Help

Second Grade

How do you spice up guided reading?

>

woobie5

How do you spice up guided reading?
Old 12-14-2011, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I hate guided reading groups. They are so boring!!! Any suggestions on how to spice them up?

woobie5 is offline   Reply With Quote

txmagistra

Have no ideas...
Old 12-14-2011, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

but have the same question. It is the least favorite part of my day!
txmagistra is offline   Reply With Quote

shopperc

Agree!
Old 12-14-2011, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Guided reading is SO boring.
shopperc is offline   Reply With Quote

LuBelle

Old 12-14-2011, 09:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

REally? I find guided reading groups fun and exciting! Don't follow a script! Follow your heart and the needs of your group!
LuBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

woobie5

Old 12-15-2011, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

So Luebelle what do you do? Maybe I do it wrong.

woobie5 is offline   Reply With Quote

usechalk

Old 12-15-2011, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think I have morphed my guided reading into development of critical thinking. We do the reading for the day, but I focus on asking questions and letting the kids answer. As Lubelle alluded too, the kids direct the discussion through their answere and possible questions. I try to have them place themselves in other people's shoes. I want them to begin to understand perception and persepective. The sooner I can get them to gain some kind of understanding about people, the better I can help them understand why we do certain things. This also helps when dealing with behavioral issues.
After reading what I wrote, I do not think I answered the question. However, this is what our guided reading time looks like.
usechalk is offline   Reply With Quote

txmagistra

usechalk...
Old 12-15-2011, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

that did help me even though this isn't my thread! I think I will try that after the break. "What would you do if you were this character?"
txmagistra is offline   Reply With Quote

rissable

Guided Reading Excitement
Old 12-17-2011, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Although I do not think GR is exciting, I do agree with a previous poster who suggests listening to the children and responding to their needs that we can discover in the small group. I think it's a good way to really gain an understanding to your kids' thinking and to see where they need further instruction. I don't follow a script but I do focus on the things we are learning in our classroom in these guided reading groups. I look at them as a necessary part of my classroom but one that I wouldn't necessarily choose if I had the freedom to do so.
rissable is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

I've heard it called "Spray and Pray"
Old 12-17-2011, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

No matter how small my GR groups are, finding a book that all (or even both) of them connect with usually doesn't happen. I end up doing one-on-one guided reading while I conference, and I LOVE it! I bring a book one level up from our classroom library that I know they will enjoy, work on skills using that one, and then it goes into their bag of books. I find that transitions them to the next level a bit faster. I also do strategy groups where I teach them a skill and they use their own books to practice. But regular traditional GR where I give them all the same book- I agree- BORING!!!!
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

leopard

More than guided reading
Old 12-17-2011, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My kids can't wait to come to my guided reading table because we do more than just read leveled books. We do picture sorts and use magnetic letters and dry erase boards to make and write high frequency words. I recommend reading "The Next Step in Guided Reading" by Jan Richardson. She offers some great ideas that will definitely "spice" up your guided reading.

leopard is offline   Reply With Quote

teri38

literature circles
Old 12-18-2011, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My guided groups love doing lit. circles, also we do reader's theater and partner fluency poems.
teri38 is offline   Reply With Quote

ilovedisney

Book Talks
Old 12-20-2011, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I LOVE our book room at our school. We have tons of books on all levels that students love. Before the book room I ordered books from Scholastic (in case you don't have a book room). I use them to review the skill of the week. Students love to tie their experiences with the book to their own lives. Some even connect the book with other books they've read. It's actually my FAVORITE part of the day because I get to reach each child daily on their level using books they love. I am now introducing many of them to their first chapter books. Many of them ask for other books in the same series.
ilovedisney is offline   Reply With Quote

ilovedisney

Reader's Theater
Old 12-20-2011, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Did I mention Reader's Theater? LOVE IT! They work on comprehension and fluency at the same time. It's fun to film them when they are done, too.
ilovedisney is offline   Reply With Quote

smartgal33

I mix it up
Old 12-29-2011, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I keep things interesting by rotating tasks. I don't do each every time but rather as a weekly focus.
Vocabulary games, nonfiction focus, research a simple topic together, make step and flip booklets, dictionary scramble ( kids find new words with speed and interesting definitions) and of course Reader's Rheater is always a huge hit. We even invite parents, administration and the younger grades.
smartgal33 is offline   Reply With Quote

DrivingPigeon

Cafe
Old 01-01-2012, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Each one of my guided reading groups focuses on a specific CAFE strategy. I honestly don't plan too much in advance. When they come to groups, we review the strategy, read the book and apply the strategy, and I assign their reading for the next day. Once and a while we'll do some word work activities (more often with my lower groups). Sometimes I will assign a graphic organizer to go with their reading, but I usually just send home information on how parents can help their child practice the strategies at home.

I like guided reading, because it's more of a book group. The students guide the discussion, which is why I don't plan too much in advance-I never know where they will take me!
DrivingPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote