Help

Substitute Teachers

Sub shortage

>

SubMan

Sub shortage
Old 11-08-2018, 06:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How bad is the sub shortage in your area?

Depending on the district subs can be scarce. One agency is offering a $25.00 premium if you take a hard to fill vacancy or drop a job to take one of theirs.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Pretty bad
Old 11-08-2018, 06:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My bigger district definitely has jobs that go unfilled, especially in high school.

Some of it is the pay, I think some is declining respect from the kids, but mostly, I think they messed themselves up when they restricted subs to four days a week because of insurance. Several of their best ones left for steadier jobs.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

NatureLvr

Old 11-08-2018, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The district I used to work in can barely find subs. Pay is really low, behavior is bad, and they limit days worked also for insurance reasons. They have a few teachers who retired from the district who still sub because they like the familiarity but they can also be hard to get because only work when they don't have something else going on.
NatureLvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 11-08-2018, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Iím headed out in a few minutes, but there are 25 unfilled jobs this morning. We get a $20 pay bump for certain schools but it is hardly worth it. Between nowhere to park, terrible behavior, no admin support itís not worth many peopleís time. I got my first pay bump in 8 years a few years ago, and donít expect to see another one any time soon.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

dietcoke99

sub shortage?
Old 11-08-2018, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It's hard for me to tell, but in general I think my district is O.K. I get called, maybe 2 or 3 times a day, but some of them are ones that most subs don't take - like sped, or boys p.e., autoshop, etc., so it is hard to tell. It seems like they may have enough for the regular jobs and I just get called for ones left over, maybe (it's my first year, and I didn't start at the beginning, so I only know the teachers in my subject (science), though. Buts it's not always like that, though, so it's hard to tell.

I always see some sub folders on the secretary's desk, though, and say something about that. I think about asking her if there is ever a day when there aren't enough subs, but I keep forgetting (and she is busy).

If you work 50 days in a year, though, you get $15 a day more in the next year. I have worked probably 5 1/2 days, though, and I don't know if that counts. I think they may do that more because they want consistency, not for a shortage of subs (that's what I read, somewhere).

Last edited by dietcoke99; 11-08-2018 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: afterthought
dietcoke99 is offline   Reply With Quote

dietcoke99

insurance?
Old 11-08-2018, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

They get insurance? That would REALLY rub me the wrong way if they restricted us SO THEY WOULDN'T HAVE TO PAY INSURANCE TO US. I would go somewhere else, too, even if it paid less. It's just the thought of the thing that they would actually do that.

We don't get insurance, but if they took it out for that reason that would tick me off big time. Maybe just not give insurance to the new subs, if possible, or some other way to deal with it, not in that way. Terrible decision.

They are losing their best subs which will hurt the students in the long run. IMHO

dietcoke99

hazard pay
Old 11-08-2018, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

There is a large city near me that many people will not even consider. They pay more, but I consider it "hazard pay." They pay much more, for their regular teachers, too. This is what happened to me when I worked there for a little while when I first moved here.
1. I had a can of Dr. Pepper on the desk. I discovered later that a student had put STAPLES in it!
2. I got my purse stolen.

That is when I quit!

dietcoke99

unfilled jobs
Old 11-08-2018, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

How do you know how many unfilled jobs there are? I would like to know this, more out of curiosity than anything.

SubMan

Old 11-08-2018, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
How do you know how many unfilled jobs there are? I would like to know this, more out of curiosity than anything.
1. The number of "coverages" and extra duties I have. In some schools/districts the only break I get is lunch and sometimes I'm eating lunch supervising students. Okay kids, it's time for Art and oh, by the way, I'm your Art teacher too!

2. The emails I get from sub agencies begging people to take jobs. These started in September this year, received another one in October, and just got one for the three days leading up to Thanksgiving.

3. The number of jobs I see lingering in Aesop. Jobs that nobody wants (Music, Special Ed) or jobs I don't want (girls Phys Ed, Family and Consumer Science).

4. The number of jobs I see when I am removed from an assignment and placed into another. One recent Friday I ended up teaching 3 math classes at the same time in the auditorium. Okay, left section you do this, center section you do these problems, and right section you do something else. After I was removed from the job I had Jobulator went nuts alerting me to jobs before the school put me in the new assignment, there were 58 unfilled absences in 6 districts.

5. I saw online recently that Pennsylvania has lost 10,000 subs between 2014 and 2017.

6. Sub wages have remained stagnant in many districts, other districts have gone to temp agencies causing subs to quit.

It all adds up to a big sub shortage in my area.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 11-08-2018, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Sub Shortages start about this time and goes thru March. We don't get bonuses, darn it. We get paid $18.50 an hour, so I'm happy with that.

artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Kailey123

Old 11-10-2018, 03:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

[QUOTE]How do you know how many unfilled jobs there are? I would like to know this, more out of curiosity than anything./QUOTE]

Our online system is set up so that on days you are working you cannot see any other jobs that are open. But on days when I'm not working I always go look just out of curiosity. I only do elementary school and sometimes there are 30 jobs listed that no one has picked up.

We have a HUGE sub shortage here, and then of those who do sub there are some who are banned from various schools for being worthless. Seriously, how hard is it to follow the plans that the teacher left? At the school where I work there was a guy who came in to do an 8-day job. At the end of the 8 days the room was a disaster and the teacher came back to find that nothing had gone as she'd planned.

Anyway, on days when I'm not working and I look at the list I see the same schools listed...there are about four or five that subs just hate to go to. Others, like my school, almost never have jobs untaken because they get snapped up immediately since subs know it's a good school to work at. We have our share of problem kids but the front office is VERY supportive, and the same-grade teachers are always helpful to a sub, etc.

My district has recently (started this year) offering an incentive to subs who take special ed jobs. The incentive is a chance to be entered in a raffle at the end of the year. lol. The raffle basket does contain some really nice things but still that is SO not worth it to me. I actually do sub for special ed resource teachers at my school, but those are easy jobs because it's mostly push-in for classrooms with kids who have an IEP. But I never sub for self-contained rooms, and especially not for the autism rooms, because I zero training in special ed and I just don't know how to deal with the behaviors. Other subs feel the same way because those jobs are always listed as not taken. I may actually have enough jobs to be entered into that raffle from just the special ed resource jobs, but I'm not going after it specifically.

A better incentive would be more money. But I know I'll never see that.
Kailey123 is offline   Reply With Quote

dietcoke99

Old 11-10-2018, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

<At the end of the 8 days the room was a disaster and the teacher came back to find that nothing had gone as she'd planned.> etc., etc., etc.,

I find this extremely arrogant.

I would have more respect for someone who said, "This person had a really hard time, based on what I have knowledge of, which is only that nothing had been done as planned, and only that reported by the teacher." 8 days is a really long time for a sub. I wonder if this is his first time in a position for this long as a sub? I wish I could have helped him more, but I really didn't know that he was doing this poorly and was having such a hard time. I honestly had never even talked to him. If I had it to do over again I would definitely do it differently. At least I learned and will do it better next time, instead of saying how terrible he is, how great I am, especially when I don't really know and never talked to him so he didn't have the opportunity to defend himself - it is easier and it makes me feel better to just tear him down."

<you get my drift, but I'm sure it will fall on deaf, arrogant ears, who will try to tear me down, as well.>

We're getting into the "tear other subs down" threads, like we had when I first came on here, and what made me quit. I was glad that when I came back because it was different and had changed, but it looks like we're returning. <Sigh>

retiredtwice

Old 11-15-2018, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

In one local district if you work

10 days in the month they pay you an extra $50,
15 days in the month they pay you an extra $100,
20 days in the month they pay you an extra $150.

That's the only extra stipend that I'm aware in my area.

Quote:
We get paid $18.50 an hour, so I'm happy with that.
OMG..We get $80/day, less than minimum wage!
retiredtwice is offline   Reply With Quote