Help

New Teachers

How do I get students excited??

>

mmccarthy2

How do I get students excited??
Old 02-16-2016, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a current college student and I think one of the things I am most nervous about in having my own classroom is keeping the students engaged. What are the best ways to get students excited about a traditionally "boring" lesson? What are some ways to grab their attention?

mmccarthy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

uoducks

There is no secret answer,
Old 02-16-2016, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

But...play lots of different types of music to create mood/atmosphere (high energy or calm), sign up with gonoodle and figure out the right videos for the right moments, lose your ego and be a little bit insane, grow a thick alligator skin, develop a strong management plan (read tools for teachers by Jones), bookmark lots of fun youtube videos for brain breaks, and find a mentor teacher. Be high energy and fun, but also mean business when it comes to management. You're not there to entertain or be friends.
The real truth is that some kids and adults are uningaged people. I teach 5th grade and am an adjunct for grad students. I have highly engaged students in both and a few who are uncoachable in both.

Your job is to provide the tools and create the best atmosphere. You'll have engagement from 70%. Have realistic expectations.
Good luck!
uoducks is offline   Reply With Quote

dubby

Old 02-16-2016, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The best way to engage your student in any lesson is to have an obtainable predictable learning outcome (objective) with a predictable way to deliver it (structure).

Maybe you meant is "how do I hook a student during the introduction of a lesson?"
You can do that by getting to know them and their interests. Once you do, linking their learning to what interest them is pretty easy. Also for some strange reason, students are always fascinated with teacher's telling stories.
dubby is offline   Reply With Quote

beyourowndog

Old 02-17-2016, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
You're not there to entertain or be friends.
This ^^^^ :-)

Get it out of your head that "engagement" means the same thing as "entertainment." I tell people that as a teacher I can often be entertaining, but I am by no means an entertainer. That is not my job.

I teach with the philosophy of, the person doing the doing is the person doing the learning. Engage your students by making them "do." Write, speak, draw, look, respond, etc. In a high school setting, for me, yes you have to lecture. Just make sure the students are interacting with the material or with you frequently.
beyourowndog is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

In my years of teaching
Old 02-17-2016, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If you are knowledgeable and enthusiastic about your topic, you will engage most of your students. I agree with beyourowndog too.

mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Foundations

Ideas
Old 02-25-2016, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

- Try not to come across with the attitude that you feel the topic is "boring." If you express interest, that may pass on to the students.
- If something is tedious, have them work on it with partners or in groups.
- Add games!
- Add humor!
- Have them act out the content
Foundations is offline   Reply With Quote

mmccarthy2

Thank you!
Old 03-01-2016, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you all so much for your comments and suggestions
mmccarthy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Love the comment "Lose your ego"...
Old 03-08-2016, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

for me that is so true! I am willing to make a fool out of myself at times to grab students' attention. I teach 7th and we are getting bigger classes where kids have more cell phones. Students are permitted to "read" on the cells so we can't ban them. I don't have much control over my curriculum, so I have to engage within some very boring content. Here's what I do:

*play music
*use my sense of humor
*add some partner/group work
*act crazy (think speaking in weird accents, costumes, act things out)
*add video clips to class
*give out some group rewards (five minute party/homework passes, etc.)
At times, we will drop everything and read. This is hard when you have the same class five times at day, but at times, I might give them reading time when they are really unengaged.
*special projects
*call on kids using a random name generator, if you have the tech

It's hard to engage all kids all the time. I like to walk around the room. Sometimes I say, "Hmm, I'm going to call on the person who looks the most bored!" Basically, I will do anything to get their attention because they are masters at tuning us out.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

Apple1234

Student Engagement
Old 09-15-2016, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have found many things that help students stay engaged! One of which is the use of technology in the classroom. You could set-up games on the computer for your students to play or use websites like Kahoot which let you make up your own games or quizzes/surveys that your students can then answer using their own devices. Also, as a transition into the lesson, you could use music. For example, before one of your science lessons you could play part of the song "Weird Science" by Oingo Boingo. Students will then know what is going to happen next and be excited about it!
Apple1234 is offline   Reply With Quote