New Teachers

Looking for a new job...

>

NewTeach777

NewTeach777

Looking for a new job...
Old 03-15-2016, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a first year teacher at a very small school district. I teach special education. I could go into a rant about how my job is but I wont right now. To sum it up though, I need/want to leave. My SPED department is not run right and some of the things go against student's IEPs or under the idea of "least restrictive environment." I have also received very little mentoring from another teacher that isn't the best.

The school district I student taught under has an opening and I was encouraged to apply so I applied and got an interview. I know the school has a well organized SPED department and I would have better support there but there is one major catch: The school is having budget problems. They have cut positions in the past (although the last couple years they've replaced some) and a study showed the future isn't going to get much better (although the government has upped some education aid). I think I would be happier at the new job.

My biggest fear is that I will leave a secure job to take a job that might be at risk. I know SPED isn't often cut and if they were going to cut the position they wouldn't post it, but I can't help but wonder.

So I need advice on what I should do? Is it appropriate to ask about job security in the interview? Should I just stay where I am for now? Should I wait until later in the "hiring season" and see if other schools open up jobs?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

K12ESLteacher

Go with your gut
Old 03-17-2016, 04:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You can do the following:
1. if you do choose to interview, be honest. You will also have some time at the end for questions. You can ask something like this: "What are the school's plans in ___________ for the next few years?" They should be able to explain what their plans are, and based on their response you will be able to make judgment and decide if that is the school you would want to commit to, and the one that will actually last.
2. You can wait out and apply to more schools so you will have more options to choose from.

Best of luck!
K12ESLteacher is offline   Reply With Quote