Struggling to make material interesting. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

New Teachers

Struggling to make material interesting.

>

hotelarizona

Struggling to make material interesting.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all,

I'm new here (HI!) and I'm in my third month of full-time teaching (I got my B.Ed. in 2013-14, and had my first teaching job last summer at a private ESL high school).

I'm struggling on multiple levels and I'm very stressed out, and this forum has helped me to see I'm not alone! I have a subject-specific question though, and I'm hoping for some advice.

I teach high school English and I struggle to make material interesting for students. My go-tos because they're easy to manage and they "work" are handing out then reviewing discussion questions, lecturing for a bit, and then doing guiding questions alone, in pairs, or in small groups. My students never seem to respond to anything more out of the box that I've tried -- I'm not sure if it's because they don't trust me, I don't trust myself, or they're just not those kinds of groups, but they never seem to find that stuff relevant to what they "need". Having said that, they always seem pretty bored in class and I want to stand out more as innovative but often, I just can't seem to come up with creative ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions for this? I don't want to be the same old boring English teacher but I'm kind of at a loss as to how to be more exciting.

hotelarizona is offline   Reply With Quote

Oncidium

Old 11-16-2015, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Why not post a contest or survey so the students can tell you? Perhaps one of their suggestions will yield an answer?

My only thought, based upon the person I am, is to have a unit in graphic novels, or cartooning, using advanced language, metaphor, simile, hyperbole etc. Possibly connect language with film scripting, animation, writing plays etc, and have them film a short film for you tube.This may be advanced, but if it has a due date of the end of the year, and is broken up into sections.

You might think about getting involved in NANOWRIMO for younger kids too. Many teenagers participate in the world wide month long celebration of writing.

November is nearly over, and that is NANOWRIMO month.
Oncidium is offline   Reply With Quote

hotelarizona

Old 11-16-2015, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's funny because I actually did do a survey - they gave me some information that helped me get back on track but I think it's just that sometimes I struggle for them to take me seriously - this could be because I'm 5'2" and look really young, or because they know I'm new, or I just lack teacher presence still. I feel like I need them to get serious with work and deadlines in order for them to sit up and pay attention.
hotelarizona is offline   Reply With Quote

Oncidium

Old 12-02-2015, 05:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am sad about the "short" part. If you think about it, they would be "seeing" you based upon physical features that you have no control over. They should be seeing you based upon your Degrees and Job title. You are El Maestro, not the short person in front of the class yammering. With that title, you are the boss.
Oncidium is offline   Reply With Quote