Help

Second Grade

Clip Chart or Stoplight

>

tatasurvivor

Clip Chart or Stoplight
Old 07-21-2012, 06:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

As a second grade teacher, I'm really trying to work harder at improving classroom management. I have read a lot about the clip chart (moving clips up and down) for inappropriate and exceptional behavior. The problem appears to be remembering to move clips up. I have also read about the stoplight that Laura Candler created, where students add colored strips to their "green" for inappropriate behavior. I would like teachers opinions especially if you have used one or both of these ideas.

tatasurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote

hopeful10

Clip chart!!!
Old 07-21-2012, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I vote for the clip chart! It is what I will be using my classroom this year. I really LOVE how it focuses more on positive behavior than negative behavior. I know it is going to be a challange to remember to move the clips up, but already knowing that is one thing I will have to look out for is a good start.

I've used the stop light in the past with Kinder and found it to be a very negative experience. One of my kinders cried so loud when I told her to move her clip that the other 2 K teachers came over to my room and asked me if everything was ok. I will never use the stoplight system again.
hopeful10 is offline   Reply With Quote

abf626

Clip Chart
Old 07-21-2012, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Oh I am clip chart all the way. I love that thing so much! I do allow kids to give me reasons they think people should clip up (we do bucket filling, too) so that helps me remember to clip kids up, and we take our chart everywhere... so if the whole class behaves extremely well in the cafeteria, the monitor clips them up, or if they are great in Music/Art/PE/Library, those teachers know and clip the kids up, or tell me they need to clip up... just let all those people know what you are doing, and they help, too!
abf626 is offline   Reply With Quote

hopeful10

abf626
Old 07-21-2012, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Do you have a normal size clip chart or do you have one on a yardstick? I was just wondering since you said you took it with you. I like that idea. Are the other teachers very accepting of maintaining your clip chart in their classes?
hopeful10 is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 07-21-2012, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I vote for the Clip Chart as well. I've used it for the past four years and love it. This system really pushes you to look for the positive and catch them being good. This year though I'm going to venture into using classdojo on my interactive board (www.classdojo.com). Check it out, I think it sounds like a high tech version of the clip chart that gives more detailed reports to students and parents.

pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

jswmac

Clip Chart
Old 07-21-2012, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I used the clip chart last year for the first time. When I finally got used to moving clips up, I found it to be an amazing resource. The effect it had on my class when a former trouble-maker got rewarded for making it all the way to the top was truly magical. My other challenging students decided that they could do it also. I like it better than anything else I have ever tried.
jswmac is offline   Reply With Quote

jan2nd grade

clip chart - up and down
Old 07-21-2012, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have been thinkng about the clip chart as well, and think its good especially for those who get clipped down , have an opportunity to bring them up. I am concerned about remembering to bring up.....what kinds of things would you use to bring them up.....on task? not talking? I want to use it but so concerned that I will not properly acknowledge those children
jan2nd grade is offline   Reply With Quote

kiwi193

clip chart
Old 07-21-2012, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I've been thinking about using the clip chart this year, but last year I used sort of a stoplight. I'm not sure how it differs from the one that you described but I'll tell you what I did...

I made a large stoplight and put everyones' name on the green at the beginning of the day. Negative behaviors resulted in the child moving to yellow and then to red if it worsened. The kids could also move back up if their behavior changed. At the end of the week, anyone who remained on green all week would receive a reward.

I used this system because it was simple and my first year teaching. I would like to move away from focusing mostly on the negative to rewarding the positive. I think it's really important to focus on the positive at this age. At least in my experience, the kids respond well to complements and strive to move up to the top whether that be a green light or "outstanding" on a clip chart. So, my vote also goes for the clip chart.
kiwi193 is offline   Reply With Quote

abf626

Hopeful and n8484
Old 07-21-2012, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hopeful: I have a modified, not yardstick or the giant one... it is about 5 full pieces of paper... if that? and the teachers are VERY for it... they like that they understand it and can use it...

n8: I am going to look at using class dojo, too

gazelda

clip chart
Old 07-21-2012, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Our school used a 7 color clip chart with green being the color in the middle. Everyone started on green--ready to learn. Then there were 3 colors above and below green. During morning work, I moved clips up as students were doing what was expected. I also moved them up again after centers. After lunch was another good time for moving clips. Yes, a child could move up after moving down if they "got it together." I will be using this system again this year. I love it. Before, I had always used a yardstick with everyone beginning at the top. But the majority of kids make good choices and there was no where to go. With 7 colors and beginning in the middle, the kids following expectations get rewarded several times!

gazelda is offline   Reply With Quote

JenSnow

Student Clips-or Teacher Clips?
Old 07-22-2012, 05:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm surprised how many posts I read that the teachers are clipping the students up or down. I used it last year and had the students move the clip up or down. I'm curious to hear your reasonings behind the teacher moving it vs. the student. I just found it to be rewarding for the student if they move it, however as the year came to a close, I would forget to tell students to move around because the class was behaving so well...Sometimes I'd even give bonus points at the end of the day. What do you find to work better, or which way is more efficient: having the teacher move the clips or the students?
JenSnow is offline   Reply With Quote

san2teachgirl

Departmentalized
Old 07-22-2012, 05:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'm curious as to how this would work if you had three classes a day come in your room. Do you make three different clip charts?
san2teachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

abf626

Jen
Old 07-22-2012, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

When speaking and saying "i clip the students" i don't actually clip them, they clip themselves, lol.... I guess I just think I clip them up meaning, I tell them/let them clip up.... sorry.

I agree, very rewarding for them doing it themselves...Thanks for helping me catch that, I will do better!

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 07-22-2012, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

In my classroom, only I touch the clips. The first year I used it, I had sneaky students who would try to cheat and put their clip on the wrong color, or clip other students down instead of themselves. Some tried stealing other kids jewels off of their clips. I found it much easier to just clip them myself instead of trying to police their activity at the clip chart. If I feel like this year's group is more trustworthy, I may try letting them do it again.

san2teachgirl, in a departmentalized situation, I would use one chart with different colored clips for the different classes. You might have to make the chart larger to fit all the clips. Last year, I team taught and we had two classes in one room. All of my students clips were on the left and co-teachers kids were on the right.
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

san2teachgirl

Mrs. Lilbit
Old 07-23-2012, 06:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Thanks for the information. I like the clip chart idea but was torn over how to make it work with three classes.
san2teachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

pvtflukd

Portable Clipboard
Old 07-24-2012, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

If you want an idea for a portable board, see this blog post I stumbled across: http://curlsandasmile.blogspot.com/2...lip-board.html. I used the clipchart for a long-term first grade postition I had this year. I've been hired back to the same school full-time for second grade. Although it did work very well, I'm not sure if I will use it again. There were some kids who were focused too much on the colors and not enough on the work we were doing. That said, there were parents who loved the nightly feedback it gave them about their child. I still have a little to mull it over as my first week isn't until the 2nd week of Sept.
pvtflukd is offline   Reply With Quote

shopperc

Dojo
Old 07-25-2012, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Have you looked into Class Dojo? Since I started using it last year it is the only thing I need.
shopperc is offline   Reply With Quote

Caroline0002

dojo
Old 07-25-2012, 08:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I love the idea of the classdojo! My only question is how do you keep it projected all of the time for students to see when you have to use your computer/smartboard for other activities?
Caroline0002 is offline   Reply With Quote

mbirw

Clip chart info link?
Old 07-28-2012, 09:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I remember a link about this clip chart a few years ago. Does anyone have a link to more detailed information? Thanks.
mbirw is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. H20

New ideas?
Old 07-29-2012, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I just wrote about this on another post. I am struggling for a good behavior plan. My district does not allow the clip chart, stoplight or taking away any recess. I am constantly struggling with finding a whole class behavior plan that will work and appropriate consequences for kids that misbehave. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Mrs. H20 is offline   Reply With Quote