I am sick, should I call in for the second day in a row? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

New Teachers

I am sick, should I call in for the second day in a row?

>

MnToCa

I am sick, should I call in for the second day in a row?
Old 01-13-2016, 08:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Today I called in for a sub and took a sick day. Now it is 8:30pm and I'm still feeling sick, even worse than last night. I am a 2nd year teacher who already knows will not get tenured next year, so I worry that if I call in sick it will look like I'm being lazy.

Will it look bad if I take another day off?

MnToCa is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 01-14-2016, 03:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you are too sick to teach, you should definitely call in. Who cares what others think?

Have you been to the dr? Perhaps you should go, just in case it is treatable with antibiotics.

If your district has a policy requiring a dr's note for longer absences, you will easily be able to get one then.

When I was about to retire, I took a sick day (I had 125 sick days accumulated! So you know...I never was out sick. Someone started a rumor that I was going to be out a lot to use up my sick days before I retired! Who cares? They were being snarky, and they were wrong! I was irritated, but oh well...in the end, that person just looked like the gossip they are.
lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

knit1purl2

Be true to yourself
Old 01-14-2016, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Your actions, calling in a sub or not, reflect how you are treating yourself. You always choose what is best for you and your body and mind. Never spend time worrying about what others say about you. Negative rumors build and spread like wildfire. At my school, people talk if someone is out sick then they talk because that person came back too soon and was spreading germs. You can't win the rumor game, so don't play. Be true to yourself. CYA and keep in contact with the administration. I would go to the doctor for supporting evidence.
knit1purl2 is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 01-26-2016, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was sick yesterday and powered through and boy did I regret it. An hour into school I ended up with chills and couldn't teach. Take another day if you need it.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote