Help

First Grade

I feel like a monster

>

jcflies

I feel like a monster
Old 10-24-2013, 08:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My class of first graders really DO try hard and they are learning by leaps and bounds. ALthough I keep telling them that I'm pushing them so hard b/c of how smart they are, I worry that I'm too impatient...There's a lot of developmental stuff going on...We have so much pressure upon us to PRODUCE, PRODUCE, PRODUCE! They can't just sit around and be six anymore... As a result, the entire grade level, at my school, tends to go a bit ballistic at recesses! You can just feel their collective sigh of relief, as they let LOOSE! has anyone else noticed this?
Thanks,

jcflies is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherMeg

Old 10-25-2013, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have noticed the exact same thing. There is SO much pressure on us as teachers, especially with common core. I have found myself losing my patience with kids so much more this year already, and it's really not their fault. There is no time left to just be a kid. It makes me sad.
TeacherMeg is offline   Reply With Quote

krazykaye

I agree
Old 10-25-2013, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Why can't we just let them be kids....
krazykaye is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 10-25-2013, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've actually let up on my class this year compared to other years. They are young acting, love to do crafts, and love to play. I am normally a very academic and curriculum driven teacher (I still am-I'm not slacking); however, I give them more breaks and choice time than I've ever given a class before. Honestly, when they have their little breaks here and there, they produce such better work and are more focused. We've been taking an extra recess mid-morning for about 10-15 minutes and they are rockstars when they come in from their extra recess.

Our principal is okay with it right now because he knows this is a high energy and high needs group.

I still feel the pressure no doubt yet I'm letting myself be okay with a little extra recess or choice time here and there.
AD is offline   Reply With Quote

jcflies

Breaks--awesome!
Old 10-25-2013, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm been doing this, too! AM SO GLAD THAT SOMEONE ELSE IS DOING THE SAME!!! I'l drive them SO HARD for 40 minutes, and then give 4 minutes to just "chill," walk around the room, talk to a friend, or unwind (WITHIN parameters, of course). i've found that it TRULY helps my high-energy class, as well... I might just consider an extra recess! LOVE iT!

jcflies is offline   Reply With Quote

JJ2011

I am the monster
Old 10-27-2013, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have 13 girls and 3 boys this year, all I hear all day long is this one did this she said that I hate the reading series and I know cc is suppose to be easier but really!? I feel like I'm losing my mind! I am beginning to hate teaching!
JJ2011 is offline   Reply With Quote