Help

New Teachers

Men In The Elementary School

>

mrteacher2012

Men In The Elementary School
Old 12-29-2015, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've wanted to become a teacher since the age of 6. After all of these years, I knew I wanted to become a teacher but I didn't know exactly what I wanted to teach. After reaching middle school and high school, I decided that it would be good for me to teach in the lower grades because I realized that there were not many men in the elementary grade levels. I felt that it would be a positive thing for the young boys who may not have a positive male figure in their lives at that age. This could benefit young boys in many areas. I feel like it would keep fewer boys from getting into trouble and getting out of control if they have a male to help them understand (definitely not saying female teachers can't do this!! They do an amazing job!) My question is how do you all feel about men being in the elementary school levels to teach? I would want to however teach in the grades of 3rd-5th grade. Thank You!!

mrteacher2012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 12-29-2015, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think it's wonderful! We have one male teacher in the third grade at my main elementary, and he is super popular with the kids! The parents want him for just the reason you mentioned - a positive role model for their boys.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

We need you!
Old 12-29-2015, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In our school, we've had men in every grade level except first grade, including kindergarten. I hope you find a position in a grade level you will enjoy.

Last edited by linda2671; 12-29-2015 at 05:54 PM..
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Oncidium

Old 12-29-2015, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have been in elementary schools where there are several male teachers. I've even seen a male pre-K teacher.
Oncidium is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Not unusual here
Old 12-29-2015, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have some male elementary teachers, not nearly enough!

Male teachers are also good role models for girls!

dee is offline   Reply With Quote

TaffyFL

I selected a male teacher
Old 12-29-2015, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I selected a male teacher for my son when he was going into 5th grade. As a parent he was a great role model for my son.
TaffyFL is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Old 12-29-2015, 08:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The primary school I teach at has male teachers in kindy, year 3, year 4, and year 6. They're all excellent & I know parents who actually request them b/c they want a positive male role model for their kids.

A couple of them were talking a little while ago about how they do feel the need to be extra careful in not being alone with kids. In Australia, we've recently had a lot of inquests into sexual abuse in schools, and unfortunately, male teachers were usually the perpetrators so that is in people's minds. Makes me sad that the wrongdoing of others makes it harder for good men to do their jobs in schools. But I don't think that should put you off at all, it's just something to be aware of in terms of covering yourself.

If you love working with little kids and teaching is your passion, then go for it!

P.s. I like Dee's point about male teachers being good role models for girls too. Very true!
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

yellowdaisies

Old 12-29-2015, 09:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I wish we had more male teachers at my school! We only have one, a 4th grade teacher. I think male teachers add a lot to the school community and to their classrooms.
yellowdaisies is offline   Reply With Quote

mrteacher2012

Old 12-29-2015, 10:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank you everyone for your comments! I currently work in an after-school program with children from kindergarten through 5th grade. I enjoy it very much. It's interesting to see how much they grow throughout the school and its also life changing for me because I had a 1st grade boy tell me I was his hero and listed me on his thankful list for thanksgiving. I do get many of the disruptive kids sent to me because I'm the only male around there and they actually respond to me differently. If I wasn't sure about working in education before, I definitely am now!

Teacherbee_4

We need males!
Old 12-30-2015, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I agree! We need more males! I think it's good for kids to have both male and female teachers at all levels! For my own selfish reasons, I also think the climate changes as more men are added to the staff, often in a good way! I worked at a school that was ALL women, other than a male principal who had no balls and was easily manipulated. The climate at that school was HORRIBLE! There was lots of tattling to the principal, lots of cliques, lots of backstabbing, etc. My current school has 7 males. While we still definitely have a lot of cattiness and stuck in high school type behavior, for the most part, it's much better than my old school! I really do think the male presence has something to do with that!

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 12-31-2015, 04:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I think in many ways it's been harder for men to break certain gender barriers than it has been for women. I think you've gotten lots of encouragement here. Best wishes for a happy career in teaching!
lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

Oncidium

Old 12-31-2015, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I don't know about that lisa53. Historically, most teachers were men. It took women breaking through the gender barrier to actually be allowed into college to get degrees in the late 1800's. Yes, teaching became more female oriented. That was due to low pay (described as "modest")--- And for a long time, only single, unmarried women (without children) were even allowed to be teachers. Men however continue to get the highest paying administrative jobs regardless that less of them are in their field. Men also dominate as teachers in Higher Education.

Sorry to be Debbie Downer.
Oncidium is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Oncidium
Old 12-31-2015, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Well, that is true, but even in the early 1800s, young single women often taught elementary school. They didn't have college degrees, but possibly had a degree from a normal school. I'm involved in a local historical society and one of our museums is an old schoolhouse. The vast majority of the teachers were women, starting in the late 1700s. In fact, of the hundreds of teachers at that one room schoolhouse (they had short terms and hired teachers to board in by the term), only two or three were men.

Even in my grandmother's day (ca 1900), most elementary teachers were women. When I speak of a gender barrier, I refer specifically to elementary level classroom teaching, which is still dominated by women.

I myself taught high school and college level. Admin is definitely dominated by men (although that is changing) and high school teachers seem to be about equally men and women.

It's not that education in general is a woman's field, but elementary teaching specifically has been mostly women for the past several centuries.

Last edited by lisa53; 01-01-2016 at 07:32 AM..

lisa53

Old 01-01-2016, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I've been thinking more about this, and what Oncidium said, so here are my further thoughts:

The gender barrier that keeps more men from becoming elementary school teachers is a different kind of barrier than the glass ceiling that prevents women from advancing. Rather, it's a psychological and social barrier. Men are sometimes embarrassed to be "doing women's work". The importance and value of the work is significant, but it isn't rewarded monetarily, and men are encouraged by society to consider themselves successful not based on the significance of their work, but on the amount of money they can make. These social barriers begin early. Boys are not generally encouraged to play with dolls, for example. Toys for boys emphasize power, engineering skills, and risk taking, not nurturing.

Times are changing. Even 40 years ago, my macho Hispanic dh was a stay at home dad--but he was the only one we knew! Now it is more common for men to be the one at home raising the kids. When I was a girl, men did not cook. That has certainly changed!

Nevertheless, there are social barriers that are still in place. Just as I applaud my mother who was a time and motion study engineer for Glen L. Martin during World War II, opening the door just a crack so her daughters could become engineers or foresters, so I applaud men who decide to become elementary school teachers or nurses or stay at home dads. They are choosing their work because it is valuable to society, even if the money isn't so good. That's a change in thinking that may eventually bring more monetary and social value to those important careers. Male teachers are role models for boys and girls in a different way than females. Male nurses have help to offer patients in a different way than women who are nurses. Society gets "value added" by the addition of men to the workforce of teachers, nurses, and other typically female jobs.

I think it takes a certain kind of courage to enter a profession that is dominated by the opposite sex. I did so (I have a Master's degree in Civil Engineering, and was one of only a few women in my graduating class, back in the 1970's), my husband did as well. Just the fact that mrteacher2012 asked the question about how we feel about male elementary teachers tells the story. Mrteacher2012, I applaud you and welcome you to the profession!

mrteacher2012

Old 01-01-2016, 09:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Thank you very much! It means a lot!

mrteacher2012

Old 01-01-2016, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I would like to say thank you to everyone for their comments, thoughts, and opinions. It means a lot. I had no idea anyone would respond. I have a year left of school and I can't wait to begin my career. I look forward to being in the classroom, but may one day later in my career move to the music room. I have a musical background also and I would love to work with kids and providing them with a musical background. I've had thoughts of later becoming a principal and i've have people tell me I would make a great principal but I haven't thought to hard on that one. I have always been a person that likes to fight what isn't considered "normal" and it just so happens that what i'm trying to fight (fighting for more men to enter the elementary education) is something I would like to make a career out of. I would like for everyone at the school I get my first job at to be excited that i'm there, however I don't always want to be known as the "male elementary teacher." I want to be a "teacher." I would like to give props to the male elementary teachers, the male nurses, the women engineers, and any of opposite sex in a professional that society says isn't normal for us, thank you for following your dreams!

MnToCa

I am a male teacher
Old 01-13-2016, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I teach 4th grade. At my school we have males in 1st, 4,5,6 and last year there was a K male teacher.
MnToCa is offline   Reply With Quote

DolphinBeach

Married to one!
Old 01-13-2016, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

My husband and I are both elementary school teachers. We met when I did my student teaching at his school (). We were in completely different grades and different wings of the building though so it wasn't a conflict of interest.

Needless to say, I am very partial to male elementary school teachers!
DolphinBeach is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

23 years
Old 01-14-2016, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I am a male and have this is my 23rd year teaching in an elementary school. Like DolphinBeach my wife and I both teach in ES. My school currently has males in 3rd, 4th and 5th. I've never experienced any issues with parents at my school.

When it's time to apply and interview for positions you'll be golden.
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

teachingtall

Old 01-15-2016, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

As a male teacher, my favorite grade levels are the younger kids. Working with the population I work with now, K-4 SpEd Emotional Disabilities, is beyond fun. My kids have their own unique needs, but they are still kids, I don't have to worry much about what my counterparts deal with the older kids in ED programs. I also think the kiddos parents are much more involved with the younger kids.

I started working with 4-6 Resource kiddos, and they were fun as well. The most interesting class to be a part of was with my 5th graders and their Family Life/Sex Ed lessons. The boys felt much more comfortable asking a guy questions about their bodies then they did the female teachers. Plus it was funny to watch them be all grossed out by the convos, brought me back to be an awkward 10 year old.
teachingtall is offline   Reply With Quote

beagles2

You are welcome here!
Old 01-18-2016, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Yes, yes, yes!

You are welcome here.

One of the best teachers I've ever met was a male who taught 1st grade. It was such a positive experience for his kids. He was an awesome teacher.

One of my best friends currently teaches 3rd after many years teaching 1st. His students adore him.

I think it's fantastic! Best of luck to you.
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Men
Old 01-23-2016, 11:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I don't think your gender matters. My opinion is that men and women both can be good role models.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 01-24-2016, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I wish we had more men! My DH has taught 7-12 grade English. He would make such a fabulous elementary teacher. I keep trying to talk him into taking the 4-8 generalist test here in Texas. He would love tracing and ELA/Social Studies block in 5th or 6th grade.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mrteacher2012

I agree
Old 01-24-2016, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

My opinion is also that men and women could both be great role models.

britt00110011

I've noticed there are more male teachers
Old 01-26-2016, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

in the lower grades in recent years. I think it is awesome that more men are becoming elementary educators. The children do respond to men differently most of the time.

A few years ago my church did a campaign to get more men to sign up for children's ministry. That year I had 2 men sign up to help with the kindergarten class I work in. Since then one of them has moved to being the main teacher in Pre-k. The kids love them and having them helping out helps me to loosen up and remember to have fun with kids. I also work in an after school program. At our campus we have 3 men. The kids love them and do respond them differently than they do us sometimes. I highly recommend that if you enjoy working with children you should become an elementary teacher!
britt00110011 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrteacher2012

After school
Old 01-27-2016, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I work in an after school program also and I enjoy so much! We also have 3 guys!

NavyBrat

Old 01-27-2016, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Some of the best teachers I ever had in all my schooling were male. I think it is awesome that you want to become an elementary school teacher because not many men can handle little children all day and like you said, it give the boys someone to look up to. Also, as a woman, a man who is good with children automatically becomes more attractive (and if you can sing, you are basically a walking chick magnet ). But aside from dating, I support you!
NavyBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
rockoguy
Old 02-04-2016, 10:16 AM
This message has been deleted by rockoguy.

MrsWok

Old 02-09-2016, 01:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

We have 3 male classroom teachers in our school - prek, third, and fifth. They are the most requested teachers in the school! I think it's great depending on the person of course. Just being a male teacher doesn't get you any more respect than being a female teacher but some kids can really benefit from having a positive male role model in their life (and it's not just boys that benefit from it!)
MrsWok is offline   Reply With Quote

always_teach

Male Teachers
Old 02-22-2016, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

During my time in elementary school, we only had two male teachers. One was the band instructor. The other was a fourth grade teacher. I enjoyed having a male teacher. It was a different atmosphere. Looking back, most of my male teachers were in middle school and high school. I think having a male teacher in lower grades can be positive for students of both gender!
always_teach is offline   Reply With Quote

premar88

you will do great
Old 02-22-2016, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

My mentor teacher is a man and he is a great teacher
premar88 is offline   Reply With Quote