Help

ARCHIVE

Website

>

rlyndecker

Website
Old 07-28-2010, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had a Google site through school last couple of years and it was fine, easy for me to upload the HW/upcoming news etc. but a lot of parents had trouble getting on it. It has a HUGE address and is through the district so when the district network was down, it was down. So this year I bought my own domain, my roommate made me a GREAT looking site using a program called Rapidweaver BUT it's not as simple to use as we thought so she would have to do A LOT of work to keep the website up to date & since I need to be able to do it myself, I was hoping to find something that I could use to just transfer the files that she created using Rapidweaver into that would be easy to upload stuff. Someone referred me to "Microsoft Expression" but that is PC only, I need something for the MAC where it can be my domain & I can do the work! Thank you for any advice you can give me!

rlyndecker is offline   Reply With Quote

ilikenonsense

Old 07-28-2010, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use weeble, it works great! You could also try microsoft frontpage...im sure they have a Mac version of that
ilikenonsense is offline   Reply With Quote

only4Him

Old 07-28-2010, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Can you just use iweb that comes with the Mac?
only4Him is offline   Reply With Quote

8GATEACHER

iweb user
Old 07-28-2010, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have found that iweb is by far the easiest and most efficient use of my time and efforts in creating and keeping the class webpage going.
8GATEACHER is offline   Reply With Quote

Celts

Googlesites
Old 07-28-2010, 08:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use googlesites with my own domain name. They let you link it so your class just types in your domain name but it takes them to your googlesites page.

Celts is offline   Reply With Quote

rlyndecker

How????
Old 07-28-2010, 09:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Celts-How did you do that? That would be the easiest! I am guessing I have to somehow "point" google to my domain?

Everyone else-for iweb is it easy to upload & stuff? I will have to check that out & see if frontpage is for MAC.

Thank you!

Celts

Here's How:
Old 07-29-2010, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Once you are logged in to your google site, click on "more actions" in the top right corner. Then click on "manage site." Next, in the left hand column, click on "web address." On this page you can add your domain name. You can click on the "Learn More" link on that page for detailed instructions.

I hope that helps! I had a similar issue - the google site web address is just too long, so I purchased my own domain name. That is the address I give out to the kids and parents.

rlyndecker

Didn't work
Old 07-29-2010, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It didn't give me any choices for managing site or web address...I wonder if it was because it is run by the district?

Celts

hmmm...
Old 07-29-2010, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Does your district use google sites and you just have a link off of their webpage? Or do you have your own google sites account (registered with a gmail address?). If not, the solution may be to set up a google sites account of your own. How do you edit the content on your page currently?

rlyndecker

Totally Confused
Old 07-30-2010, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Okay-I have a gmail account personal (iluvkittie) that I had set up as a "throw-away account" for my rental (I didn't want the tenants to have my real email...long story). Anyway, for my website it was set up with the district so yes, the district uses google sites. To edit, I log into the site from the site (so at the bottom of my home page it has a link that says "sign in" so I sign in with the school address & password they gave me. Then I can just make the edits directly on the page or I can click on html & do it that way too.

If I am understanding you though, I can create a site using my iluvkittie address and then "point it" to missdecker.net?

I can't believe how complicated this is, it's very frustrating & I appreciate your help TREMENDOUSLY!

Celts

Old 07-30-2010, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Since you own missdecker.net, I believe you can set it up so if someone types in "missdecker.net" it will go to whatever site you want it to. There is a way to transfer all of the work you created on your current page to googlesites if you create one, but it seems very complicated.
http://www.google.com/support/sites/...n&answer=90558

My suggestion would be to use your gmail address to create a googlesite. It is easy to maintain. Once you sign up with googlesites, type all of your info, and you can upload pictures etc very easily. Then you can point missdecker.net to your googlesite page (that way when people type in missdecker.net, they will be directed to your googlesite page). If you want to give me your email I can send you a link to my webpage so you can see what it looks like.

rlyndecker

Email
Old 07-30-2010, 09:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

iluvkittie at gmail dot com

I would love to see your site. I will have to see what my roommate thinks (she did all the HTML from the other site)

THANK YOU!