Has anyone had their UI claim suspended due to fraud? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Has anyone had their UI claim suspended due to fraud?

>

Sublime

Has anyone had their UI claim suspended due to fraud?
Old 01-15-2021, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My claim was suspended due to suspicion of fraudulent activity. A message in UI told me to authenticate my identity through another website. I have spent 1 1/2 hours, 1st calling UI 4 times starting at 8 am only for the recording to say they're receiving too many calls, call back later, and then trying to get thru the identity authentication process, unsuccessfully. Maybe this is karma for me not having any problems with UI since March.

Anyone else?

Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 01-15-2021, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Not me, but I saw a story on the news the other night that this fraudulent activity suspension is very prevalent right now. Not sure where the fraud checks were when all the prisoners were receiving UI. I did get an email that I was extended for another 11 weeks, but haven't gotten anything about certifying weeks.

I read somewhere that calling in the early evening is sometimes easier to get a person. Good luck and I hope it gets cleared up quick!
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

I have heard
Old 01-15-2021, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Once you upload all the identity info they want you’ll probably be able to certify within 2 to 3 days. That is what I have heard from a few sources. I would not bother calling them.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sweetsunset

Old 01-15-2021, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sorry you're having trouble with the authentication process. It must be overloaded right now with many requests. Keep trying at different hours, including overnight. I don't have that message on my screen. UI is trying to protect you. Good vibes your way!! Keep us posted.
Sweetsunset is offline   Reply With Quote

Sweetsunset

Old 01-15-2021, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

EDD CA has added a Video Call option to verify ID's. Found this link on their Newsroom letter sent out today.

https://learn.id.me/rs/801-JLS-289/i...ll%20Guide.pdf

Sweetsunset is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 01-15-2021, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks everyone. I gave up today, will try the process again tomorrow. Found out I have to have a phone registered in my name, which I don't. Husband and I are trying a work-around.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Newsweek article
Old 01-16-2021, 08:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

says over two Billion dollars have been scammed and stolen from California EDD.

I can't imagine what other states have had taken. The totals must be staggering.

The sad fact is that there will be an overreaction that will cause harm to the non-scamming people who simply need some help during this trying time

https://www.newsweek.com/over-2-bill...eports-1553532
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 01-18-2021, 04:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This happened to me for using a VPN while filing for weekly benefits. The system thought I was filing from Europe due to using it.

Had to answer a few questions. Some seemed a bit intrusive, but hey, welcome to the era of the death of privacy.

Didn't hear back from them so I assume I passed the "fraud screening."
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 01-18-2021, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Typical "one extreme to the other," instead of using common sense in the first place. Happens all the time with the government.

The one time i called, a long time ago, I called at 9:15a.m. and got through after probably 10 minutes.

I had $600 added to my edd account, yesterday. Apparently, the federal government is giving us (back) $300/week. I was surprised because I don't get the extra $300/week since I don't get (back) at least $100/week.

I can use it...
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Artisian78

Artisian78

Old 01-18-2021, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Yes, I did have a unemployment claim that was denied but I was working a job outside of education, but at grocery store. I kind of needed a break from substituting so I picked up a summer job as a cashier. But then, I was moved to working in the back of the store and then to this garden center area. The manager was really abusive and he started verbally attacking me. I was taking care of my mother who was disabled and she kept falling down at the manager. The manager wanted to start a fight but I simply walked out.

My claim was denied and I had to appeal it. It took some time but then I was taking care of my mother who later passed away from fibromylagia. She passed away after falling off her bed on Thanksgiving morning last year. She was in the hospital for 4 days but was sent home for hospice care.

I later went back to subbing for a while. But then the coronavirus pandemic occurred and the schools shut down.

This one lady who I worked with at the grocery store later lost her job. She is now filing a lawsuit against the company to get her money.

The abusive manager and the garden center supervisor are no longer working there at least at that same store.

My advice is to keep good documentation and just be patient but persistent.