Help

Substitute Teachers

Questioning you as soon as students walk in room

>

artladyhere

Questioning you as soon as students walk in room
Old 11-17-2018, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you respond to students that want to ask you a million questions the moment they walk in the room? "Are we taking the test? Are we going to the library? Is the project due today? Are we presenting? etc etc?"

artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 11-18-2018, 05:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I usually do something like, "Thanks for asking... when everyone is in their seats and ready to listen, I'll go over what we're going to do today..." (The language might change a little based on grade level.)
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 11-18-2018, 08:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do the same as Maine Sub, and if needed, I go into broken record mode, simply repeating the same sentence without emotion. They give up pretty quickly after that, and prepare for the day.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

same here
Old 11-18-2018, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yep. This happens every time I sub (elementary K-4th). I greet them at the door and before they even enter the room, I get a barrage of questions: "what's your name?", "are you a sub?", "where's Mrs./Mr. Regular Teacher?", etc., etc. I just announce ONCE that I will answer questions when class begins, give each kid a fist bump, and wave them into the classroom. This also sets the tone that I am in charge (not the kids) and that there is a protocol.

I find their questions endearing and amusing, not annoying. Their curiosity is a good thing.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 11-20-2018, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If possible, I try to get to the room early enough to write my name and the plan for class on the board. Then, as every student enters and asks their question, I silently point to the board. By the time the last kid enters and asks, there’s a chorus of students saying, “Look at the board!”

lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

dietcoke99

What are we doing today?
Old 11-20-2018, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When a student asks me "What are we doing today?," I say "What do you WANT to do today?"

This may backfire in elementary, but hardly anybody asks this in high school, and when I respond like that, they usually just walk away because I caught them off-guard : ) I do it with a smile on my face.

I might tell them, at that point, depending on what is going on.
dietcoke99 is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemEd

It is a happy thing!
Old 11-28-2018, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Of course they are curious about us. We are the big event of the day. I do the same as Lisa - get in early enough to put something on the board. I just let them know that we'll talk about everything when they are in class, and settled.

I am a retired elementary school teacher (big surprise! as if my pic and screen name didn't give that away already!), so I only sub elementary schools. Instead of writing my name, I draw a picture, and let them guess. My last name is North. If I have K through 2nd, I draw a picture of the North Pole with Santa's workshop, snow, a pole, and a sled full of toys. When they guess, I write my name, and tell them this will help them remember. (It does.) If I have 3rd through 5th, I change it up a bit. I draw a compass rose, and have the class identify the points, East, South, West, and finally North, then write my name. It kind of sets up the day with a friendly vibe.

I totally love subbing. Retired last year, so am just getting started. I say that now I am 'dabbling in teaching.'
ElemEd is offline   Reply With Quote

retiredtwice

Old 12-07-2018, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I subbed in the largest district in my area yesterday and the teacher was marvelous. She had Power Point slides for the agenda, needs, supplies and expectations. If a movie was played, a link from the slide was provided. The school does Youtube announcements 6th hour and it was as easy as clicking on the link. The students knew to look to the screen to see what was expected and it was fantastic. She provided a slide for each class with additional ones for definitions, etc. I was thoroughly impressed.
retiredtwice is offline   Reply With Quote