With Quote

hc1189

A little bit of both
Old 08-30-2014, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am teaching a combined class of 1st and 2nd grade, 8 students. So far we've had 3 days of school and they went pretty smoothly, but they were challenging. I tried to really be strict and emphasize classroom rules along with being friendly and doing fun activities, but two of the children showed resistance to almost everything we did. So I've got my eyes on them! My biggest concern at the moment is their desire to play in the centers instead of do the actual activities and work in the centers.

hc1189 is offline   Reply With Quote

angelluv8778

One week down
Old 09-01-2014, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

So far its going well. My fourth graders are doing wonderful with learning procedures. Next week we are going to start our data portfolios and set goals.
angelluv8778 is offline   Reply With Quote

FilledwithJoy

Rough
Old 09-02-2014, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My school year has been rough so far, I am teaching middle school Life Skills. I have a very wide range of abilities with my 13 students and feel very alone in my school. On a positive note, I absolutely love my students and their unique personalities.
FilledwithJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

jenae

Old 09-08-2014, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My year is off to an interesting start! I am teaching Kindergarten this year. We are on day 5 of school today and I have one with some severe emotional issues. He has spent nearly the entire day in our principal's office because he just screams "NO!!" when he is asked to do anything that he doesn't want to do. He was carried out by staff this morning after clinging to the base of a table in my room.

My other 18 kiddos are doing really well though. It's a bit draining but we're making it!!

This is testing week so I'm trying to work on a schedule that allows me to pull students while the rest are working independently.
jenae is offline   Reply With Quote

Autumnleaf

Difficult
Old 09-13-2014, 03:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm teaching middle school life skills and I just started last week. My class has been in school since early August. They had a long term sub and the school is implementing the Unique curriculum . The sub did not complete any if the profiles, benchmarks or any of the curriculum .I am essentially a month behind and am panicking a bit. On the bright side, I like my students.
Autumnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote

RookieTeach92

Overwhelmed
Old 09-13-2014, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am teaching 9th/10th grade at an urban high school in Arizona and we've been in school for a little over a month now. I am very burnt out and very overwhelmed and I question my decision to take this job every single day. I want to quit so bad. The crazy thing is, I am working at the high school I graduated from!

Is anyone else thinking of calling it quits already?! I don't know if I can make it til May. I for sure won't be returning next year.

RookieTeach92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Onyxsteacher

Old 09-14-2014, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

So far, it's been going okay! I adore my littles.

Nap time is a daily struggle and I wish we could get my TA situation fixed and settled.
Onyxsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

catandturtle

Old 09-14-2014, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

It's been extremely hard. I work at least 60 hours a week and I'm exhausted. I've spent about seven hours working today (Sunday). I don't feel like I get much guidance from admin. or my team on what my daily schedule should look like. I feel like a lot is missing from my lessons. I'm praying I can make it through the year.
catandturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Anzel1

new teacher
Old 09-18-2014, 06:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Well, I started teaching in may for the first time. I am actually qualified for the foundation phase only, but school admin has now placed me at grade 4 maths and grade 5 science. The workload is horrendous, I have no support from either admin or other teachers as a mentor. Furthermore the principal has forbidden teachers from bringing unruly students to him. There is no sense of discipline or disciplinary measures to follow with difficult learners. Each day I end up feeling that I have regretted becoming a teacher.
Anzel1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Koshveily

Sixth Grade
Old 09-21-2014, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I teach sixth grade and find that I was born to teach... I'm not so great at balancing teaching with my family life and find my relationships are suffering because of my profession. I can't see myself doing this for the rest of my life if it will always interfere with my family life.

Wish someone could assure me that this gets better!!
Koshveily is offline   Reply With Quote

MusicNerd2009

High School
Old 09-25-2014, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I teach 10th grade Honors English at a high school with middle class families. I double majored in Music Education (Voice) and Mathematics with a minor in English. I am the only male English 2 teacher.
MusicNerd2009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookworm33

Old 10-05-2014, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

This is my first year of teaching. I teach ELA 6-8th grade. I am the only English teacher on campus.

I am NOT an English major and I had hoped to teach science but I did not get any offers for that position. I am really struggling with understanding how to teach ELA. It is so vast and there does not seem to be a particular order to cover it all. Or perhaps I have just not hit upon the right way to do this yet.

Like I said, I'm really struggling. I hope I make it through the year.
Bookworm33 is offline   Reply With Quote

bteach99

Not sure I will make it
Old 11-01-2014, 07:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Special education teacher here. Started end of september after the other teacher quit. I am teaching Digital literacy at a private special education school. Students are mostly from urban areas. These students could not make it at their home schools, and are rude and disrespectful. I like the elementary and middle school kids, but the high school kids for the most part are awful. I have two classes in particular that are horrible due to their teacher having no classroom management skills. I will not be returning for sure as I never wanted to teach high school, and my license only K-8. I am implementing a policy whereby students that dont do their work cannot come for free time. We will see how the teachers react but for the most part the classroom teachers are resistant to anything.
bteach99 is offline   Reply With Quote