New Teachers

Smack!

>

SubZero987

SubZero987

Smack!
Old 04-01-2016, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So for privacy, I do not want to say what type of Teacher I am, but I will say that some time ago, I was covering in my Middle School for a Teacher that I know pretty well. Her Students are absolutely wild and have several behavioral disorders - on this particular day, several students were also supposed to be suspended or in in-school suspension, but the suspension class was full, so they had free reign.

Just so happens my observer wants to pop in this same day.

The class was outrageous, but I did everything by the evaluation sheet as I know it by heart. However, right in the middle of my lesson, a boy and a girl, who are sitting shoulder-to-shoulder because of this teacher's horrible seating chart, and the boy tugs a diary out of the girl's hand. They get into a physical tug-of-war match, with the girl begging me aloud not to let him have it or read it.

I ask aloud "What is going on here!?" in my serious tone and walk directly next to the two students. First, to be fair, I ask "Who's Diary is this?" - they both say "Mine!" I then say that because I do not know who's it is, I will have to take it up until the end of class. The girl is not offended by this as she simply wants the diary to remain private, but the boy argues "No, I'm not giving it to you!" I repeat twice for him to "please" give me the diary in serious tones.

After the 3rd refusal, I do a firm but not extremely loud "slap" on his desk, with my hand remaining on the surface to show that my hand was going nowhere else, and I said, "I need it now." It immediatel solved the problem, and I told the good girl she'd get it back at the bell, and to the boy, that a behavior note would be left for the Teacher. Nothing else was said, he was still happy and giggling as usual through class, and even joked around with me before the end of class (I've had him before.) The desk slap was also not even loud enough for the other side of the class to pay much attention to, and no one in the class found it unordinary.

Except my observer wants to say I "slammed" my hand on a Desk, with no other note explaining why, and I gathered that it might turn into an extreme deal. I obviously would not have attacked a student or flew off the rails with my observer right there! Lol! But these are extremely challenging, poverty-line Students who I enjoy working with a lot of the times, and yes, a few "rough around the edges" techniques do work wonders with them. I solved the problem, what else could I have done? I was in the middle of a lesson!

jazzer

Old 04-02-2016, 08:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hopefully there is a place on your evaluation form to explain yourself. However, it seems wrong to me that you would be observed while filling in for a class that is not even yours. Did the observer know that? Hopefully you can make it clear that the student was not afraid and that sometimes this population needs an approach that is more drastic but not dangerous.
jazzer is online now   Reply With Quote

deana021

question
Old 04-05-2016, 10:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

what grade was this?
deana021 is offline   Reply With Quote