Substitute Teachers

Performance of a substitute

>

LostINRoom

LostINRoom

Performance of a substitute
Old 11-06-2018, 03:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

If you want to get feedback as a substitute what items would you like for a teacher/student/admin to base things on?

Also, if some absence management system (like Aesop or SubFinder) already does this, what kinds of items are being asked? I'm not sure if the Aesop that our district uses has this feature for the regular teach to use if they have a moment. In a similar way, I don't get to provide feedback/comments via Aesop when I just e-mail my notes direct.

dietcoke99

feedback
Old 11-06-2018, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Good question. I'm the one always rambling about feedback, and I had to think about my answer.

I would simply like a 1-5 score and then a comment box. That would make me happy. Additional questions could be added to it, but that would be the minimum to make me happy.

I DO NOT think things should be added such as "Did the STUDENTS report being treated fairly?" (this is actually a question that AESOP asks the teachers, but I don't remember the rest).

I do not think a student's word should count against a sub (or for) - there are too many variables. How often do we hear (or say) "You took a student's word for it?!" I also don't think there should be questions like "what did the teachers around you think about the sub?," for the same reason, nor the word of an administrator (this is my opinion, maybe not yours). The feedback should be based on the teacher, and only the teacher, IMHO. Even the administrator, in many cases, does not have the whole story, I doubt. The sub may not want to defend themselves, the admin. may exaggerate, take comments from other teachers, who knows?

I have the questions that AESOP asks the sub about the teacher, but I don't think you are asking for that as most of us already have that. I can certainly give you that if you want.
dietcoke99 is online now   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 11-06-2018, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I go back and forth wanting to see feedback. Our sub coordinator said teachers DO give feedback on Aesop and our district has chosen to lock it so only the sub coordinator can see the feedback. She said to contact her if you are interested in seeing your own feedback.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

dietcoke99

feedback
Old 11-07-2018, 12:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I did contact the sub coordinator for feedback and she said there is "no feedback."

I tried contacting her boss, also, and he wouldn't respond.

I learned on here that it is set by the district, so I emailed the superintendent and talked about having to know a teacher, use their computer, and what a hassle to see our feedback. I told her how important it is for us to have feedback so we know how to improve. She agreed with me and sent my email to the boss that I had contacted earlier. No change.

I still stand behind that we need to see our feedback - everybody else does, so why wouldn't it be for us? I have an idea but I am to tired right now to explain. Maybe tomorrow.
dietcoke99 is online now   Reply With Quote
AirStation

AirStation

What type of feedback do you actually need?
Old 11-26-2018, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If you acted appropriately, did as much work product as possible, taught the lesson, made sure the students performed appropriately, no one was killed or maimed, no one's "feelings" were seriously hurt without accountability and repercussions, no one was left behind, and no one forgot important gear to go home or forgot to take homework due for tomorrow - I'd say you are all set.

How's this, you did fine!

What do you want said? A pat on the back? I used to want that too, but I used to getting paid to do the above, and unless I went above and beyond, there was no "feedback." I was just a sub and usually "okay."

In the corporate sector, you get a feedback once a year, it is called a performance appraisal or evaluation. In the college faculty sector, you get reviewed same, a few times formally a year. Unless someone is trying to get you unfairly out of the department, you will be told you are "okay." Basically. Or someone wants your job as department chair, and you will be up for the battle of your life for the misuse of the system while you are "reviewed" to an inch of your life, also unfairly.

Why do you need this feedback? If I had to guess, and obviously I was not there, I would guess you know exactly what you could have done better were there more time, so just do that next time. If the students complained about something, make a mental note if you could have handled it differently. Also, if you feel something was wrong, you can tell the teacher who can address it with the students herself, and it is off your plate either way.