Is any sub working in California right now? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Is any sub working in California right now?

>

longtimesub

Is any sub working in California right now?
Old 12-01-2020, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

There are forum members who work in California...Are you working at this time as a sub teacher? Actually working in schools? Not doing online learning?

I read posts by members who are working at this time in schools...I am glad to read that some people are working...I think they are in other states, not in California...

I am wondering if there would be any substitute work, in California, for the rest of the school year...I am not so sure at this time...

Last edited by longtimesub; 12-01-2020 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: More information.
longtimesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 12-01-2020, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I work in CA. There isnít really much of anything available, we are supposed be be hybrid in January but I donít see that happening either. Iím done for the rest of the year and maybe forever. I have been hired by a couple whose 2 kiddos are falling behind so Iíll do that for as long as they want me to. Iím going to help fill in the gaps and do some fun holiday arts and crafts with them a few times a week. Thatís all Iíve got.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

Old 12-01-2020, 09:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think most public schools face to face are closed in California.
KetchupChips is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Occasional jobs
Old 12-01-2020, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

A few jobs are popping up, I think some of my schools are hybrid, but since I don’t have online technology skills, I have not been working this year. I’m not sure what’s going to happen after January? Being older, not being able to do a two hour+ stretch without being able to run to the restroom and not having technology skills may keep me out for at least the rest of this year. Prior to the pandemic I planned on working another 10 years as a sub, but unless things go back to the way they were, sadly, I’m not sure that will be possible.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 12-01-2020, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm working in California since we went hybrid. The computers aren't as bad as I thought, once someone shows you what to do.

Unless you were already hybrid, I don't think you can open since we're all in purple.

bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

longtimesub

Do they call you?
Old 12-01-2020, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm working in California since we went hybrid. The computers aren't as bad as I thought, once someone shows you what to do.
_______________________________ _______

Did the sub desk call you? Or did you go online on Aesop?

longtimesub

I am not sure.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I work in CA. There isnít really much of anything available, we are supposed be be hybrid in January but I donít see that happening either. Iím done for the rest of the year and maybe forever.

_______________________________ _____

I share your skepticism...I am not sure if any school will be allowed to open in CA in January...

I don't think I should count on that happening...
I do need money for living expenses...I need to find some job...

luv2teach2017

Zoom subbing only
Old 12-01-2020, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Districts in my area have been distance learning only. They're planning to open schools in January, but like many of you, I don't think that will happen.

I've distance learning subbed on Zoom a fair amount since September, half days only. I think a lot of subs have given up either because they don't want to sub via distance learning or they've found other work with more hours. Sub jobs have slowed down to a trickle lately (due to the holiday season kicking in), so I've had to fall back on UI again.

I've actually enjoyed the distance learning experience. It has its downside, but overall, I've learned a new set of skills, and the teachers and school staffs have been very appreciative. There's definitely a learning curve, and it helps to be tech savy, but if you have a chance, I think it's worth diving in and giving it a try.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 12-01-2020, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Sorry. I should have said the secretary calls me. Sometimes a job goes through aesop, but it's always the new teachers.

Sirsubalot

Old 12-01-2020, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

So far this year, I have worked 20 out of the 76 days available.

Today was my first day at my largest district, and my first experience with zoom.

It took me a while to feel comfortable enough to start taking jobs, but I would estimate that if I took a job every day one was offered, I would probably have worked from about 35-40 days, or about half the time.
All jobs are online, although I have seen as many as 30 students on campus at middle schools on some days for various reasons.

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Submarine24

Gov's New Order
Old 12-02-2020, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Nobody knows what is going on per Newsom's new lockdown order and they don't communicate with us anyway. Why should they? We have no union. We are risking our lives every day we are in a school. We make poverty wages. We are the disposables...
Submarine24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 12-02-2020, 08:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I am in CA. There are some jobs. My small district recently went hybrid for K-2 only. My large district has no plans to. Today was my 1st day on-line subbing. It was a high school class. The IT guy spent 40 min. before school setting me up because the teacher did not set up for easy access. He was nice enough to send me the plans the day before, though. I hope each time I go in to learn a little more. But no one is training us; I'm gathering info as I go. I'm simply hoping to work a bit next semester as I've been going out of my head with boredom these past 9 months!!!
Sublime is online now   Reply With Quote

northcalsub

Old 12-02-2020, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

It is really is sink or swim for us guest teachers, right, each time I go online to teach, I learn more. What I have learned is there are programs that need access for the lesson,I then have to pivot, since I have no access. I always let the teachers know, and they totally are understanding about it.
northcalsub is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 12-03-2020, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I think that the subs at my school have it easier because we are using google meets. I've had almost no problems with it.

Wahala

Old 12-04-2020, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I am in California. So far this school year, I have not gotten any assignments - AESOP is disabled by district. My district is currently hybrid, but no contact whatsoever with substitutes. Strange thing - the district has openings on Edjoin for Subs, and offering a higher pay.
At this rate, not sure what is going on.
Wahala is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Maybeó
Old 12-04-2020, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

One of my school districts had a zoom in-service with us back at the beginning of the school year and they told us that they had already selected a sub pool of about 35 subs based on those who were interested in being a long-term sub and that they had disabled front line/Aesop and would re-establish that after the first of the year. Now, that being said, California is constantly changing, so I really donít think that will happen. I think this school year is pretty much very limited for many of us subs for a variety of reasons.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

longtimesub

Strange...
Old 12-07-2020, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

My district is currently hybrid, but no contact whatsoever with substitutes. Strange thing - the district has openings on Edjoin for Subs, and offering a higher pay.

_______________________________ _______________

Have you tried to call the sub desk and ask what is going on?

I am assuming that you are still on their sub list...

Trying to hire more subs? How about people already on the list?

longtimesub

Who knows?
Old 12-07-2020, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Now, that being said, California is constantly changing, so I really donít think that will happen. I think this school year is pretty much very limited for many of us subs for a variety of reasons.

_______________________________ _________________

I don't know what the CA situation will be like one month from now...
I am not very optimistic about getting any sub work this school year...

Sirsubalot

Old 12-09-2020, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I just learned today that depending on what the federal government does, I might be working for nothing except to relieve boredom.

I have about $2500 left on my 13 week extention claim, but I thought that if I worked, I was still entitled to this money until it was gone. I thought if I don't get it now as a result of working some days, I would get it later.

I was wrong. This remaining money might just disappear after December 26. This means that for each day I work, I am merely getting paid by the district instead of EDD, so I am gaining nothing by working any of the remaining seven days until December 26.

I spent an hour and 45 minutes this morning on hold waiting to speak to a claims rep to report my sick pay, which is when the claim rep explained this to me.

Beginning January 4, I will need to grab every job I can, at least until I can file a new claim on March 14.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

districts switching to sub contractors
Old 12-11-2020, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Quote:
I am in California. So far this school year, I have not gotten any assignments - AESOP is disabled by district. My district is currently hybrid, but no contact whatsoever with substitutes.
Maybe they are transitioning to outsourcing their subs?

I know of one CA district that is quietly positioning to do that next year, without alerting their in-house subs about the change. The outsourced subs will be independent contractors, and paid much less than the in-house subs have been paid (on top of that, they have to pay their own social security taxes and aren't eligible for unemployment insurance). Wow. This on top of the pandemic...bad is just getting worse!

You know the districts have been saving a truck load of money since schools and district offices have been closed and teachers and staff have been working from home! But since CA voters recently gave the green light to outsourcers who exploit independent contractors, this is going to be the new normal. Sad to say.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 12-11-2020, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I bet they end up regretting that decision.

happygal

More than
Old 12-11-2020, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I want. Aesop calls, people call n text. In person teaching, A/B rosters so classroom half full. Kids are good.

I was going to quit work until vaccination but am sympathetic when the need is great. I live in a low transmission area, rural.

Many days jobs go unfilled.
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote