Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Is this normal?

>

bookgeek59

Is this normal?
Old 01-03-2021, 02:36 PM

I have a teammate who is pregnant with her first child. I just got a Facebook invite to a virtual baby shower. That is fine, but the teammate and her mother are hosting it. I was always under the impression that the parent(s)-to-be or their parent(s) shouldn't sponsor the shower. That it's usually a sibling or best friend who hosts. Am I wrong? Is this a new normal?

Here's some info that may or may not influence your input:
-teammate is in her mid 20s
-she miscarried 2 years ago-this is a rainbow baby and a high risk pregnancy
-she has her MIL and FIL here in town, but everyone else is about 2 hours away
-she sent out about 110 FB invites
-she posted her registry on her Facebook page as well as in the invite
-according to the invite, we will be watching her open gifts and play shower games

bookgeek59 is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

I have no idea
Old 01-03-2021, 02:48 PM

but I that seems like trolling for gifts to me. You don't host a shower for yourself. I'd probably take a pass on that one.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 01-03-2021, 02:50 PM

I think I have seen a mother hosting showers for her daughter before. They probably should not say that the woman the shower is for is also a host though.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Things change
Old 01-03-2021, 02:52 PM

When I was getting married and having babies, the rule was that no family members could give showers. It had to be friends. And there was only a shower for the first baby. But to my way of thinking, who says ďthey have to make the rules. I think people should do what works for them when it comes to etiquette. If thereís a need, people can make up their own minds if they want to contribute.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Old 01-03-2021, 02:55 PM

Virtual showers seem like gift grabs, but I donít think itís that unusual for a family member to host.

Englishish is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-03-2021, 02:58 PM

I'm with Linda. I think much of the etiquette has changed over time. I think if a person can throw themselves a house-warming party, they can throw themselves a shower. The invitees can decide whether they think it's cool to go. Some people don't have a lot of support or friends who would think (or course afford, in some cases) to throw a friend a party.

110 FB invites is intense, and that wouldn't happen for an in-person party (I wouldn't think). I hope your teammate is able to carry this baby to term.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

canteach

It seems tacky to me, but I know times change
Old 01-03-2021, 03:01 PM

When I was getting married, usually the bridesmaids or rarely the beloved aunt or possibly cousins could give a shower for the bride if the guests were mostly going to be family members or very close friends. However, it seems that by the time I was ready to retire it was anything goes with regard to most traditions. If anyone is offended by the concept of a mom giving a shower for a daughter then she/he need not attend the shower.
canteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-03-2021, 03:01 PM

Not everyone has a sibling or a best friend. I wouldn't be judging her situation or if she "gets" to have a shower or not. I'm an only child and the closest person I have to any sort of "best friend" relationship lives across the country. In your scenario I wouldn't have anyone to host for me.

In the schools I've worked in, teammates host a work shower for the pregnant person, so I would think you should be doing something as her teammate for her at school. I understand if that's just not done at your school. It just seems odd to me because that's how it's worked in all of my schools.

All showers are "gift grabs" IMO, no matter the set up or who hosts. That's just the general purpose of a shower. I can't see labeling one a "gift grab" and not the other based on who is hosting.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Old 01-03-2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:
All showers are "gift grabs" IMO, no matter the set up or who hosts. That's just the general purpose of a shower. I can't see labeling one a "gift grab" and not the other based on who is hosting.
I donít think itís a matter of whoís hosting that pushes it into gift grab territory. I think itís the whole virtual party part that does that. I get thatís the only option in some places, but a traditional shower involves refreshments of some sort for your guests, games, a chance to socialize. I guess I see a traditional shower as offering something to attendees who are doing the gifting.
Englishish is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

So much around weddings and showers
Old 01-03-2021, 03:06 PM

drives me crazy. I cannot believe the way rules have been thrown out the window, but you'd think I'd get used to it, as it's been going on for fifty years, anyway.

No, it is not proper for any relative of the bride to host a shower. Even given all the details you provided, it's still poor form, IMO. And the mother-to-be as a co-host is pretty unbelievable and looks pretty grabby.

But people do tacky stuff all the time:

They hand deliver invitations and thank you notes instead of mailing them.

Or they don't write thank you notes.

They tack up a group wedding invitation on the bulletin board in the break room. Seriously.

Whatever. I hope her baby is healthy. I would send a gift, but I think I would skip the shower.

maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote

ASAM

Old 01-03-2021, 03:20 PM

I don't have a problem with the mom hosting but 110 people is a lot. I don't know if I know that many people.
ASAM is offline   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 01-03-2021, 03:26 PM

Quote:
They hand deliver invitations and thank you notes instead of mailing them.
This is tacky? I really had no idea.
MalloryJames is offline   Reply With Quote

maxwell

Shower
Old 01-03-2021, 03:29 PM

Showers changed during my tenure as a teacher. My grade level would go together and purchased a gift for showers thrown at school. When I was pg, I got one gift from the entire staff and cake and punch. Any excuse for sweets!

Last edited by maxwell; 01-03-2021 at 04:45 PM..
maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote

cemsnowy4

Old 01-03-2021, 03:45 PM

I donít think you would be inviting 110 people to a shower that was in person because it would be very expensive. Therefore, it sounds to me like theyíre just looking for gifts.
cemsnowy4 is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 01-03-2021, 03:50 PM

My teammate - Iím going to give a gift anyway so Iíd send a small gift. But, no way am I going to sit through the opening of that many gifts (even if half of those invited send gifts).
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 01-03-2021, 03:55 PM

I despise FB invites and refuse to attend or send gifts for anything I was invited to via FB. Itís absolutely tacky and sends the message Iím not important enough to make the effort to send a real invite (even if itís just an e-invite).

110 people screams of gift grabbing.

All of that would be a hard ďnoĒ from me. I have no patience with all of this gift grabbing nonsense.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Jasmine2010

Old 01-03-2021, 04:04 PM

Hosting your own baby shower seems to be somewhat of a trend. I have responded to two showers given by the mother of the babies in the last several years. And of course, neither sent thank you notes.
Jasmine2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

brooks56

Baby shower
Old 01-03-2021, 04:13 PM

Trends have certainly changed since my baby showers 30 years ago. Back then it was generally for the first baby only. My church had a big shower for me with cakes, punch, nuts, etc. We played games and passed every gift around with everyone oohing and awwing over them. My team mates also had a school baby shower and my friends had one. Don't remember one for the second one.

I think it is okay for family members like siblings, aunts, cousins to give the shower. Just my opinion, but I think it shouldn't be the mother herself, grandmother or MIL. Our DIL just had a small baby shower that was coed with mostly family members. My husband and other son complained about going to a shower, but ending up going and enjoyed it.

I think 110 invitees is ridiculous. I would send a gift, but not attend the virtual shower.
brooks56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Is there a school shower planned?
Old 01-03-2021, 04:25 PM

If there is, Iíd wait until that one to give your gift, and I would decline the online shower.

I was invited to a good friendís DDís online baby shower. They kept it cute and somewhat entertaining. I donít like showers, but I smiled the whole time. There were about 10 of is online and a few friends were there irl.

Prayers that the baby is healthy, with no complications. Thatís all that really matters.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 01-03-2021, 04:48 PM

Mom hosting wouldn't bother me, but the 110 people and fb invites would. Sounds like they want max # of gifts for minimal effort.

Sure, the purpose of a shower is to gift the honoree with things they will need in the months/years ahead, but that should be done by people who are close to that person and have an active role in their lives. I doubt 110 people are all that close to her.
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

Brooks56 and MalloryJames
Old 01-03-2021, 04:55 PM

The rationale behind mailing invitations and thank you notes was that if they thought it was important to give you a gift, the least you can do is spring for a stamp. For a wedding invitation, if you want me at your wedding, again, spring for a stamp. Guests have to buy you a gift and dress up and then actually go, so....if it comes in the mail it says, "I really want you to come," or "I sincerely thank you," but a hand-delivered note or invitation, or one left in a mailbox at work, is just sort of "Here you go."

But people break that rule all the time now so I guess that makes it not a rule anymore.

Yes, showers were traditionally only for first-time brides and first-time mothers. Although it is common to have showers for all your kids these days, and as many bridal showers as you have weddings, I generally let those pass by. (The rationale behind this was that if you've been married before, and if you've had a baby already, you should already have a lot of the stuff you need. You shouldn't need to be "showered" with gifts. Showers are to help newlyweds and first time parents get going).

That is also apparently no longer a rule.
maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Youthcantknow

Somewhat understandable
Old 01-03-2021, 05:23 PM

I think the fact that she's in her mid-20s is important. I hosted showers for my daughters because they were also in their 20s and their friends just couldn't afford any extra party. Even simple showers would have been a lot for them financially. In blue-collar areas people in their 20s don't make much money. Many of my daughters' friends didn't go to college.

With that said, though, I think inviting 110 people wasn't a good decision. If this was an in-person party I doubt that many would have been invited. Even online, she can't really appreciate each attendee and their gift. Posting her registry on her own FB page wasn't a good idea, either.

I'm sure she's excited for a new little one, especially a rainbow baby, so I hope people overlook the rest of it and celebrate with her.
Youthcantknow is online now   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 01-03-2021, 06:17 PM

I agree with 110 people being a gift grab. I have no problem with who is hosting but if you should only invite those who you would invite if it were in person.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 01-03-2021, 06:23 PM

I don't have too much of a problem with a virtual shower in a pandemic. But I'd just send a gift and not attend. I hate in person showers, too, though.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

LoveMyNature

Shower
Old 01-03-2021, 08:56 PM

Where I live, itdoesnít matter. I realize in some parts of the country tradition is very important, but no one I know follows any type of tradition for a shower.

Someone hosts and we all go over.
LoveMyNature is offline   Reply With Quote

PurplePeacock

Baby showers
Old 01-03-2021, 09:05 PM

Iím 40 and a single mom by choice. My mom and sister hosted my shower. It was an over the top, extravagant event very opposite of my personality, but absolutely lovely!! I would have been very happy to have ice tea and lemon cake in the backyard, but I was appreciative of the love and support.

As for the FB invite, as someone who has a business that involves FB invites, Iím willing to bet that the mama to be listed herself as hostess for ease of adding guests and so that others recognized the event as being hosted by someone they know.
PurplePeacock is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 01-03-2021, 10:16 PM

The virtual-ness doesn't bother me. The 110 people and gift registry? That's a little grabby.

Quote:
we will be watching her open gifts and play shower games
I can't imagine anything more dull. Maybe she's thinking--probably correctly--that not very many people will come to her shower.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

LoveMyNature

Shower
Old 01-03-2021, 11:24 PM

Who cares? Let her gift grab. Maybe things are financially difficult. We are in a pandemic and people have been struggling financially.

Give her all the gifts. Heck, give me her info. Iíll buy her what she needs.
LoveMyNature is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 01-04-2021, 12:36 AM

I know it used to be a thing that close family didnít host showers, but I donít have a problem with family hosting a shower if thatís the only shower or the mother/bride-to-be has multiple little showers with different friend circles.

Like a PP said, showers are little bit inherently gift grabby, but many many people do *enjoy* giving gifts as a form of celebration and having a shower is a well-established social custom, so who throws it is kind of irrelevant. Thereís no point in pretending, which is what not having family throw the shower was about.

So I think Mother of the Bride/Grandma-to-be could host a big shower for everyone or she could host a little shower for the grandmas and aunties and her close friends whoíve seen the daughter growing up,etc. while BFF hosts a little shower for the mom/bride-to-beís close friends.

Where I think it veers into gift grab territory is if the guest of honor asks someone to throw a shower for her or if the guest list consists of people she doesnít typically interact with regularly or have a strong connection to. I think a 110 person guest list is likely in that category.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Eccj

Old 01-04-2021, 12:59 AM

Who on earth needs 110 baby gifts? Wow!
Eccj is offline   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

maryteach
Old 01-04-2021, 05:59 AM

Quote:
The rationale behind mailing invitations and thank you notes was that if they thought it was important to give you a gift, the least you can do is spring for a stamp. For a wedding invitation, if you want me at your wedding, again, spring for a stamp. Guests have to buy you a gift and dress up and then actually go, so....if it comes in the mail it says, "I really want you to come," or "I sincerely thank you," but a hand-delivered note or invitation, or one left in a mailbox at work, is just sort of "Here you go."
maryteach, thank you for explaining. I guess, to me, sticking a stamp on and dropping it in the mail is easier than driving to your house to hand deliver it. In my mind, that indicates a higher desire to invite you.

Now I wonder if I offend people by dropping things off.
MalloryJames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

Ha!
Old 01-04-2021, 06:21 AM

Why are people so weird about this?

In 1988 I had a wedding shower. It was under my friend's name, but my mother and I did most of the grunt work.

In 2004, I had a baby shower. My sister sent the invites, but again I did most of the foot work.

Yes, I would have loved just to have shown up and be surprised. Life didn't give me that luxury.

So few people have a friend that will plough that much time and energy into a shower or have the money just to toss at it.

The only time I get stabby is the big blow out gender reveals/engagement parties my one side of the family has. Those are on top of the showers and gifts are expected. Lucky for me, I rarely see them. I send a congratulations card only. And heck, cards are like $5.00+ for a fancier one, plus stamp plus time time schlepping it to the post office. Maybe I should cut down the effort to text only. Lol...(I kid)
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

No Thank You
Old 01-04-2021, 09:21 AM

Nope. I would not participate in that one. This is a blatant gift grab. Just because you work with her doesn't mean you have to attend the shower.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote