Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Folllow up

>

NCteacher

Folllow up
Old 01-10-2022, 04:40 PM

I posted a couple of days ago because one of my DS’s classmates had sent him explicit videos on Discord. The issue was that they attend a small private school, and if I had handled wrong, my DS faced retaliation by the classmate and his friends. There would have been no doubt that DS was responsible. I consulted a law enforcement friend, we had several tearful conversations over the weekend about the easy thing vs the right thing.

Today, I made an anonymous call to the school to complain that there was a student who had sent explicit material to multiple students ( a shot in the dark). The school admin thanked me and asked for my name and I told him that was not needed. I had DS go to school and act pitiful because his “awful” parents had gone through his phone and messages and it wasn’t right. He told the classmate to never send anything like that again because his parents go through his phone. I then contacted a friend in law enforcement and he will handle that side of it.

Maybe not the most perfect solution, but it got word to the authorities and the school, but allows DS to be able to attend school and not be afraid.

Last edited by NCteacher; 01-10-2022 at 06:11 PM..
NCteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 01-10-2022, 04:51 PM

Good for you for acting. And I love what you advised your sweet son to do to avoid revenge.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 01-10-2022, 04:59 PM

Good for you. I'm glad the school knows about what happened as does law enforcement. I love you were able to have your son act upset so he will not have problems in school. Now I pray that child receives the help he so obviously needs.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Good solution
Old 01-10-2022, 05:41 PM

I am glad your son could save face with his friends.
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 01-10-2022, 06:29 PM

Well done. And if you haven't already done so, let your son know that he can always blame his strict, mean parents for not letting him do things that he really doesn't think he should do.

TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Bad emails…
Old 01-11-2022, 08:19 AM

I glad you found a way to handle this. It makes me sad that you had to protect your son from retaliation…..but this is our culture now.😢

Could you clear up a confusion for me, though? When you made the anonymous call, did you identify the student culprit by name? If not, doesn’t this mean nothing will be done because the admin can’t pin point the offensive student?
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

NCteacher

Old 01-11-2022, 01:21 PM

I did identify him by name. We knew he had sent some j appropriate images or videos to two girls in the class as well.

Renea

Old 01-11-2022, 02:26 PM

You've done a good job of putting the the problem in the school's hands and now it's up to them to pursue a legal course of action. Hopefully law enforcement will show up in the admin's office and insist that the explicit videos are tracked down. Not sure how they do that but the school knows those videos can't become a part of their school's reputation. They have to deal with them!

Being a parent isn't an easy job, is it? You did the right thing, NCteacher.
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 01-11-2022, 02:52 PM

I am so glad to hear this. I remember my mom always told me that if I didn't want to do anything peers wanted me to to blame her that "I couldn't". Words I used with my own children. What a learning experience for all and I sure hope the school doesn't let this go.
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

NCteacher

Old 01-13-2022, 06:45 PM

My DS is so trusting and naive. I told him to go to school and gripe and groan about how nosy we are and how he doesn’t have any privacy and it’s just terrible. He said “but that isn’t true” I explained if he did that, it would look like any problems with the school came from his dad and I, not him. He said”oooohhhhh I get it”. Bless him.