Help

ARCHIVE

reader's workshop mini lesson

>

misswalton

reader's workshop mini lesson
Old 07-28-2010, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have (after googling for a whole hour) have a wonderful long list of readers workshop mini lesson ideas.... I now need a timeline on when to teach them. Does anyone have a reader's workshop mini lesson timeline?? When do you teach what and/or in what order. Same for writing if anyone has it. Thanks!!!

misswalton is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teachkids

set lessons and flexible ones
Old 07-28-2010, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I try to look at my curriculum units and see which mini-lessons fit best where. Some are obvious - like how check-out books would be at the beginning of the year. And I fit in some good drawing conclusions/inference lessons with my mystery unit. And I make sure to hit summarizing and context clues hard before testing. I also try to do a few context clues lessons in October, because it's such an important skill they can use all year long to build vocabulary. I also look at my state standards and choose 2-3 really important ones to focus on each month; that influences my selection of mini-lessons a lot.
But I definitely leave some open because part of the beauty of reader's workshop is that you observe kids reading and then teach what they need. Or I've even taught a mini-lesson based on what I've been reading: If I find myself using a strategy in MY real-life reading that I really want the kids to use, I do a mini-lesson on it so they can see that I use those strategies too.
When thinking about how to organize your lessons, you might want to check out Debbie Miller's Reading with Meaning. Even if you don't teach 1st grade (and I don't) it's helpful for envisioning the workshop in a real-life classroom.
luv2teachkids is offline   Reply With Quote

LindyJo

MissWalton
Old 07-29-2010, 04:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Would you mind sharing your list??
LindyJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lovewords

reading minilessons
Old 07-29-2010, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I start out using the first 20 days from Guiding Readers and Writers by Fountas and Pinnell (roughly), which is basically teaching the independent reading procedures. Then, I usually concentrate on questioning and visualizing, and then summarizing. But I agree with luv2teachkids, it depends upon the students' needs. If you can get a copy of Guiding Readers and Writers and/or Strategies That Work, they are my "bibles." Good luck!
Lovewords is offline   Reply With Quote