Reports cards looming...

>

connieg

Reports cards looming...
Old 10-13-2007, 04:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone,

It is report card time. Here are some questions:

1. How do you handle the issue of teachers in the former grades not being accurate/honest/candid in behavior and work skills? I mean some of these kiddos have a major diagnosis of severe ADHD, ODD, Bipolar, etc and you would think they were like everyone else if you saw last year's report card! Here is my bottom line question: Is it REALLY worth it to be honest and have to defend the accurate grades of these kids who are like volcanoes in the classroom? How can I say they respect their peers if they scream at them for every little thing? How accurate is it to say they are "progressing"? I'm always the "do the right thing" person, but why should I be the first to be honest? It is obviously so much easier to just turn your head and count the days with Susie. I've mentioned the issue to the administration, but their "one sentence reminder to not give parents surprises" can be taken both ways. Am I giving the parents a surprise with accurate grades or is he talking to the person who gives undeserved high grades? I am now wondering. Is the goal to keep parents happy so that they vote for school levies?

2. Do you use a percentage for meeting a measurable standard? I think it should be about 80% minimum, but my peers say 70%.

Connie

connieg is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.H

behavior report cards
Old 10-13-2007, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm tactfully honest on report cards. I also make sure that they are not surprised by sensitive information. If the child screams at other children a lot, I have already brought this up with parents. We have a section for social/emotional behavior grades. Since we use a rubric that parents receive, it is easy to give a lower grade because it is explained in the rubric. (It's easier for me to choose a grade and know that I can defend it because of the description.)

I think of the report card as documentation for the next teacher. Parents already know this stuff, but sometimes it helps to have it on a report card so they know it is a real issue. When issues are resolved, I also state this on report card comments.

Not sure about your measurable standard. If my district wants something like that, they are clear about 70% or 80%.
Mrs.H is offline   Reply With Quote

Toni

Report cards next month
Old 10-13-2007, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Connie, I face the same issues that you face. I always have students whose previous teachers marked everything satisfactory even though you can look in the cume and see that the assessment scores are sooooo loooow! That isn't satisfactory. That's failing! It's so hard to follow that. Some teachers will write anything just to keep the parents off their back.

I try to be honest, but in a calm, kind way. Saying a child is doing well year after year when they aren't is doing them a disservice. Eventually their lack of skills will hurt them. I don't want that for any of my students.

We consider 70% too low for proficient. 85% is proficient. We think about going to a brain surgeon. We hope he knows more than 70% about operating on us!

Hang in there!
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote

MaddieC

Old 10-13-2007, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

As part of our assessment/reporting routine, we send home an interim report during the 5th week of a 9 week reporting period. If your school does not follow a similar program, I would implement it for my own class.

In addition, I am writing notes to parents constantly. If the child does an extraordinary job, I write. If they have been a little !#$% I send a note about that, too. There are no surprises.

Having been on the receiving end of the kind of situation you describe, I know how difficult it is to be the first one to tell parents the truth. I still think it is my responsibility to be honest. I also developed an "Oh well!" attitude. I have been known to share with previous teachers the extraordinary changes that have occurred in the "regular" students that they sent me. Believe me they get the message.

Stay strong,

Maddie
MaddieC is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

report cards
Old 10-13-2007, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't know how your report cards are set up, but ours is standards based in addition to a letter grade. We give percentage grades on everything. When you average them up, they don't lie. The grade is what it is. That said, I also make sure the report card is not the first time the parent is hearing that there are concerns. Any time a student scores 60% or below, I stamp the paper with a "sign and return" stamp. If I don't get the papers back, I am on the phone to discuss my concerns. You are not doing these children a favor by sweeping their issues under the rug. There may be programs available to help them, but you will never know until you are completely honest with the parents.

readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

KarinT

No surprises
Old 10-13-2007, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

means you've talk, sent a note to the parents before report card time...right? Not what the previous teacher did. You onlyhave control over what you do.

I had a little darling last year that gave me a run for the money. She had trouble in pre-k and kdg. Both teachers were the blame for the problems according to the parents. The first grade teacher "ignored" the issues, confirming to the parents that the trouble was with the other teachers. Then she's in my class and all of a sudden I'm the one with the problems (again)...not the child. I started documenting, taking the situation to our school's RTI (Response To Intervention) team and meeting with the parents. At the end of the year the parents told the Superintendent of our district that I was being too "picky" and I had it out for the child. And their reasoning was that the first grade teacher didn't have a problem with their sweet thing! But, because of the documentation and the things I had done to cover my a**, nothing became of it. Anyway, the child is now in third grade and was having trouble from the first day. While waiting in line to go to PE she took her bra off and started swinging it over her head. Mom was in for a conference the second week of school. We at least started the documentation trail last year so that she will be able to be evaluated by the school psychologist before Halloween!

Do the right thing and document, talk to your buildings team (if you have one) and communicate with the parents. You'll at least be able to say you did the best thing for the child.
KarinT is offline   Reply With Quote

MaddieC

Old 10-13-2007, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Good advice, KarinT. It is a shame no one had a camera.

Maddie
MaddieC is offline   Reply With Quote

popcorn

Document, document, document
Old 10-14-2007, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

As other posters have stated, documentation is key. Certainly, the report card is not the place for any surprises. Parent/conferences, notes, emails, phone calls, etc. should be written up. At our school, a copy of these are turned into the administrator in charge of students at each level(primary/intermediate). It is true, you are at a disadvantage by the actions of those teachers before you. Perhaps a school-wide conversation needs to be held to clarify the beliefs/rationale/policy of the school. Most importantly, the active stance of reporting and discussing results in getting the support for the students' needs. If the focus is always on helping the students, the school's doing the honorable thing. As for percentages, I've never really thought of student behavior, social-emotional issues, and medical concerns in relation to percentages - just that students are not feeling nor acting in way to access the learning opportunities for themselves or allowing that to happen for others.
popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 10-14-2007, 07:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I make sure there are no surprises for parents when report cards go home. If there has been an issue with behavior, the parents know about it before the report card goes home.

Also make sure you keep documentation, work samples, etc. That way you have proof to back up what you've given them as grades on their report cards. I make sure and touch base with all parents before conferences and report cards-positive contact too.

I find that if a child is having difficulties (with behavior or getting along with peers) their parents have seen that too. It usually isn't a surprise.

I grade honestly. Sometimes I feel that teachers have different expectations. I may have higher expectations and last year's teacher may have lower expectations, so that can make a difference when it comes to grading too.
AD is offline   Reply With Quote