Help

Substitute Teachers

I am fed up, hear me ROAR

>

mrsd5

I am fed up, hear me ROAR
Old 12-04-2018, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This problem has gotten worse each year. So today, I thought I had it solved. Eighth grade students watched CNN 10 and then filled out their CNN sheets. After that, I told them to look at me and listen carefully for directions. They are beginning Civil War studies, and each has created a civil war solder persona who writes letters home. Today they were to take a sheet they'd already filled out where they analyzed a Civil War picture. They were to write home and tell about their experiences based on the picture. They HAD a filled out graphic organizer and their first letters. Easy and creative, right? I gave them the directions very clearly. They appeared to be listening. Desks are arranged in table groups, so after I gave directions, I stopped at each table to make sure they were on task. After two tables, I went back to the front and ROARED at them to stop what they were doing. I let them know in NO way were most of them doing what I had directed. They were just making up stuff to put in the letters and not referring to the organizer. I told them that I would NOT repeat the directions, nor would I give them any help. I gave the tables ONE minute to talk it out and clarify what they were to be doing. Then I sat down for 10 minutes before I got up to roam the room again. God help them in half a year when they are in high school! Both the teacher next door AND the custodian were laughing when they saw me. The custodian said it had been nearly 4 years, and he KNEW it must be me subbing. Sigh....

mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 12-04-2018, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It sounds like you created an excellent and creative lesson that required some serious thought, but I don't think students really want that. Instead, they crave easy--let me work in a group so someone else can give me all the answers, and keep the assignment short and simple. Don't make me have to think or work hard.

Of course all students aren't like that, but it seems as if too many are.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 12-04-2018, 10:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I can't remember one class I've worked in where every student has listened to/understood what the assignment was. There is always someone who will ask what page? what's the assignment? what do we do? Sometimes I'll repeat for the whole class to hear, sometimes I'll point at the board where it's written, sometimes I'll tell them to ask a classmate if I've repeated it already. This is for every elementary and junior high class I've worked in. I don't work high school much anymore so I don't remember if they're any better.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 12-05-2018, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree w/ c6g, most students just want the work to be spoon-fed to them, rather than having to think. Actually, I think weíre at the point where they expect you to chew and swallow it for them as well.

I do what Sublime does, b/c Iím just over it, and will not endlessly repeat instructions. I have noticed that in classes where Iím a regular sub, some of the kids will respond to a clueless classmate, ďMrs. Mooba TOLD us xyz!!Ē, or ď Itís on the board!!!Ē Itís oddly satisfying to hear some of them get as exasperated as I do.

Sounds like a very creative lesson you had there. Itís a shame that some just cannot be bothered to learn.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Flowerstill58

Spoon feed me
Old 12-05-2018, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It is very sad that after all the training we have had as teachers to make "active and engaging" lessons that students do want it spoon fed to them. There is no real education going on it seems. I also visually show them the directions and do not repeat them. So sorry for all of us.

Flowerstill58 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Clarifying about the lesson
Old 12-05-2018, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The teacher whose class I taught created the lesson. I just carried it out. It should have been totally engaging, and it was for the few who actually paid attention. Like I did for most of my career, she teaches two blocks of reading/language arts and one class of social studies. In fact, she was moved into my position when I was moved down into seventh grade. She is a fabulous teacher! Now if only the students appreciated her.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote