Help

BusyBoard

IKEA Magazine Boxes

>

shopperc

IKEA Magazine Boxes
Old 11-29-2011, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone used these? How sturdy are they? I want to buy them for my tables but at 5 for $1.99 I am skepical at how long they will last. Also, I don't want them to be tippy. Calloway House has some nice sturdy ones but they are $15.00 for 5.

shopperc is offline   Reply With Quote

jamester116

I bought them
Old 11-29-2011, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

but haven't used them yet as I dont have a need for them right now. They seemed liked a great deal at the time. I feel like even if you have to replace them every year its worth it!
jamester116 is offline   Reply With Quote

iketeacher26

They work well
Old 11-29-2011, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've used these for several years and they worked really well. I let the kids personalize them, and then they kept reading books in them. Only 1 or maybe 2 students would really destroy theirs with books too big for the box, but most kids did well. The only real trouble I had would be that the bottom would sometimes become weak, (where it folded together), but a little packing tape fixed it right up!
iketeacher26 is offline   Reply With Quote

gymbob

Old 11-29-2011, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I love my ikea magazine boxes. I buy them every year for the kids independent reading books. I could probably get away with using them for two years but the kids like taking them home.
gymbob is offline   Reply With Quote

smannes

Old 11-29-2011, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've been purchasing them each year for my kiddos. We use them for book boxes. I always tape the bottom before I give them to the kids -just for a little extra support. So far I've only had to replace 2 this year (2 boys who were unconsciously picking away at them). My kids generally keep 3-4 books in them, a magazine, a composition book and a word study book. I love them. My principal loves them too. Whenever there are visitors in my room she always makes it a point to show them off.

smannes is offline   Reply With Quote

trexteach

Old 11-29-2011, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This is the second year for mine. Mine sit on a ledge in the same spot all year, so I don't need to reinforce the bottoms of them. Since I reuse them, each is labeled with a number (the student's number 1, 2, ...) instead of a name. They are quite sturdy. The price is why I bought them in the first place. My whole team uses them, but two of them bought the ones that are brightly colored. Those look much nicer than the white ones the rest of us use.

Quote:
I don't want them to be tippy
As I mentioned, mine sit on a ledge, but they are right up against each other. If they weren't all together, I can see where putting books and notebooks in and taking them out on a daily basis could cause them to tip over.

Last edited by trexteach; 11-29-2011 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: added
trexteach is offline   Reply With Quote

TeaPro

This is my first year using them
Old 11-29-2011, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have an "active" class and several have poked holes in the boxes with their pencils. It didn't occur to me to tell them not to, although at the beginning of the year I told the class to be careful with the boxes because they would be used all year long. Other than that they are holding up pretty well. If your class is better behaved, and I'm sure it is, they should hold up.

They sit on the desk or on the floor next to the desk all day and hold 8-10 books and a spiral notebook. At night they are stored on a low shelf. One problem is they don't quite fit on the shelf so I had to trim a quarter inch off the top of each box! They fall over sometimes, but it is not a big issue. I can't afford the plastic bins so I prefer this to using baggies.
TeaPro is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherinWA

Depends
Old 11-29-2011, 10:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

A lot depends on the students. I have seen some students this year whose bins look a mess already and it isn't even Dec. And these were Ks.
I have also seen teachers who have used them and they work well.
You could look at the Container Store and maybe find something sturdier.
I have actually been picking up a couple sturdy ones every time I go to IKEA so the price isn't so bad.
I think if you let students know that like anything else they need to be respectful they will work fine.
I actually use them for both Reading and Math.
teacherinWA is offline   Reply With Quote