Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Your Top Favorite Streaming Services?

>

MAsped

Your Top Favorite Streaming Services?
Old 01-03-2021, 02:14 PM

NOT streaming devices, but I'm talking about services, such as Netflix, PhiloTV, Sling, Hulu, etc.?

Which do you think are the best OVERALL for someone who doesn't care about sports or foreign TV, you get the most for your money, and no complications, etc.? TIA.

I need to look up a list of ALL the services. There may be some I haven't heard about.

MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 01-03-2021, 02:21 PM

We have philo and I think it's a good value. It's the regular live shows like on cable for a bunch of channels and it's like $20 a month.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Youthcantknow

Streaming Services
Old 01-03-2021, 02:28 PM

I really like Netflix and Disney+. Between the two of them DH and I, my adult kids, and my grandkids can watch whatever we want.

And apparently there's a service called 'fubo TV' that is being advertised on this PT page as I write, lol. Gotta' love targeted advertising.
Youthcantknow is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 01-03-2021, 02:47 PM

Hulu offers a live tv option that I think is unique. I don't know if any other streaming services offer that. I like it because without cable I can still watch some network TV like the network news, the bachelor, and baseball games during baseball season. I know you can watch the shows whenever you want on other services, but things like baseball games and the local and national news can't be watched that way.

We also have Amazon prime, and a streaming service for $5 called Frndly that offers the Hallmark channels and you can watch them live and on demand. Peacock TV has some interesting options as well. Sign up or free, Sign up for the 7 day free trial, watch the show you want and cancel each night the re sign up so you never have to pay. I don't know if that is a slimy thing to do or not, but places are always out to cheat people out of money so it is a way to play the system and avoid that from happening to you.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-03-2021, 02:47 PM

I have Hulu and Netflix. I tend to prefer Hulu more. They will air new shows the next day for ABC, NBC, and Fox, so the only major network missing is CBS. They also have quite a few other partnerships as well. I've enjoyed some of the FX shows that are on there and some of the Hulu originals, and I put on some of the TLC or Bravo nonsense if I just want something on in the background/that I don't have to think too hard about.

With the pandemic I've been watching Netflix more than usual. Netflix has a lot of their own content these days. The "seasons" are very short so it's easy to run through shows on there. I'm obviously home way more and wanting more TV to watch, plus not as many new shows are getting made due to covid.

I pay $15 total for both combined- Netflix is $9 and Hulu is $6 per month. There is no contract for either, so if you decide you don't like it, just cancel it.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-03-2021, 02:48 PM

Hulu and Netflix are my go-to. For a while, I was watching Hulu a lot more, now I'm watching Netflix a lot more.

We don't have any sort of cable service. We get basic channels off-air with an antenna.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Old 01-03-2021, 02:59 PM

We had Sling for a few weeks, but hated it. We probably do more Hulu and Netflix than any, but we also have Disney+, Prime video, and HBO Max that goes with our satellite package. Iím growing increasingly annoyed with the networks pulling things over to their own branded stream. It feels like paying twice- more in some cases.
Englishish is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Streaming
Old 01-03-2021, 03:17 PM

In a way a lot depends on what shows you want to watch.

Lots of online outlets do lists of what to watch/what is coming to/leaving the various platforms.

You can ever find rankings of best TV shows and best movies. Many shows migrate to different platforms. Mad Men was on Netflix forever and is now on Prime.

Disney plus is probably my favorite, but I watch Netflix the most.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Old 01-03-2021, 03:33 PM

I watch Netflix the most. We have Disney and Amazon and I like a few shows on each. If I could only have one, I'd pick Netflix.
love_to_learn is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

Check promotions first
Old 01-03-2021, 03:55 PM

I called last week to cancel cable (Charter Communication) since football season is basically over and because we have Hulu, Netflix, and Disney Plus I was tired of paying for nothing new on tv. I was offered a promotion that saved me $115 dollars per month which is basically what I would pay by cancelling cable. It lasts for one year. My overall bill is drastically reduced.

Maybe you could research if there are promotions that include 2 or 3 different ones.

My daughter received 1 year free Apple tv plus with her new computer last year.

Fios Verizon offers 1 year free Disney Plus.

luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 01-03-2021, 04:50 PM

I cancelled cable years ago and don’t have a need for live TV. I use both Netflix and Hulu (I pay for the no ads plan) about the same amount. I also has Disney+ as it only cost $7 to add it to my Hulu and use it for movies often.

I already had Netflix with my cable so I saved a ton of mo he cancelling cable and just adding Hulu.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 01-03-2021, 04:59 PM

I don't think there is one best, unfortunately. We only watch one show at a time and try to just pick something we really want to watch rather than "time filler" stuff. And everybody's taste in television and movies is so different.

There doesn't seem to be enough on any one service that we want to watch.

We currently rotate between Netflix, Prime, AppleTV, Hulu, and Disney+

Disney and Prime have more of the movies we want to watch, and AppleTV and Netflix have more of the TV we want to watch. And Hulu only has one or two things we've really wanted to see so far.

If you haven't seen anything in a while, I'd guess Netflix has a good variety.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 01-03-2021, 05:02 PM

Thanks so much so far guys! OK, so it looks like many of you have the combo of Netflix and Hulu. I'll return to this thread to see more.

Question: So other than buying an antenna, HOW do you watch channels 2-13 like if you want to watch the (current) news or the home shopping channels HSN or QVC, etc.?

I currently pay $177 for the triple bundle (internet, landline, & cable TV) and yes, I ALWAYS want to keep my landline, but I do have a cell too.

ICrazyTeach, yes , Philo does seem pretty good for only $20/mo!

Youthcantknow, yes, I did know about Fubo too, but I see they're $64.99 at the lowest package, so that's actually more than what I pay for cable now (when you divide the $177 by 3).

jazzer, yes, I did sign up for Peacock a few weeks ago. I was never asked for any payment card info, so I guess they have a permanently FREE service. So I guess I don't have to sign up for the 7-day and continue resigning up, which I didn't know about. How much more do you get for that?

Haley23, just that amount for Netflix and Hulu is a steal!

luvtulearn, wow, congrats on shaving off so much from your bill! That reminds me, I had to call my "Loyalty Dept" for my cable co. soon to see what they can do for me.

Lilbitkm

Old 01-03-2021, 05:21 PM

You would have to buy an antenna to watch those channels from what I know. I haven’t ever watched home shopping channels so I am not sure if you can even get them on an antenna.
I don’t watch the news (I read a few sites daily), but you can watch most local news channels on their websites.

I haven’t had a landline since I was in college so I can’t help you there.

I pay $60 for WiFi. Netflix is $9. Hulu is $13, plus $7 for Disney+.
I was paying $150 for WiFi/cable with dvd plus the Netflix cost so I save $70 a month and who knows how much my rate would have raised in the past few years.

You can watch about 2/3 of the shows available on Peacock for free without signing up for the paid tiers.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 01-03-2021, 05:31 PM

Quote:
You would have to buy an antenna to watch those channels from what I know. I haven’t ever watched home shopping channels so I am not sure if you can even get them on an antenna.
I don't know about now, but we had an antenna ten years ago or so, and the network channels and home shopping channels were the only channels we got. I feel like we got more home shopping channels than regular channels.

Last edited by Gromit; 01-03-2021 at 05:56 PM..
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 01-03-2021, 05:38 PM

Lilbitkm and Gromit, thanks a lot! Hmm, so still might need the old-fashioned antenna even if I had a Smart TV depending on what I wanted to see?

Peacock is an actual TV service that can be watched on a Smart TV or if I have Roku, right? I really hate & don't liek to watch regular TV/movies at my desk from my computer when I have my comfy sofa and bigger TV.

Well, if all else fails, I can watch the home shopping and news here and there off my computer.

GraceKrispy

Old 01-03-2021, 05:43 PM

Hulu live has those channels as part of its package, I believe. I don't know if it would be any cheaper, though.

We get some home shopping from our antenna. And a few foreign language channels. We actually get a lot on our antenna. I don't watch the home shopping stuff, so I have no idea if they're any good or not.

There are sites where you can look up what channels you should be able to get off air with an antenna based on where you live. If you live in an area where you can get some channels it's usually way more cost effective than paying for a service since the antenna is a one-time purchase and you can take it with you when you go. Our antenna is a black flat square box about the size of half of my laptop screen that hangs on the wall where it gets the best signal. I think it would be worth looking into.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Masped
Old 01-03-2021, 05:45 PM

The signing up and re-signing up on the Peacock network is when there is a show you want to stream that requires you to get the premium membership, you can sign up for a 7 day trial period that would turn into having to pay a certain amount (I forget what the amount was) per month. You can cancel it when the 7 days are up and not get charged.

When we wanted to stream the new Saved By the Bell show and watching it required signing up for the premium membership. My husband wanted to see the show but didn't want to pay for another streaming service, so we signed up for the free trial, watched the series which took a day or two, then canceled when we finished watching it. This way we watched a show that required the premium membership without having to pay due to the 7 day free trial.

Hulu live does allow you to watch all of the network channels. That is a little more expensive at $59.00 a month. The rate is going up to 60 some this month though.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 01-03-2021, 06:18 PM

I prefer netflix for movies and hulu for tv.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 01-03-2021, 06:20 PM

Thanks again guys! All of this is great to know. I'm willing to try out an antenna if I have to.

desert flower

Old 01-03-2021, 07:13 PM

I just switched from Hulu to Fubo TV. 7 days of streaming free. We still have Netflix and Amazon Prime movies. Plus, I did a year of Frndly....but will not renew it.
desert flower is online now   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 01-04-2021, 08:59 AM

I get HSN and QVC and all the major channels on my table top antenna

Have you tried to get on that website that tests the strength of the nearest communication tower in you area? It will even tell you its location so you can place your antenna to get excellent reception.

With your own antenna, you would only have to pay for some of the other options mentioned.
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 01-04-2021, 02:16 PM

Thank you desert flower and LazyLake!

Never heard of Frndly, but I agrere that even for just $6/mo of their very specific 15 channels, I might only watch 1 of those, IF that.

I might have to look into an antenna, which I'm not opposed to if I have to. I think I looked on that site, but I'll look again.

Oh and I'll be able to take off $20-25/mo off my cable TV bill!

Last edited by MAsped; 01-04-2021 at 02:54 PM..