I hope I don't get banned from this school now! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

I hope I don't get banned from this school now!

>

Sirsubalot

I hope I don't get banned from this school now!
Old 11-08-2018, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just got back from a 2nd grade class at the closest school to my house.

There was an issue with a student, who I will call Steve, that the office manager or secretary is blaming me for, when it is really the fault of the non-responsive office.The Principal was gone today, or she might have gotten involved.
Steve was mentioned in my lesson plan as a student to look out for, but no other detail mentioned.

Without any observable cause or provocation. Steve began to huff and puff with anger, while squirming around his desk, dropping papers and pencils beneath his desk, and on one occasion running around the room.The girl next to him says that the teacher lets him outside to run around the grass five times when he gets angry but I was not about to let this kid out to run around unsupervised.

I gave Steve two choices, I calmly told him he could walk around the room if needed to cool off, or I would call the office to have him picked up, and maybe they would let him run around.

Steve did not respond to either choice, but remained agitated.

I called the office to come get him They said OK. Unfortunately, it is a two minute walk to the office.

I told the students to try to remain calm, so as not to make things worse, but Steve now started to walk around lunging towards students. Some were scared and running away.

The office staff either forgot to show up, or were very slow. I called them back and said this was a safety issue.

FINALLY, an office secretary arrived to take him out, and she noticed some students were loud and out of their seats. The office lady who picked him up was never a warm and fuzzy person.

I eventually called to ask if I should pick up the mess, or leave it as evidence.

Her response forced me to bite my tongue.

I was too angry to recall her exact words, but she used this opportunity to tell me this was a classroom management issue and that she could tell on the phone and in the room that the class was loud.
She, in effect, blamed me for not keeping the students calm, and said it was the students' behavior that got him upset.

She also said Steve was upset to see other students outside,( likely either to go to the nurse or to the restroom), and that this upset him because he was not outside.

I wanted to say, ' If you had come to remove him when I called the FIRST TIME, that they would have been more calm, and so would have Steve."

I have never gotten good vibes from this secretary, so it would not surprise me if she tells the Principal I should be removed from the sub list.

This will be the 5th school I will be blocked from, and they might just dump me.

If they do in this case, I will not go down quietly. I should not be punished for her negligence.

The loudness comment, was exaggerated. The class did OK under the circumstances.

Last edited by Sirsubalot; 11-08-2018 at 04:48 PM..
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 11-08-2018, 08:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Wow . . . five schools?
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 11-08-2018, 08:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Four schools now, I don't want to make it five.

One of the schools reappeared. so I guess it is now three, but I have not gotten any jobs from them yet.
Lenoral

Lenoral

Gotcha!!
Old 11-08-2018, 10:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Gotcha! That's what some people at schools do. This is why I have a problem with substitute teaching. Subs are easy to replace, so some regular employees at schools feel they don't have to be respectful towards them. I had a similar situation like yours the other day, but the principal had my back. He knew about this one particularly troublesome student. The entire staff knew about this one student's reputation. So I was lucky in this case. I taught full time for years, when I sub, people assume I am a novice.

Yeah, I once took a class to the library. I reminded the class 3 or 4 times to behave before we went there. As the kids were looking for their books , the librarian flipped her wig and thought they were making too much noise. She was raising her voice and was pretty disrespectful to the students. The students were simply talking quietly and enthusiasticly about their new books They were NOT loud. Plus, it was the very first time I stepped into that library. Anyway, I am sure she told the regular teacher that I had difficulty controlling the students which is a load of b.s. She was wound too tightly. The other day I was in another library with another class at a different school,and this librarian was very nice to me and the students. She let the students talk quietly about their books inside the library. That person who played gotcha! With you says much more about her employee experience than yours. She probably has problems at work often, miserable and now wants to make someone else miserable. And that's you! Some people are sadistic. Find another school and or district to work at.

subasaurus

Don't return
Old 11-09-2018, 03:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Even if they didn't block you I'd certainly recommend not going back.

Sounds like the office are absolutely useless there.

That's a huge liability.

Take your business elsewhere. You don't want to deal with trouble.

subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 11-09-2018, 04:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with Subasaurus. Immediately and quietly put that school on your don't go back list.

Over the years, I've learned that there are some schools in which it is rarely necessary to send students to the office. In others, it is almost a given that students will need to be sent. I've slowly excluded schools in the second category from my list. I have plenty of work now, and the aggravation (and rise in blood pressure) from working in these more stressful schools isn't worth it.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 11-09-2018, 12:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The school where I taught second grade had a class with a student like describe. When he was in second grade we would rotate him among the second grade teachers to ensure that no one had to put up with his behaviors for the entire day.

If he was sent to the office he would come back with a Jolly Rancher, ginning from ear to ear. He would also eat breakfast at school. If he couldn't get pancakes he would "throw a fit" which resulted in him being removed by two (or more) adults. One day he came to class with hot cakes and sausage from McDonald's. In order to get him to calm down the principal took him to get breakfast.

Fast forward to 4th grade, the three sections are now two. When his teacher was out the school would get two subs for that class.

As others have said, best to leave this school in your rear-view-mirror.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 11-09-2018, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yes, put this school in your rear view mirror. I sub in classes that have one (or more) Steves in them, and were it not for supportive grade level teams and admin, I wouldn’t darken the door of those schools.

Think what could’ve happened if Steve’s behavior had escalated and put other students in danger. The lax attitude of the office in this case was not only unacceptable, but potentially dangerous, as well.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

pt2014js

Old 11-09-2018, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I agree with all of the above. Rear view mirror for this school until the next year when classes/students change and you can try your luck again.

On the other hand if you know the other classes are fine, just stay away from that class.
pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 11-09-2018, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have been going to this school about seven to ten times a year for about 20 years, so it is not generally a problem school. There was an issue last year that the Principal asked me about, but I do not recall the details and nothing became of it.

If I decide to ignore this school , that means I am only allowed to go to only half of the elementary schools, so I am not at that point yet.

To their credit, there was a psychologist who came in to observe him after lunch, and one of the student's mom was a kindergarten teacher at the school, and she came in to work with him before the psychologist arrived.

There was also an aide in the room for most of the afternoon after the psychologist left.

That makes three adults in the room after he got back from the office. The kid was normal the rest of the day.

The thought crossed my mind that two of the three might actually be observing me. I didn't think so, but it occurred to me as a possibility.

I probably exaggerated my per-conceived description of this secretary( or manager), because she never smiled, but it wasn't until yesterday that she truly gave me bad vibes.

Sirsubalot

Old 11-09-2018, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I just recalled that I did do something rather stupid, and based on the secretary's tone's, she was a little aggravated that I did this. This happened before Steve became an issue.

A new girl was starting in the classroom today. When a student was feeling ill and wanted to go to the nurse, I asked her to choose someone from class to walk with her.

She chose the new girl. I soon felt like an as* when the secretary with frustration in her voice said " you sent her down with a new student, and the new student does not know the way back to class, please send two more students to walk her back."
I was embarrassed for not thinking of this.

This might have given her the notion that I was not too bright , and this created a lack of credibility of me on her part, and hence her attitude towards me regarding the Steve situation.
Lenoral

Lenoral

Subbing and Teaching
Old 11-10-2018, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

@Sirsubalot. A good number of teachers make mistakes often, but since many of them are in unions, schools can't always discipline or reprimand them. It does depend on the severity of the mistake.

Even in charter or private schools, teacher's mistakes are often ignored because they are regular employees, and they are known by fellow staff members.

A substitute does not have this protection. I walk on eggshells every time I sub. The fact that I've been in this field both partial and full-time for years does not matter to many educators in public schools. Murphy's Law will raise its ugly head every now and then. It's very difficult to control because it seems to be an inevitable part of life.

A poster on here from another thread made a very good comment. Substitute teaching should definitely be a requirement before a person teaches full-time for so many reasons. One thing it does is humble a person. Another thing substitute teaching does is give one an understanding that many students simply behave differently around a sub no matter what experiences, education, or jobs the sub has had before.

Another important thing subbing does is test a person's ability to manage an unfamiliar group of students.

There are so many factors why subbing should be a prerequisite to teaching.

I am currently trying to get into another field of education by interviewing for other jobs, and interviewing is a whole other subject of difficulty as well.

Believe me I understand. Sometimes when I think I've had a pretty good day, I look back at something I did or said and wonder why in the #%&@*! did I do that in the first place.

Sirsubalot

Old 11-10-2018, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

You make very good points!

I have worked in about 2500 different classrooms over the years, so the law of averages will eventually take its toll.
Flowerstill

Flowerstill

This is why I do not sub anymore
Old 11-11-2018, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Classroom management these days mean; letting a student have a temper tantrum or disrupt the class because they can! They get rewarded for bad behavior! So sad that this is happening in schools. I actually had to go to rewarding students with good behavior as they were just actually doing what they were supposed to. Got in trouble for that because I made the student who was misbehaving feel bad about himself. Enough said. Subbing is an enormously hard job as is teaching. Just smile at that secretary and move on.

Sirsubalot

Old 11-11-2018, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

This is also a good point.

I always try to put an emphasis on the good students. I let them know that those who do well will be noted in my report to the teacher, and that hopefully you will all get an A for the day.