Help

Substitute Teachers

Long-term subs, can you grade?

>

Teacher_twins

Old 09-05-2014, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So my district outsourced all the subbing jobs to that Kelly service over the summer instead of having all the subs be district employees. So now, long-term subs don't get district computer logins, email addressed, or access to the online grade book for the teacher for they are subbing for. Also, the district said that the subs can no longer grade assignments, they must be sent to other teachers who teach the same subject as you do, and the graded assignments must be sent to the department head to be entered into the grade book. I am just mad because I am the teacher who has to do all the grading and all the entering of the grades. I am the co-department head for English and the teacher is on maternity leave.

Do you, as long-term subs, have to go through this or are you treated like a real, competent, teacher?

Teacher_twins is offline   Reply With Quote

formerteach

I Did it All!
Old 09-05-2014, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

As a long term sub I graded papers, entered grades into the grade book and even had a few parent teacher conferences while the teacher was on maternity leave. At the end of the grading period I filled out the report cards so the teacher didn't have to. I am a certified teacher though, maybe that makes a difference? All teachers are overworked and underpaid! Not fair to make another teacher do all the grading. The sub is in the classroom teaching the kids and making the assignments. They should also be grading the students' work.
formerteach is offline   Reply With Quote

momandsub

Old 09-05-2014, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The last long-term I did required me to do all grading, report cards, 6th grade math placement. But I was never given a log-in so I had to enter grades in the office using the office manager's log-in.
momandsub is offline   Reply With Quote

rhapsody

Old 09-05-2014, 08:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have had a few long term placements one of which I was there from the end of February until the end of the school year. In all but one instance, I was responsible for lesson plans, grading and entering grades into the online "portal" for report cards.

I am a fully certified teacher as well and I have classroom teacher experience. I don't know if that makes any difference.
rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote

Bella_Rose

Old 09-05-2014, 08:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When I was a long term sub, I was basically the teacher at sub pay levels. Planning, meetings, grading, etc. I was just given the teacher's password and she changed it when she came back after five months.

I'd be very irritated if I were the regular teacher who was given that extra work unless I got extra pay. As the sub, I probably wouldn't mind since I always thought it was unfair we got sub pay levels for teacher work levels.

Bella_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 09-06-2014, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I did everything. Planning. Grading. Meetings. I was the primary teacher. Of course, I was a certified teacher hired by the district.

If I were the department head or other teacher of that subject, I'd better be getting extra pay for doing someone else's work!
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Long Termer

Long Termer

I have to do it all...
Old 09-06-2014, 08:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have to do everything the teacher does, including IEPs (I am a credentialed teacher).

I've always been given access to log-ins for attendance and grading, and for e-mail. I did run into an issue this past week, though. Our district IT guy said I shouldn't have access to the teacher's e-mail, so they are actually issuing my own e-mail address. I was absolutely shocked they are doing this, but at the same time, I'm happy. This is my 7th long-term position in this district - I can't even use the teacher's computer without an e-mail password because it's the password to unlock the computer.

I find it absolutely preposterous that a long-term sub isn't allowed to grade papers or have access to vital information. If I'm in a classroom for an extended period of time, there's a reason for it. Our teachers are on leave for a reason - right now I'm there for a maternity leave. A mother with a newborn baby, lacking sleep, doesn't need piles of papers handed to her to grade and grades to enter. I, as a sub, need to be able to access information - communication from the administrator, other teachers, parents. What a pain if none of that is available! I can just imagine having to run to the secretary to get phone numbers for parents constantly instead of just being to access it online. What a joke. If that was the case, I would never do another long-term again.

broomrider

sounds rather like your district
Old 09-06-2014, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

is anticipating Kelly sending anyone minimally qualified to sub and expects people with poor skills. They may want to avoid parental appeals on grades, protesting that "only a sub" gave darling sweetie a bad grade.

Much more work for regular teachers. Perhaps you guys might forward copies of your own and the additional papers to correct to the superintendent and board members. Or take the piles to a board meeting when reporters are sure to be present.

I don't know if this applies to your district, but some districts are outsourcing substitute supplying to agencies to avoid Obamacare requirement for insurance. The law of unintended consequences always kicks in.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

theapple

LTS and Grading
Old 09-07-2014, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I've always been able to grade papers on long term. My last subbing job was a LT spot. I had to grade all of the papers and record them into the online grade book, as I was expected to perform all of the teacher's duties when she took a sabbatical.

Hell, even if I was in a day-to-day spot, if a teacher left me the answer key, I would definitely grade papers. I was friends with many teachers at the school I used to sub at, so I would do anything to help them out. The principal knew and she never said anything about me doing it since she trusted me, but would strongly discourage other subs from grading papers. I was the only sub allowed access to the online grade book, too.

I guess it depends on the principal of the school.
theapple is offline   Reply With Quote

Nanu57v

Um, neither.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We do all the teaching, entering grades on the computer, IEPs, parental contact, but we are often treated as SUBstandard by peers.

Nanu57v is offline   Reply With Quote
artisian78

artisian78

Long Term Substitute Teacher
Old 01-01-2021, 11:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I had a similar experience about 5 years ago when I got hired to do a 2 month long term assignment for a health science teacher at a high school that is actually a good 14-15 mile drive to my house. For whatever reason, the administration didn't want me to use the computers whatsoever even though I had to create assignments, quizzes, tests, and do grades. The health science classes were taught in a separate building from the rest of the school.

At the time, I really needed to work so I took the long term substitute assignment. At first, there actually was another long term substitute that I was working with,which made the job more rewarding to do. If anything, I had someone to talk to while making copies.

As time went on, I got to get to know the department head of the health science department. He would allow me to use a student laptop at least at school to do some grading and to do research. As it was, I had to teach lessons from a scripted curriculum that was on insurance and later on, even basic biology concepts.

Since I am credentialed/certified teacher, I was able to stay on for an extra month.

While doing the long term assignment, it didn't help me that my both my aunt and uncle were stuck in a retirement center because at the time my cousin was working. Sadly, my cousin did not seem to want to deal with my aunt and uncle. My aunt would call me at home at least 10-12 times a day while I was at work.

I tried to get out of the long term assignment but the administration did not want to hear any of my concerns.

I had to turn in the grades to one of the health science teachers, but she didn't seem to very respectful nor cordial. All in all, I made it through the long term assignment but I did not go back to the same school until maybe 2-3 years later.

Nietzsche

Old 01-02-2021, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I just finished a long-term sub job. No grades had been entered when I took over and I had to create assignments, grade them, and finalize grades for the first quarter. There was no agency involved.

I had another long-term job through an agency. I graded all assignments and entered them in the online grade book. The assignment ended before the end of the quarter, so I did not have to finalize the grades for the quarter.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 01-02-2021, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

When I was a high school teacher and out on disability, my long-term sub did everything.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

artisian78
Old 01-02-2021, 11:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Hi and Welcome to ProTeacher.

You have absolutely not committed a faux pas, but just to be sure you know how the site works--when you respond to an old thread (this one is six years old) only those who previously responded will get notification of your addition or those who
search for "new" postings. If you want a wider interaction, you might take the topic of the post you find interesting and address it to the wider group by starting a thread on the topic.

You have written some good stuff and it seems a shame not to have it more widely available.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote