Help

New Teachers

Advice for a Newbie

>

SissyTeach317

Advice for a Newbie
Old 04-24-2016, 12:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am currently a second year teacher at a newly opened charter school.

This year I have four different Science courses to prep for and next year that would me to teach six different courses. I have limited curriculum support and no other grade and subject level instructors to collaborate with.

I realize that as a new school there are growing pains, but I was curious if this was a typical experience and if it improves after a few years of operation.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

SissyTeach317 is offline   Reply With Quote

mauiwow

Advice
Old 04-27-2016, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

From what I hear, stay away from a charter school if possible. They will overwork you to the point of burnout. And 6 preps is a handful. Districts that really want you to perfect your craft will give you 1-2 preps. 4 is a handful already I bet. And with no curriculum support, you are on your own. Look for a school that has strong collaboration, you will appreciate it so much.

I have never been a charter school yet, but the people I know who taught at a charter school tried to leave as soon as possible and got out when they could.

Best of luck to you!
mauiwow is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Six???
Old 04-28-2016, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That sounds impossible to me. I have two preps now and five classes. I also have a tutoring class. Really, at times that is too much and I've been doing it for years. I also have two scripted curriculums! That means that everything is done. (However, I feel like I have change a lot of things because I don't really care for either curriculum.) I spend most of my time making copies of all of it.

I also have co-workers who teach the same subjects. We can share projects and ideas for changing things.

I can't imagine teaching six preps with no materials or coworkers to help! I don't know what they are thinking!
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote