Help

First Grade

They Seem So Young

>

TeacherBug08

They Seem So Young
Old 08-22-2013, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello!! Today was my first day teaching first grade!! I am so happy to say that it went great. Btw, I am a first year teacher. I was just wondering do your first graders coming in always seem so needy wise and you are just wondering how on earth you are going to get them to level I in reading!?? Yikes?

TeacherBug08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Savvy

first grade
Old 08-22-2013, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The beauty of first grade is that you will see so much growth. In the beginning, it seems impossible that they will meet the goal, but they will. Many will even exceed it! Good luck.
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote

frizzle3

they gorw by leaps and bounds
Old 08-22-2013, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm glad your day went well. Yes, the firsties seem young in many ways at the beginning of the year, but they grow by leaps and bounds--academically, emotionally, and socially. :-)
The first couple of weeks take a lot of energy getting the routines in place. Enjoy!!
frizzle3 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherBug08

Thanks for the replies!
Old 08-22-2013, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the feedback! I am so excited to see the growth. They really feel like such babies now haha. I don't think I've ever been so tired at the end of a day. Does it get easier on the teacher?
TeacherBug08 is offline   Reply With Quote

maxwell

TeacherBug
Old 08-22-2013, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Glad that your day went well. Honestly, there are times during the first six weeks of school that I don't think I am going to make it. Then, they just take off. Each time you come back from a long break, you will see a big difference. Enjoy your year.

maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote

yellowdaisies

Yes!
Old 08-23-2013, 12:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I teach first grade too, and last year was my first year of teaching. I remember looking through the curriculum and thinking, no way. No way are they going to be able to do that. And guess what? They did!

They really do grow SO MUCH through the course of the year. It's why I love first grade. We haven't gone back yet, but just as I've been preparing for school to start, I'm amazed at how low level this beginning of the year stuff is! My kiddos could do SO MUCH by the end of the year! You probably will barely notice the growth as it's happening, but it will happen. I remember one day in the spring sitting there and suddenly realizing - WOW! They're readers and writers! When did that happen!?!

Enjoy the journey - I just fell in love with this grade level last year, and I'm SO excited to get started with a new class!
yellowdaisies is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Glorified
Old 08-23-2013, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Remember, this early on they aren't really first graders, but glorified kinders! That's what I tell my friends in grades 2, 3 & 4 when they "complain" how young "this class is!"
sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

It's so funny!
Old 08-23-2013, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I've been teaching for 27 years and you've been teaching for 0 years... yet we both have exactly the same feelings in August-September. You would think I would have learned by now... ha ha! But no! Every year I say to myself... "I just can't believe how young they are. How will they ever be able to learn the grade 1 curriculum?". But then you start noticing some real maturity coming along by November. After New Years, it's a whole new world. In the spring, you become totally focused on the few who haven't developed that maturity yet. I've taught several grades over the years, and first graders show the biggest growth by far!

Oh and Congratulations on your new job!
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

bgteacher

you make me smile
Old 08-23-2013, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

33 years in first for me. I agree with all the previous posters. You will be AMAZED at how much they grow and how many exceed expectations. I also need to say that no, it never gets less exhausting at the beginning of the year. With that said, it will get less exhausting as the year goes on. My retired husband and both my grown sons have volunteered for me. It never fails to make me laugh that after they've spent part of the day in my class, I come home and they're needing a nap. My sister, who teaches middle school, came for a day once and said she needed a nap when she got home as well.

Enjoy your adventure!
bgteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

yellowdaisies

Old 08-23-2013, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
33 years in first for me. I agree with all the previous posters. You will be AMAZED at how much they grow and how many exceed expectations. I also need to say that no, it never gets less exhausting at the beginning of the year. With that said, it will get less exhausting as the year goes on. My retired husband and both my grown sons have volunteered for me. It never fails to make me laugh that after they've spent part of the day in my class, I come home and they're needing a nap. My sister, who teaches middle school, came for a day once and said she needed a nap when she got home as well.
This made me laugh - my mom, who teaches 4th grade, came in one day last year and after the kids left she said, "They have so much energy! They never stop moving!" First grade is definitely a different world!

yellowdaisies is offline   Reply With Quote

upperwests

First Grade is Amazing
Old 08-24-2013, 03:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

The growth they show is truly miraculous.....but, it's true, they really are just babies when they come to us. And some children are almost a whole year older than others, because many parents hold their children back a year before sending them to Kindergarten. They will make progress, but remember.....in the beginning.....less can be more! These first six weeks are so crucial for establishing routines, independence, etc. It's so hard because we all want to rush into curriculum as fast as possible, but there is just so much they can "take in" at the beginning.....and just so long they can sit on the rug and focus.......In my district, Kindergarten is only 1/2 day, so building stamina is a biggie.....some even fall asleep....and it doesn't help if we have a heat wave which usually happens as school as school starts. They will blossom.....you'll see....and you will be amazed how much they have learned by December. Establishing independence is crucial! I've had years when I've had assistant help in the room, and she took over a lot of the routines the children should have done.....Last year, I had no help.....and it actually worked out better, because the children became independent much more quickly.....and they learned from other students, rather than running to an adult. I think First Grade is the hardest grade to teach.....but the most rewarding!!!! Good Luck!
upperwests is offline   Reply With Quote

jcflies

first graders ROCK!
Old 08-30-2013, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'm a career firstie but, as a result of budget cuts and ill-timed decisions, I wound up in third two years ago, and second last year. But NOW, I'm back home, in FIRST! It's so fun to watch them evolve! And each step, along the way, is precious! During the first week, while I was assessing, I had my students trace numbers, from 1 - 60, and it was quite easy. So, on the next day, I had them use a number line to WRITE the numbers. Still fairly easy. FInally I said, "Okay, write the numbers without looking at the number line (to assess what they actually KNEW.) I look up, at H. He's sitting there with his eyes closed. "H., what are you doing?" H: My numbers, but it's hard to stay in the squares! Me: Well, open your eyes! H: (Genuinely perplexed) But you said not to look!
LOVE LOVE LOVE this age!
jcflies is offline   Reply With Quote

ThinkBrink

Old 08-30-2013, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

In the spring I love to pull out some of the first stories we read and have the kids read them. They love it because they themselves can see how far they have come.

I love first grade because I help them open up the world.
ThinkBrink is offline   Reply With Quote