Help

New Teachers

It's time to panic!

>

Panicking

It's time to panic!
Old 04-15-2016, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just accepted my very first teaching job (high school english!) and now I'm panicking. It's for next year so I have a while to panic. My main concern right now is money. I'm moving from one state to the other and I have no idea how much I'll be bringing home a month (Any Florida OCPS teachers?) so I have no idea what rent or anything should be. Panic!

Panicking is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 04-16-2016, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Your salary should be information that is available to you. Probably it is written on your contract. If you can't find it, the school district can give you the annual amount.

Once you have the annual amount, divide it by 12 to get the monthly amount. Even though you don't work in the summer, you still need to eat and pay rent!

I would assume that about 30% or so will go to taxes, FICA, and other withholding, so you'll be left with about 70% of the monthly amount.

There are payroll calculators online that can give you a better estimate...or ask the payroll office at your school district. (In my district, they are very helpful. Your mileage may vary).

The general rule of thumb is that rent should be around 30% of your income or less.
lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote
123456teach

123456teach

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I went to UCF and did all of my internships in Orlando. I've since moved, but am still very familiar with the area. What part of town are you looking? Rent will vary based upon location downtown, Lake Mary, Kissimmee, etc.