Special Education

Working with paras

>

SG512

SG512

Working with paras
Old 05-16-2020, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey everyone. I need some advice... Iím a new teacher, started last year. Iím also young, early 20s and have assigned quite a bit of paraprofessionals in my room. Iíve had quite a bit of problems with them. I donít feel respected, bad attitudes, lots of drama and stress. I felt more respected when I did my student teaching with middle schoolers. The number one thing I hate is that I always feel pushed to the side in my own classroom just because theyíve been working there longer than me. The only reason I havenít given up on myself is because I love my students but I just donít know how much longer I can keep working in an environment like that. And teachers before me have had the same problems with them so itís nothing new. They have been rude to substitutes and other paras from the school they have sent to help us. When I think about wanting to move somewhere else, I feel bad because I donít want to leave my kids and let the parents down. But then I have to go through constant stress and headaches with them and it hasnít been good for my health either. I know Iíve done a good job, my boss and other colleagues have told me what a difference I have made. I just donít know what to do.. stay because my heart is with my students or move because the constant stress I go through with the adults is not worth it on my health.

ChessandCheck

just thoughts
Old 05-18-2020, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

i am not a professional teacher, just-a-sub. one of the interesting things about my position is i sort of get to peer into all the windows and be a fly on the wall to all the conversations. i get snippets of everyone's conversations.

my impression is that drama and immaturity with paras is not uncommon, and honestly, some people just suck. that said...

i think paras often feel like they don't get much respect. i have great respect for a few i have worked with several times, and they have said to me, she never asks us anything. i have also heard them say to each other, regarding admin/sped dept/district, i wonder why they don't ask our opinion?

so you are a professional educator, but they aren't without valuable opinions and experience, especially if they have been there a long time. would it be helpful if you were able to enlist them in some way, ask for their input or feedback? they are with your kids every day too, and may have some valuable insight.

might they feel you are issuing orders but not looking to them as cooperative adults in the room? i mean, at the end of the day, it's your room, your decisions and your neck on the line - i get that. but i think paras sometimes feel they are disregarded even more than subs.

this stuff may not apply to your situation at all, but i thought i would mention it.
ChessandCheck is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Trouble with paras
Old 05-19-2020, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Being a new young teacher in the room with seasoned paras is so hard!! My best advice to you is to have a meeting with all of the adults (no kids present), bring some coffee or treats and talk to them about what will be happening in the room and what their role is. You will need to set up a schedule so the paras have very little down time. That is the hardest part. Tell them you want them to work in their strength areas so ask where they feel comfortable. If you get their input and try to validate as much of it as you can, I think you will have a better relationship with them.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote
SPatek

SPatek

Paras
Old 06-12-2020, 08:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Here is some advice that I think will help you out. Try having a staff meeting when students are not present. This can be inside or outside of school depending on everyone's schedule. Go into the meeting with a open mind and let them know that they are needed and appreciated. Also go over the rules and expectations with your staff. During this meeting, this might give you the opportunity to learn more about your paras.