Help

Substitute Teachers

Good day for me, but....

>

mrsd5

Good day for me, but....
Old 11-06-2018, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

.not for a few students. Two different incidents over two days, and several were on ISS or OSS. The 8th graders were fabulous! Not that I'm happy that the obnoxious kids were missing class or anything.

mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

dietcoke99

specific grade words?
Old 11-08-2018, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know that mrsd5 is not a new poster, but I wonder if this post is not getting any replies because some, at least *I* don't know what ISS or OSS is. I assume it is an elementary thing, but maybe if more of us knew what they mean it would generate more responses. Maybe what the incidents were.

I wondered this a few days ago, and when there weren't any responses today, I thought I would say something.

I know sometimes I say things that some may not know (like IEP - especially if talking to my husband ). Most, all? of us know IEP, but you get my drift.

I know I don't really know what "pull-out, or pull-in," whatever it is, I have to guess what it is and try to get it out of the context.

"busy work," <just kidding!>

"self-contained classroom." (special ed students who do not go to any ge classes)

GE <general ed, I'm thinking of my husband, here>

You get my drift.
dietcoke99 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Oops. Definitions....
Old 11-08-2018, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In-School Suspension
Out of School Suspension.

Push in is when the resource teacher goes into the regular classroom.
Pull out is when the students leave the regular classroom and go to a resource or other room.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

LynneLC

Dismissal
Old 11-08-2018, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

One of my least favorite times of the day was Dismissal, because things were a bit chaotic, and kids were louder than ever. Granted, it was followed by one of my favorite times -- leaving for the day, lol.

I found that within the word Dismissal is Dismal, and the leftover letters form ISS.
LynneLC is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 11-10-2018, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sometimes I don't reply because I have nothing to say! (Some might have difficulty believing that.) While not the case here, I also tend to stay off venting threads and threads where the OP (original poster) is clearly seeking support and agreement and I don't feel I can offer it.

As for acronyms, Google is a friend. I've often told teachers that one of a sub's biggest challenges is vocabulary in general and acronyms in particular. But that's true of any profession, actually.

Language isn't always precise, either. Students from our self-contained classroom are occasionally... um... (can't come up with a good buzzword other than "mainstreamed") into a regular classroom for a subject. I once sprung a student from ISS because I needed her for a meeting that was actually a party. (The AP (assistant principal, not advanced placement) winked at me when she approved so it was all good.)

Perhaps we could start a thread challenge to see who can write a completely unintelligible sentence by using only acronyms and buzzwords.

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote