Help

Substitute Teachers

Covid vaccine

>

sila

Covid vaccine
Old 01-11-2021, 11:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My two districts are so far not considering substitute teachers in the group of educators who are called for covid vaccine receiving now .

I contacted county govt and waiting for reply if they have a way .
Other school staff are included and may be given in school itself to them.

It makes sense as subs belong no where is truth .
We are not considered in Shut down times .no make up hours or pay and told to try unemployment .
That too had issues to get after they restart classes .

Not a dollar increase in pay Cheque even after risking health so far going to work .

Not giving vaccine now also saying we are not employees .

Though I worked most five days week in person from August.

Accept it or quit is only answers for sub teachers where I stay .

Wish some of you from different state or counties has hope .

What to say ?
It is the job I choose to do now .

Either way ,I went through all these differences they showing to sub teachers from March .

I decided to sign on time .
Sign off the moment bell rings at the end of day .
There is no need of overly commitments to more work ,a feeling in mind .
Not to accept their multiple day jobs also further .

Such difference they show to substitute teachers .

sila is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 01-12-2021, 01:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Subs need it more than teachers because of increased exposure. Are you sure?
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sweetsunset

Old 01-12-2021, 02:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When I emailed my district's HR- before break- asking if guest teachers would be included as staff and given an appointment for inoculation, she was evasive. Educators are next in line- tier 1B which starts in February. I'll ask again.
Sila, I like your style of writing. Do you journal? poem writer?
Sweetsunset is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

Totally unfair
Old 01-12-2021, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

And short-shighted. The reason i quit taking in person jobs was that i would find out the teacher i was in for was home with Covid. This happened more than once.

Where is the respect? Ugh
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

knelson13

Old 01-12-2021, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My district is having a meeting next week to discuss their vaccine clinic. They "want" to be able to include subs. Next week we are starting to go back full class, in person. It has been acknowledged that social distancing will not happen. I want my vaccine before I go back and sub in a class of 30 students.

knelson13 is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Keep in mind...
Old 01-12-2021, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Whenever you get the first vaccine you have to follow up with the second one 3 to 4 weeks later depending on which vaccine you get, and it takes at least a month to build antibodies. So in order for the vaccine to really be effective youíre looking at probably a 2 to 2 1/2 months window of time.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 01-12-2021, 07:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I feel for all of you. I am a former band, music, and theatre teacher who was self employed with an education service. I sort of semi retired a few years ago and have been working as a teaching assistant.

I had wondered if I counted as a teacher being an assistant, but I believe I do because I am a full time employee of a district and I receive all school and district emails. I also know that all school employees in our district will be able to make appointments to go to a neighboring high school at a neighboring district "maybe" at the end of the month.

I used to own an education business in which I went to about 7 small private schools a week to provide band and piano lessons. I was not an employee of any of the schools and the parents of participating students paid me for the lessons. I am relieved that I am no longer doing that. The schools I went to were all small private schools which are all in person here, whereas my public district has been fully remote all year.

I don't know how I would have been able to prove that I was a teacher to get the vacciene in when all other teachers in my area are able to, if I was still running that kind of business.
jazzer is online now   Reply With Quote

sila

Old 01-12-2021, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thank you all . I was very blessed to read your replies after reached back from class now . Thank you Sweet sunset . I was really sad to hear back the answers from the two school dists yesterday and I just want to vent it somewhere .And this is the only place I can do it with all freedom .

Thank you all . I got a call little before from County Health dept. They gave a hopeful reply . Saying they open the phase for all educators most likely in a week . It does not matter you are full time or part time or substitute teacher , Any one in teaching field can take appointment. No need to ask the school dist permission or bring ID (they check for proof themselves ) That is a great relief today .

Not only for vaccine . But at least county health department has the good mind to recognize us . So waiting now , Thank you all .

My prayers for everyone to be safe .
It is blessing we all reach there again
sila is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Old 01-19-2021, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Call your local health department. Ours is coordinating specific clinics by group in something called
Closed PODs, which means they are selecting manageable sets of like people under each set.
All the employees of school districts in the county, including custodians, offices staff, parapros, subs and students teachers, were permitted to go.
I would not go through your school district, bc it sounds like most donít account for subs... which we need!
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 01-21-2021, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We got our vaccines today. I saw substitutes there, so ours are definitely being offered the vaccine. Anyone who works for the district was eligible.

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

I contacted...
Old 01-21-2021, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I contacted one of my districts and they said we could use our paystub as ID at the big vaccination centers, however, the big vaccination centers where I live have not started doing educators as far as I know and even those over 65 are unable to currently get appointments because the system is so overwhelmed. I did ask my district for a letter specifically stating I work for district and that seems to be an unresolved issue getting it to us, so Iím thinking they donít need us that bad at this point in time. Good thing I still have EDD.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote
24Ahead

24Ahead

Look at the statistics
Old 01-27-2021, 10:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

95% of the deaths have been those 50+. In San Diego County it's 96.2% and they've only had one (1) death among those 20 or under.

Every dose a teacher, "essential worker", etc who's under 50 years of age gets is one that won't go to someone who needs it to avoid the ICU or death.

If you look at the stats and then still think someone under 50 should go before someone over 50, then there's something wrong with you.

knelson13

Old 01-30-2021, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Our state is having a large educator vaccine event from last Thursday through tomorrow. You had to have an email with a link to register. Subs weren't invited. Two weeks ago we went back full class so social distancing is not happening. I'm not going back until I can get a vaccine. I feel bad because there are so many open sub jobs everyday.
knelson13 is offline   Reply With Quote