Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Lone parenting

>

GreyhoundGirl

Lone parenting
Old 12-27-2020, 07:58 PM

This is a great article on lone parenting. I had never heard the term before this. I do think itís important to note the difference before lone parenting vs single parenting. I know we have many PTers, including Cruxian and Basketball777 lone parenting.

https://www.elephantjournal.com/2020...UVG8DfaY-adZOg

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Lone parenting
Old 12-27-2020, 08:23 PM

I became a lone parent when my DS was 16 months old. My DH died. Yes, it was hard. I sacrificed a lot to give DS the best I could. I never remarried.

DS is an adult now with two small children. He and his wife are divorcing. Iím so sad watching this happen and know too well how hard parenting will be for him. He wonít lone parent like I did, but heíll have some experience since he was raised by a lone parent.

Itís a tough job.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-27-2020, 10:45 PM

Interesting to read this as I was just thinking about someone I know in this situation. She attends my book club very sporadically and I don't know her very well. She did the single mother by choice/IVF route, and she has two children. I admire her for going after what she wanted, but it does seem like such a hard life. But, I was supposing she must be happy with it if she chose to have the second child.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 12-28-2020, 03:45 PM

DD is a lone parent! I need to let her read this! Thanks for sharing.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
happygirl444

happygirl444

Old 12-28-2020, 04:38 PM

By choice, my cousin is a lone parent. She really wanted two kids so she went out and had them but didn't involve the fathers. I know she has long daycare hours available to her and receives government assistance and neighborly help, but it's not enough. She always looks frazzled--physically and emotionally. I really worry about her and her kids.

basketball777

solo mom
Old 12-29-2020, 12:51 PM

Thanks for sharing. Us widows tend to call it solo parenting. I call myself a solo mom. Yes Iíve read this article before then saw it circulating again recently. I identify with some of it but not all, but all experiences are different. It can be bittersweet for a solo parent, especially a widowed parent. Also painful at times, besides also enjoying your kid.
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote