Help

BusyBoard

Hybrid advice?

>

PEPteach

Hybrid advice?
Old 01-15-2021, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I started hybrid this week (after being fully remote all year) and I'm going to lose it. Of course it was good to see kids, but trying to teach both at the same time was crazy. I feel bad because the in-person kids were on Zoom for much of the time. I only have about 1/6 of my class in person, and the rest are on Zoom. At least when we were fully remote, I could focus all my attention on the kids on the screen.

Those of you that have been doing this, what's your best advice?

PEPteach is online now   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

live streaming
Old 01-15-2021, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you mean that your are teaching all the kids but some are on zoom and some are in front of you? We call it live streaming. We were told that doing that was our choice, they couldn't tell us that we had to do that. It's very hard because the ones that will get the most attention are the ones that are in front of you. There's no real fairness for the kids. You're only one person. I get it that maybe you don't have enough teachers though.
I don't have any good advice. I do it with only 1 of my groups. (I'm a pull out teacher) I have 1 with me and the other 3 on google meet. It's not hard with so few but I can't imagine with a whole class.
Do the best you can and don't worry about it. This whole thing is so hard. We're not miracle makers. We all just learned how to be remote teachers, what else do they expect from us??
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 01-15-2021, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks. Yes, I'm teaching both simultaneously. Since the majority are on Zoom, it probably makes sense to give them most of my attention, but that's not really fair to stick the kids who come to school on zoom all day. It was also disheartening because it was so much more obvious with the kids in front of me how much academic help they really need.

kahluablast

Old 01-15-2021, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am not looking forward to the idea at all, so I am watching for ideas and tips. I will (at this point in time) be teaching remotely still, but our classroom teachers will teach both groups at the same time.

We are supposedly phasing in with bringing small groups (5 or less) kids that will be in person all week until we go hybrid. Then they will join a hybrid group. Or the small group will be 2 small groups that will come 2 days a week.. I don't know they get me confused because they keep changing their minds. Hard to keep track and work a job at the same time.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 01-15-2021, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

DH has been teaching this way most of the year. He has found the easiest thing to do is have ALL of the kids log into Zoom, then he presents all of his information by presenting his screen while he talks. He presents from his iPad using his Apple Pencil, and he has a Chromebook where he can see the kids. That way he doesn’t have to have a Zoom running for one set of kids and regular classroom for the others. His kids do all have access to devices, whether school or personal.

Last edited by Ima Teacher; 01-16-2021 at 12:00 AM..
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Runnergirl04

A few tips
Old 01-15-2021, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We have been hybrid since October. It isn’t easy, but then again, teaching isn’t easy! I have 1/5 of my class in person, on Tuesday that number jumps to 1/4 being in person.

My in school students happen to be the ones that are most behind academically so I spend a lot of time still walking around and checking on their progress. While I circulate, I either carry a laptop/iPad in my hands to co tinge teaching of I project the zoom screen (the grid) of faces on the board.

A really good microphone also helps. If I am not in front of my camera, the at home students can still ask questions and I can answer them from any point if the room.

While I do my teaching from the document camera mostly, I circulate to take breaks from sitting and again, check on my in class students.

Also, I reward my in class students with tangible rewards. Again, they need all the positive reinforcement they can get and they don’t have the luxury of learning in their couch or pajamas. My 5 students are improving daily.

Good luck and as pp said, we can only do our best. I hope your technology is good because it does make a difference.
Runnergirl04 is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 01-16-2021, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you! I think my technology is decent. They did order us microphones/sound fields, but they were just delivered so I haven't used it yet. Hopefully that will help. Good idea to reward the in-person students. Everyone needs it, but it's a lot easier to reward the ones that are there.

I think I'll have to keep playing around with it. Really an extra computer and projector would help. . I was trying to project, but then was getting audio feedback issues on and off.

The first day I was through the roof excited to be with kids! The second day it became clear how hard this was going to be.

tyrex

hybrid
Old 01-16-2021, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hybrid is really hard. It feels like instead of doing a good job with either group, I'm doing a mediocre job with both.

I think you should let go of your guilt at having the in-person kids on Zoom. I present my screen with the info on Google Slides. So at first I had the in-person kids not logged in and I presented my slides to them via the projector, while the at-home kids logged in and saw the slides that way. Turns out my in-person kids sometimes preferred logging in so they could see the slides on their device rather than looking at the board. They also liked being able to see the chat. After a few days I just let the in-person kids decide if they wanted to also log in or not.

The thing is, teaching via Zoom is just the way things are now. It would be better if we could teach the in-person kids not on Zoom, but that's just not possible given that we also have students at home. I think the in-person kids are still benefiting from being able to see classmates and have a change of scenery from being stuck at home. So even if they're still on Zoom, they're still getting interaction by being in-person. But I'd suggest having your in-person kids do group work as much as possible in a socially distanced way. In my case it is having them stay in their seats but putting them in one group working on a shared Google Doc and just talking across the room to each other.

I would suggest making sure your at-home kids know to unmute and tell you if they need help. Otherwise, you might be helping an in-person kid and an at-home kid has typed something into the chat and you might not see it. Sometimes it will be something really simple, too, like what page number.

Last edited by tyrex; 01-16-2021 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: typo
tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

rosieteaches

My approach...
Old 01-20-2021, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

In September I started with a perfect split of 12 DL and 12 in person. Some students left the district and I also had some move into the district. I now have 15 in person and 8 distance learners.

You need to take one day at a time and make adjustments along the way. I find I need to make adjustments daily. Yesterday was a bad day but today was a good day. The biggest adjustment I made early on was to teach content in small groups only. So this week my small groups are 15 in person, and 8 DL twice a day in a Google Meet.

My good day today:
I start every morning with the full class of 23 students in a group meet where I outline the big objectives of the day. I also plan an additional two small groups of DL where I laser focus on one topic. Today 15 in person students worked independently while I worked with the small groups of 4-6 DL students. Yesterday they didn't work independently so I did a mini lesson with In Person where we created a to do list. So today's adjustment and my lesson learned is make sure they have a to do list when you are working with DL.

Take one day at a time. That is all you can do.
rosieteaches is offline   Reply With Quote