Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Who pays?

>

NCteacher

Who pays?
Old 06-14-2022, 06:03 PM

Looking for opinions. I have one child, a 13 year old DS. We live in a neighborhood where the kids are all a lot younger than him and he attends a private school. He has friends from elementary school, Boy Scouts and his middle school. He really wants a group of his friends to go see the new Jurassic movie this Saturday. I have no problem with that, and DH and I are happy to chaperone (from a distance), but who pays for the tickets? If DS is inviting, should we? I could work it out to pay for tickets, but there’s no way I can afford to feed a crowd of 13 year old boys at the concession stand. Opinions?

NCteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-14-2022, 06:11 PM

I think it all depends on the wording. I would have happily provided funds for tickets and food to be able to drop my child off at that age with supervision.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 06-14-2022, 06:35 PM

I ageee that wording makes a difference.
I’d say, “We’re going to see JP on Saturday at 2 if you want to send Billy with us. Tickets are $12.”

If you want to spring for a treat, you could add, “We’re buying a couple large popcorns for the kids to split.”

Or if DS is doing the inviting, “He could say “…if you want to join us. Tickets are $12. My mom is going to buy popcorn for everyone to share.”
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 06-14-2022, 06:37 PM

When my sons were that age we gave them money for tickets and snacks when they went to movies with friends. I never thought about letting the other parent pay for the pleasure of their company
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Tough
Old 06-14-2022, 06:44 PM

This is tough. I do like the way others have worded it though. However, with the way theaters work now where you pick your seat, it might be wise to get tickets ahead of time, so they all can sit together. Maybe you do the tickets and suggest they bring money for treats?

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

NCteacher

Old 06-14-2022, 06:58 PM

You are right- I went online to see about show times and saw that we would choose seats ahead of time. I have never been a big movie fan s d haven’t been to one in a few years. I think we will spring for tix but let the families know (nicely) the kids ca n get thrif own snacks. I just have this visions of 6 or 7 13 year olds with hollow legs bankrupting me!
NCteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 06-15-2022, 12:44 AM

When my kids were invited somewhere at that age, I always paid my kids way. But, I paid other kids way as well when we did the inviting. As others have stated, it's all in the wording.
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 06-15-2022, 03:29 AM

If my boys were invited any where, I always sent them with money to pay. Sometimes the parents would pay and sometimes they didn’t. If you would like to purchase the tickets and not the snacks, I would just tell the parents we are buying the the tickets and not the snacks. I would not be offended at all if I was told this. Enjoy the movie!
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote