Help

New Teachers

advice on possible job lead

>

RookieTeach92

advice on possible job lead
Old 02-19-2016, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone! I received an email asking me to participate in a phone interview for a position I applied to. I became very excited but after doing some research online decided not to respond to the email since I stumbled across some horror stories. However, the school emailed me once again asking me for times I am available to interview. I'm becoming interested once again but would like to gather some opinions first.

Does anyone have experience working in/with a KIPP School?

All of my experience (college practicum/student teaching/one year of teaching HS) has been in public schools. I know they have an extended school day and say they compensate for it with their salary (which is definitely WAY higher than what a public school teacher in AZ makes). It would be a HUGE increase in pay from my current job so I guess I'm just looking to find out what the environment in these schools tends to be like.

RookieTeach92 is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Can't hurt
Old 02-19-2016, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Go ahead and schedule the interview.

We have a KIPP nearby I wouldn't work at in this stage of my life. If I was starting out, I probably would have.

If the $$ is that high, it may be worth it if you really and truly save that money. A good savings account can give you freedom of choice later.

Just because you interview doesn't mean you will be offered a job, or accept a job if offered.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

kerteach2

Interview
Old 02-19-2016, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

No experience with a KIPP school - however, the experience of the interview may prove to be valuable for you.
You may find that you love the school - they may not offer you a job - you may be able to turn down the job - all possibilities.

I also find that people tend to post their awful reviews or experiences on line more often than the better ones. I really like where I teach, but have never written a review about it.
Keep us posted - I would love to know what you end up doing about it
kerteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote