Help

The VENT

Zoom Staff Meetings

>

cruxian

Zoom Staff Meetings
Old 01-11-2021, 05:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We're all virtual essentially (our district has a very small number of students in person, in my school of 1500 students we have maybe 10 or 20 students in person). I've heard several of my colleagues complain that students don't have cameras on during class and yet these same teachers don't have their cameras on in the staff meeting.
I understand there's all sorts of reasons not to have cameras on and (other than the fact that some students clearly walk away from their computers during class) it doesn't bother me. But at least act as you'd like the students to act.
Just my two cents.

cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Zoom
Old 01-11-2021, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In our Zoom staff meetings, I try to act as I would want my students to act. I raise my hand to speak and am ignored by my P. I try to sit and listen to my P the best I can.

But sometimes I need to turn off my camera so my reaction to the news being shared is not present for all to see. Iíve cried. I've gotten angry. Iíve been disappointed. Iíd like some privacy for these moments. During a meeting I would excuse myself from the room. In Zoom I turn off my camera.
arsabl is online now   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 01-11-2021, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Oh yeah, 100 percent understand and I feel similarly. We've had some emotional staff meetings. I totally understand that and I'm sure you'd understand the same from your students. I just get a touch annoyed that my colleagues aren't modeling what they'd expect from the kids. Minor vent lol.

kahluablast

Old 01-11-2021, 06:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

All of meetings this year have been like that. PDs where most have cameras and mikes off. No feedback during sessions because no one asks questions, makes comments or anything. They might have been videos for people to watch because the extremely limited discussion was very difficult to deal with. Afterwards I would have people come to me because they had questions but they didnít want to hold up the training. Umm, is that what you want happening in your classrooms?

It has been very frustrating.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Cameras
Old 01-11-2021, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don’t understand why cameras are an argument.
I can’t always have my camera on - my internet connection is unstable at best, as I live very rurally. I try to start classes with it on, but I often get kicked off. It is often a much better connection w/o the camera.
For our students, I think it is harder: They don’t all have good places to live, places they are proud to show on camera, or places that are quiet in the background, and many don’t face internet that is any better than mine.
All of these are reasons I never require cameras.

I have a colleague who will refuse to help students w/o cameras, because “I can’t tell if you’re confused if I can’t see your face.”

I have another colleague who includes 5 points to any assignment for camera. That means even if you do the assignments perfectly, you still can’t get an A+ if your camera is off.

I think there are bigger battles to deal with.
ETA: I was interrupted but was going to add -
It’s a shame that so many teachers are holding kids to stabsadss they are unwilling to live up to themselves.

Last edited by MissESL; 01-11-2021 at 04:15 PM..
MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 01-11-2021, 08:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

MissESL, I completely agree with you. I feel like there's bigger battles at least for me...and all sorts of reasons why they don't have their cameras/mikes on. My internet sometimes gets weird and I have decent internet and only two of us on it at any given time. I totally respect that. Also sometimes their home environment is chaotic so they turn it off because of that.
I genuinely don't fuss at the kids but I've got a number of colleagues who complain about it....and then the won't turn theirs on at meetings.

Ally

Old 01-11-2021, 09:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

While I understand a flaky internet connection, I do think if you are able, you should have your camera on during staff meetings. Ours started off with most cameras on, a few off...and since our principal hasn't said anything, each meeting there are more and more cameras off. So like a previous poster said, less and less interaction. I feel if we all keep our cameras off and no one is going to speak, then admin should just email us the information.

Don't get me wrong though...I am just talking about staff meetings, not student ZOOMs. If the meeting is not going to be interactive, email me.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote

JenInWV

Old 01-11-2021, 10:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I live in very rural West Virginia. We are always asked at the beginning of any online meeting (usually Teams) to turn off our cameras to conserve bandwidth. I envy all of you with internet service that is strong enough to support cameras!
JenInWV is online now   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Old 01-11-2021, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
I just get a touch annoyed that my colleagues aren't modeling what they'd expect from the kids.
I agree with this. However, I donít think it only started with distance & zoom. How many PDs or workshops have I been in where the participants (fellow educators) were talking during it, off-task, etc? IME more than once. I remember one workshop in particular that I was in where the presenter actually had to stop and ask/remind the people (in the front) to stop their own conversation because it was disruptive . They werenít from my school but I was embarrassed.
WordFountain is online now   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 01-11-2021, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
However, I donít think it only started with distance & zoom. How many PDs or workshops have I been in where the participants (fellow educators) were talking during it, off-task, etc?
Yep, "teachers are the worst students" is a cliche for a reason.

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Loveslabs

Eating
Old 01-11-2021, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Sometimes Iím eating so I turn the camera off. I really donít want to see myself chewing on the screen. I highly doubt my coworkers want to see me eating!

Also, sometimes after sitting all day I put my headphones on and walk laps around my house. I donít imagine people want to see me walking past the screen every 2 minutes.
Loveslabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 01-11-2021, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I agree that teachers should be modeling behavior they expect from others. Our staff has generally been good about cameras on and our P has been considerate in not requiring it. He said the district meetings he has to attend can last 3-4 hours and they are expected to have their cameras on at all times, which is crazy!

I have struggled with kids having their cameras off. Ultimately we struck a compromise: the camera can be off, but if I call your name, you have to answer. My biggest concern is that they log in, turn the camera off, and walk away. I can't teach you if you're not there.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Old 01-11-2021, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Teacher behavior at meetings in general can just be atrocious. There are very few instances where I've seen large groups of supposedly grown adults conduct themselves the way they expect their students to. It's maddening.
Englishish is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-11-2021, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I get what you're saying. Our school board pushed back the student start date for school by about 3.5 weeks this fall. They filled most of that time with PD. That's A LOT of PD, and a lot of it wasn't new to me. I was thrilled to be able to turn my camera off, mute, and work in my room while making sure to type in the chat every once in awhile.

Now that we're back on a "regular" schedule I do always turn my camera on just because it feels like the professional thing to do. I notice most other people are the same way- now that we're back to just one PD session/staff meeting at a time, participation is higher.

I do see that one of the zoom "unspoken norms" now seems to be that you don't eat with your camera on. I have to admit I don't really get it. What's different about seeing someone eat at an in person meeting vs. on camera? I do zoom meals with my parents sometimes and I don't think it's weird at all. But since everyone else makes such a big deal out of it, if I have to eat during a meeting now I turn my camera off too.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 01-11-2021, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I hear what you're saying - for me, this really depends on the time of day. Our sped team meetings are in the morning, and with 10 of us it's nice to have our cameras on and collaborate. On the other hand, staff meetings are from 4-5:30 PM and often large group (40ish) with information just being presented to us. I'm tired and don't want to think about what I look like to others. I put the presentation on one screen and turn the other off so I can just listen. If we're moved to small groups and asked to share/work together than I turn my camera back on.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-11-2021, 09:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

IME, teachers really can be the worst students (as several people have said). It predated zoom, but zoom sure didn't change it for the better.

Quote:
I do see that one of the zoom "unspoken norms" now seems to be that you don't eat with your camera on. I have to admit I don't really get it. What's different about seeing someone eat at an in person meeting vs. on camera?
I think the issue is that in a group meeting, you don't have to look in that direction and there are so many other things in your vision. On Zoom, pretty much just people's faces are in your visual field. So people eating becomes much more obvious- especially if you're in a small enough group that you can clearly see everyone in the group.

As long as no one is chewing with mouths open right in the camera, I'm totally fine with people eating. Most of the meetings I attend it doesn't seem to be a big issue.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote